Price check on JM stamp d Marlin lever-actions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    I have a guy who I have done business with once offering a few Marlin lever actions. I'm kinda new to collecting and was wondering if the pricing is fair. They seem high to me but this is more from a gut feeling than knowledge. All are Marlins, JM stamped and like new condition. Here are the firearms:

1894c 357 with box - $1100
    1894cs 357 with box -$1200
    Stainless 44 mag -$1500.

Any advice from those who are more experienced would be much appreciated. I love revolvers and lever guns and would I grab one with "collector" value. Thank you!!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Those prices are about spot on full retail. The 357 1894 is hard to find for sale. The stainless 44 mag is over retail unless it is a limited they sold a ton of stainless 44 mags. To find them with boxes is rather rare adds value.

Truely the best price is the 1894 c pre safety 357. Worth more than the CS to most.

Picked up a 357 1894 cs for 800 near mint. Sold it to a co worker. No box.

for collector it is always best to pay below retail as you have value without time. The major price increase has happened already. Now value will increase but slower.

Last marlin purchase here here was a stainless 45-70 guide. A Davidson limited 1 of 501 made. 1000 no box. Stainless laminated mint with the marlin sticker still on forearm.

Pm me with any marlin questions. Go to lots of shows and big marlin lever fan.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    It think happens when ever something major changes to a company.

kimber moves to New York. klackmas kimber up in value.
    colt moves away from double action revolvers . Snake guns go up in price.
    Savage stops production of the model 24 rifle/shotgun combo. 24's go up.
    us repeating arms ends the 9422. Prices of all 9422 double.

could give so many other examples. Just the gamble you take to a point when you buy a gun for mainly investment reasons. You can never tell which ones will be the jewelry and which one will be the paricord bracelet.

The recalled rem pistol might just be one of the gem's of late. Not many sold before the collapse of the gun and recall. Bad publicity has led to not many others moving off the selves. The gun is not a good choice but that has never seemed to stop a pistol for latter being collectible.

Got lucky with marlins. Had 39a's 39c's 39d's and Mounties. 1894's 336's and 1895's already in the safe. Just picked up more right as the announcement was made. I think the market prices have slowed up the rapid increase now.

Imeagher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Hate to thread hijack but you sound like you have a good idea of the value of marlin rifles. I was offered a early 70s model 336 in 30-30. What would be a fair price for one in good condition and if it was in excellent condition? I haven't seen it yet but was told in was in great shape. Thanks in advance.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    JMHO but I think part of the allure with JM stamped Marlins were that the newer Remilin versions used the microgroove rifling which wasn't so good. Now, at least for the model 1895, they are using ballard type rifling which is much better. I will agree the fit, finish and so forth is better on the older marlins. But with most recent rebate, I just bought a 1895 45/70 brand new for 523 out the door and have a 100 rebate coming. Where can you find an old one for 423???? I'll enjoy the new one.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    336 RC with JM stamp 350-640 depending on shape and greed of seller. Those are the main stay regular carbine rifles. Must be millions of them around in 30-30 so they should go in the lower tier of those prices. The older nice ones seem to be the ones that have the greed factor. They have no scope attachment holes (hopefully) and are referred to as waffle tops.

Muraders Texans saddle ring carbines limiteds SC models have higher values as far fewer were made. The price should go with rarity and these are still 336 models just a little differently made than the basic 336 RC models.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    I think those prices are way high since Indiana opened up the gun laws for deer hunting. Now that you can use most calibers in bolt or semi-autos the levers have went down. Don't get me wrong, the JM stamped is the way to go for a lever action. But they are not worth as much now as a couple of years ago.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've got a couple JM stamped Marlins, one I'll never sell. The other is an 1895 Stainless 45-70. I bought it awhile back and thought I'd use it, however it has never come out of the safe. I had also planned on threading one and suppressing it but I can't do that to a JM stamped barrel!
    If I were to sell it what should it be priced at? I honestly haven't ever sold any and the other places I've looked haven't given me the best feel for what they are worth. Not trying to make a lot of money on it as much as I hate putting something up and my price being to high. I sold a gun once for a friend on here and I was embarrassed by the original price when I found out what the gun was actually worth (no one wants to be that guy). So what is fair?

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've got a couple JM stamped Marlins, one I'll never sell. The other is an 1895 Stainless 45-70. I bought it awhile back and thought I'd use it, however it has never come out of the safe. I had also planned on threading one and suppressing it but I can't do that to a JM stamped barrel!
    If I were to sell it what should it be priced at? I honestly haven't ever sold any and the other places I've looked haven't given me the best feel for what they are worth. Not trying to make a lot of money on it as much as I hate putting something up and my price being to high. I sold a gun once for a friend on here and I was embarrassed by the original price when I found out what the gun was actually worth (no one wants to be that guy). So what is fair?

If you want to know prices of JM Marlins, talk to the experts at Marlin Firearms Forum.

I recently purchased a 1971 Marlin 336 for just over $400 OTD.

I purchased a JM 1894c in 2009 for $550. I can get $1100 for it now, but I am not ready to sell it.

The OP's prices are high, but I suspect the seller will find a buyer at those prices, or close to them.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Gunbroker.com shows the following completed sale prices:

1. 1894c 357 - $850-$1,000

1894cs 357 - $755-$845 sale prices; but many of these saw auctions close with zero bids.

Stainless 44 mag - $855-$1,595 sales; several remain unsold or with zero bids.

In general, the OP prices are reasonable, but on the high side..

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    I stated back in August that those prices were too high. I think these two rifles are listed on armslist again today and have been listed several times without being sold. I rest my case.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I stated back in August that those prices were too high. I think these two rifles are listed on armslist again today and have been listed several times without being sold. I rest my case.

Prices on gunbroker.com seem to verify your assessment. Folks at marlinowners.com are ambivalent. Some are willing to pay those prices, especially for the 1894c.

My my opinion is to wait until the price drops.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Depends, how much is the box worth? Bought a JM 1894 in 44 mag (circa 1982) last year for $630 and that was Cabela's. Bought a 1/2 mag JM 336 in 30-30 with an untouched waffle top made in the early 50's for around $400 last year also at Cabela's. I wasn't looking but it was a really nice gun and the price was right. Bought a JM 1894 Cowboy limited 45 Colt made in 1996 last month for $900. The JM 39A I have was made in the early '50's with ballard rifling cost under $350 but that was a little over 10 years ago. For comparison I also acquired a "collectable" Winchester 1892 Chief Crazy Horse in 38-55 with the box for $850 this summer. All the above are in really nice condition and not beat up. Considering the box is included it still seems a bit high. Now, concerning the micro grove. Marlins made prior to 1954 I believe had the ballard rifling. I think all since then have micro groove other than the cowboy models. My 1894 Cowboy limited in 45 colt made in '96 has the Ballard rifling. P.S. ... I won't say how much I paid for a Marlin 1893 deluxe takedown in 38-55 that was made in 1898...................

Last edited:

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Obligatory pic. All Marlins except the last.

Top to bottom.... 1893 made in 1898 38-55
    early 50's 336 waffle top 30-30
    early 50's 39a .22
    early 80's 1894 44 mag
    '96 1894 cowboy limited 45 colt
    Winchester Chief Crazy Horse 38-55 unfired for the time being but that will change.

] [/IMG]

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Max volume:

your 1950's 336 waffle top appears to be a 336 SC or sporting carbine. 2/3 tube length gives that away.
    it is missing a front sight cover which are hard to find but Are available. The RC or regular carbine are far more common. It is also old enough to have the perch belly forearm.

Top Bottom