Service Grade Winchester M1s available for mail order through the CMP...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I just noticed on the CMP rifle sales website that Service Grade Winchester M1s available for mail order at $930. If a fella was looking to get a desirable M1 Garand, this would be a great opportunity. I doubt these will last very long, so if you are so inclined, I'd jump on it. Keep in mind, the only guaranteed WRA part on these rifles will be the receiver. The CMP Service Grade rifles, as are most 70 year old battle rifles, are generally a mix of SA, WRA, IHC or HRA parts. The odds are also pretty good that they will be wearing new CMP stocks.

M1 Garand - Civilian Marksmanship ProgramCivilian Marksmanship Program

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    They are not accepting orders from customers that have already purchased a Winchester this year. I think that puts the odds in your favor. It rules me out [sad face]. I bought a Winnie in March at the North Store. Besides, 8 M1s are enough! (...my GF, Kathy just laughs laughs when I say things like that!)

I will look forward to seeing your pictures! GOOD LUCK!!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well, I thought my order had fallen through the cracks but fedex told me I have a package coming tomorrow! :rockwoot:

They lied. it will be there Wednesday. Oh, and your boss said you need to stay late at work. nevermind the creeper hanging out in your drive. Its just a service van surveying for construction work... yeah... thats it. :):

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    They lied. it will be there Wednesday. Oh, and your boss said you need to stay late at work. nevermind the creeper hanging out in your drive. Its just a service van surveying for construction work... yeah... thats it. :):

Yeah, sucks to be me. In DC today, Langley AFB tomorrow, back in DC on Thursday...luckily it will be delivered to my HHQ location with a heavily armed contingent known as SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) defending the delivery against random lurkers.

That construction crew better be wearing body armor...:cool:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, sucks to be me. In DC today, Langley AFB tomorrow, back in DC on Thursday...luckily it will be delivered to my HHQ location with a heavily armed contingent known as SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) defending the delivery against random lurkers.

That construction crew better be wearing body armor...:cool:

I'd rather wrestle a badger in my underwear than go up against an angry wife. Noooo thanks!

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I seen the FB post for [FONT=&quot]CMP is accepting orders for the Special Field Grade and .308 Specials.
    wish i could get a .308 M1

[/FONT]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I seen the FB post for [FONT=&amp]CMP is accepting orders for the Special Field Grade and .308 Specials.
    wish i could get a .308 M1

[/FONT]

yeah, I'm torn on that one. Dont like the though of having to either add an adjustable gas block or use specific M2 ammo. But also dont like how a 308 just isnt true to the rifle's history.

But man, I want to hear that ping for myself. (I have fired TJs, but would love my own)

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    yeah, I'm torn on that one. Dont like the though of having to either add an adjustable gas block or use specific M2 ammo. But also dont like how a 308 just isnt true to the rifle's history.

But man, I want to hear that ping for myself. (I have fired TJs, but would love my own)

Although since, I acquired this addiction a decade ago, I have always used the Greek HXP M2 Ball from the CMP, the CMP's supply has dwindled(...even though I picked up 360 rounds from the CMP last week at 71 cents a round shipped). In the last few years, several ammunition manufacturers have stepped up and are making point thirty dash ought six loads specifically tailored for the M1. Twice in the last several months, Midway has put modern M2 Ball Spec ammo on sale for prices that rival the CMP's prices. I believe the last offering came to around 68 cents a round shipped.

Oh and regarding the .308 M1s...the Navy would, I believe, take exception to your statement...

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2013/12/23/762x51-mm-nato-us-navy-garand-rifles/

If I were a hand loader and not totally committed to the bigger cartridge(...I have 8 M1s), I would seriously consider one chambered in .308.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I must have gotten one of the last ones available. :rockwoot: I'll be interested to see what it is other than a Winchester receiver...whatever it is I'll be glad for it. I plan on taking my 89yr old dad to the range and surprising him with it...the same sort he used in WWII and Korea.

I'll really have to figure out that picture thing...used to be able to upload them here but apparently ran out of space. I tried to go back and eliminate some of my earlier pic posts but was not able to edit them (prior to the server move, loaded a couple of years ago) and yes I know there's a sticky...I'll go read it when I have time. Yes, I know there are a host of places I can go and create an account to upload photos but most of my media is anti-social. I'll finger it out...

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I just noticed on the CMP rifle sales website that Service Grade Winchester M1s available for mail order at $930. If a fella was looking to get a desirable M1 Garand, this would be a great opportunity. I doubt these will last very long, so if you are so inclined, I'd jump on it. Keep in mind, the only guaranteed WRA part on these rifles will be the receiver. The CMP Service Grade rifles, as are most 70 year old battle rifles, are generally a mix of SA, WRA, IHC or HRA parts. The odds are also pretty good that they will be wearing new CMP stocks.

M1 Garand - Civilian Marksmanship ProgramCivilian Marksmanship Program

DAMMIT!! 14 days late and no dollars short!:xmad: The safes full anyway, probably for the best!

Top Bottom