• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mgdiaz1993

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    Looking into picking up my first "real' bolt gun(I've had mosins before) and the Savage Axis is looking pretty tempting, especially with the threaded barrel since it seems like the HPA is garnering support. Does anyone have real world experience with them?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Have shot a few of the Axis models. Did a review series on one of the Factory Heavy barrel models in 243 as well as 22-250. They shoot well for what they are in factory form, the factory stock is not great for anything other than mainly a hunting rifle. The factory Axis trigger out of the box is pretty much like dragging a bag of concrete mix through a gravel driveway, but for the money spent their a decent rifle. Just keep in mind for a little more money you can get into a real Model 10 Savage were you get some really nice features, such as a Heavier profile barrel (if that's important to you) Accustock and Accutrigger which are vast improvements over the Axis. Just something to keep in mind, here is a couple videos that may help answer a few questions and give you some different options, feel free to check them out...

[video=youtube;0osxs_LCzsE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0osxs_LCzsE&t=216s[/video]

[video=youtube;eZC7hH0rfhI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZC7hH0rfhI&t=315s[/video]

[video=youtube;cQmOyd2dmbc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQmOyd2dmbc[/video]

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    The only good thing I could say about mine was that the barrel was accurate. Aftermarket upgrades for the Axis are pretty much impossible to find. However, my experience was limited to the model called the "Edge" before it was renamed to "Axis". From what I have gathered now, they make a model with the Accutrigger, which was my biggest complaint about the rifle. The trigger, as sgreen said, is so heavy it will throw your shot. However, I was able to get sub-moa groups when I took my time and did my part, which was a pain in the butt when you are pulling an 8 pound trigger for accuracy and precision. The stock is hollow, which also sucks, but you can easily fill it and make it better.

If you are wanting a cheap hunting rifle, it will fit the bill because it is very light weight and you can cut the trigger spring a bit to make the pull a little better, unless you go with the Accutrigger model. Or if you just want a fun range toy for cheap and don't mind it. The first time I took mine to Wabash to stretch it out at Bass N Bucks, I ended up trading it in right then and there. I realized very quickly that it just wasn't good enough for what I wanted. There are better rifles out there for not much more money... and especially if you buy used, you can pick up something that is so much better.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Can you swap out for an accustock later? I'm not sure if they make them for this model

No an Accustock will not work, two different actions between the Axis and the standard Savage rifles.. Like mentioned if your wanting a budget minded option with better features up front, the Savage FCP-SR with Accustock included or The Hog Hunter that I posted the video on can be had for very reasonable money and then any model 10 Savage stock will fit.. Spend a little more up front to save some heart ach in the end....

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Savage makes some good bolt guns, but last year I decided on a Ruger Precision 308 and couldn't be happier with it.
    Takes regular 308 p-mags and AR stocks, grips, and free float forearms.
    Standard threaded barrel with a decent muzzle brake and the trigger adjusts down to about 1.8lbs
    I got mine on sale for $1050.
    Mine currently sports a Magpul PRS stock, Hogue grip, Vortex 4x16x50 FFP, Harris bipod, and a SilencerCo Omega supressor.
    I took it to a 3 day bolt gun class in April and hit 4" steel plates at 400yds no problemo.

sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    Boyds makes a nice replacement stocks for the Axis. Timney makes a good replacement trigger.
    I like my Axis in 223. I haven't put the upgrades on it yet.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Bad thing about it is by the time you buy the Boyds stock and the Timney trigger, you can buy a FCP-SR out of he box and have a nice trigger with an aluminum bedded stock... I'm not saying the Axis doesn't have its place.. it does. If your not looking for anything more than just a gun to maybe hunt with and shoot some cans at the range, the Axis is a great choice. If your ultimately wanting more out of rifle, you'll be money ahead getting one of the Model 10 options....

mgdiaz1993

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    Gents thank you for your replies, and sorry for the delayed response, it's been a long couple days.

I've been wanting a bolt gun for a little bit, and saw this for a good deal and decided to pull the trigger (no pun intended) My plan for now is to stay under 500 for gun optic and all. For the longest time I've stated that anything past 300 yards is someone else's problem in my book, but just wanted to cut my teeth on a bolt gun.
    At this point in time I think the axis sounds like it will suit my needs, although the trigger may need some work, ut really I just wanted a budget bolt gun, and this one happens to be the exact price I got for my Taurus PT111. Also I need way more trigger time and some optics on my AK before I take on another platform seriously haha. Thank you for your input.

mgdiaz1993

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    Although for what it's worth, I did see a model 10 for 500 on armslist today and kinda thought to myself "Is an extra $230 really all that much?"

Top Bottom