Join INGunOwners For Free

Poll: Is no fwd assist on an AR-15 a deal breaker?

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Forward Assist - Do you "need" it. Why?

After browsing some AR-15's I noticed that some come with FWD Assist and some do not.

After doing some research I found mixed reviews regarding the necessity of a FWD Assist.

I found quite a few people who were all for the FWD Assist, but their reasoning was all theory based and not based on experience.

I also found several people, including military, who said they have never used it, even with the rifle being hot/dirty.

My question is, do you need a FWD assist on a basic civilian rifle. If yes, give your reasoning with practical applicable examples as to when you've needed to use it.

User Info Menu

Cuz it looks cool
    Quote Originally Posted by KJQ6945 View Post
    Jagee makes Beetlejuice look like a *****!

User Info Menu

***Kirk Freeman, Mr. Kirk Freeman, please pick up the extra exploding red courtesy phone. Mr. Kirk Freeman....***
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

If a rifle needs a forward assist then I would pass on buying it. Which is one of the many reasons I do not like about the platform. I prefer an AK which requires no type of assist except to pull the trigger to make it fire each and every time. Used the platform when serving in the Army and between having to use the assist as well as clearing jams is why the platform leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    Last edited by possum_128; 07-10-2017 at 07:22.
    “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” ― Benjamin Franklin

User Info Menu

Is it needed in a civilian rifle? No, not really. Is it something that is essentially a basic most always included feature? Yes.
    Pretty much unless you're building your own every upper comes with it. It doesn't take away from any other features or functions being there so to me it doesn't matter.

In response to your 3rd poll choice I present the front of the t-short I bought for my grand daughter. (Her father is a long time member here.)
    I'll get a picture of her in it with her dad later.

User Info Menu

Needed for civilian use: No....

The very few times I could have used one - I removed the round instead of using the FWD assist. Granted if it was in 3 gun competition; I would have used the FWD assist. Guess it depends on your definition of civilian use.

Probably won't buy one without just because the market expects it as a "feature".

User Info Menu

Necessity depends on what you're doing with it. If it's a toy, nothing is necessary.

For serious work, I would not consider a rifle without a FA. Even if you never have a malfunction, you use it to make sure the bolt is closed after a chamber check.
    L'otters are not afraid.

User Info Menu

Even the original design of the Ar15/M16 didn't call for a FA. It wasn't until the issues with ammo in Vietnam that it was added to the platform. So Stoner himself didn't even draw it in.
    The fact is if you need to use the FA to push the round in theres another issue with the gun that needs to be addressed b4 you pull the trigger. Be it a weak spring, chamber obstruction or ammo related.
    The FA is just a hold over from times gone by, it's not needed.
    BTW, my Armalite AR10's don't have it nor do a lot of companies use them anymore
    Follow me on Instagram @gunrunner219

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Necessity depends on what you're doing with it. If it's a toy, nothing is necessary.

For serious work, I would not consider a rifle without a FA. Even if you never have a malfunction, you use it to make sure the bolt is closed after a chamber check.
    +1... who is going to turn down a feature that could potentially fix a problem?
    I Have the Worst Crew Ever

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by possum_128 View Post
    If a rifle needs a forward assist then I would pass on buying it. Which is one of the many reasons I do not like about the platform. I prefer and AK which requires no type of assist except to pull the trigger to make it fire each and every time. Used the platform when serving in the Army and between having to use the assist as well as clearing jams is why the platform leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    The Ak actually kinda does have a forward assist; the charging handle. If a round doesn't seat, you just jam it forward.

I Have the Worst Crew Ever

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast