• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Today I was able to take advantage of the nice, hot weather, and take a few of my rifles to the range. This included taking my AR out for the first time. Well, things did not go well. The short list of issues I had today were:

1) Fail to feed (this happened a LOT)
    2) Rounds getting jammed upon feeding
    3) Fail to hold open on the final shot.

These all happened to me while using p-mags. At first I chalked the issues up to it being a brand new AR, and maybe is needed to be "broken in" so to speak. Well, I then ran a magazine through one of my Bravo company steel mags, no issues at all. To test it again, I reloaded the same magazine three more times, and I only had one fail to hold open on the final shot. Over four or five Pmags, I had issues with all of them. Unfortunately, I only had the one bravo mag with me, so I couldn't test it on the other ones.

Am I crazy, or is this a simple magazine issue here? Do I need to dump my magpuls in favor of the steel mags?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Need more information what type of AR?

1. Ammo issue sounds like it's short stroking

2. Clean and lubed?

3. Buffer tube/ buffer/ buffer spring

I have seen on some of the budget AR,s issues with the buffers not being quite right lately.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Need more information what type of AR?

1. Ammo issue sounds like it's short stroking

2. Clean and lubed?

3. Buffer tube/ buffer/ buffer spring

I have seen on some of the budget AR,s issues with the buffers not being quite right lately.
    Alrighty. It's a mid-length adams arms upper, on an INGO lower, with a PSA build kit. It was cleaned and lubed, as it was never fired before today. As for the ammo, I wondered if that could be the issue, but I was shooting a mix of federal and ZQI, both quality brands.

EDIT: Before anyone asks, I played with the gas valve on both settings. Didn't change anything

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    bolt catch, bolt catch spring, bolt catch plunger, bolt catch roll pin. Make sure they are installed correctly and the spring isn't bent or broken.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So number 1 and 2 is out of the mix

1. magazine catch is not long enough

2. Back to buffer assembly

I would doubt a gas issue if it's working with a GI mag.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Try a different lower that is known to work. I have 2x of the INGO lowers and have noticed some tolerance stacking issues with them(i.e.some USGI mags not dropping free, pivot pin hole out of spec).

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Try a different lower that is known to work. I have 2x of the INGO lowers and have noticed some tolerance stacking issues with them(i.e.some USGI mags not dropping free, pivot pin hole out of spec).

:yesway:
    Agree with this. We have 2 from the first run and have noticed the same thing. Enough that it caused us to change one of the builds. Another lower would at least eliminate that.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    My AR buddy at work recommend the same thing due to the same issues. I'll give it a try next time I hit the range with him. I appreciate the heads up!

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Using a tried and true lower should tell you a lot.

As for the rifle not locking open, if you are comfortable with it, pull the bolt catch assembly and change it out completely. If it still doesn't work after that pull it again and clip one coil on the wider end of the spring to reduce the spring's tension before re-assembling it.

Top Bottom