Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    You should be able to effectively take a 500 yard plus shot, with confidence, as long as you do your part.
    If you are taking shots that long, be sure you know that your backstop is sufficient.
    A .308 can travel a long, long way, and do considerable damage after that trip.
    NRA Instructor/Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

Grandmaster LockStocksAndBarrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danieldefense33 View Post
    ***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)68-201340" target="_blank">https://www.gunsmidwest.com/***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)68-201340

Shoot me your email LockStocksAndBareel. I tried posting the link but it looks like it isn't working. I apologize, I am new to the forum so I may be doing it wrong.
    You did just fine, DD33. I got it. Thanks for the heads up!
    God bless America!

Practicing traditional carry.

Originally Posted by
    eric001YUP! It's the difference between using purple and being purple...

Plinker
    My buddy has the dpms rifle, he bangs steel consistently at 600yds.

I did a whole review series on that vey rifle for my channel and have to say its probably one of my most favorite guns to shoot. 100% reliable as well as pretty darn accurate for what it is as well. I've had no trouble at all taking mine out to 500yrds and would take it a bit further if I had the range. As mentioned its more the shooter more so than the rifle that determines a rifles max distance, but to answer your question it will have no trouble taking on anything you need it to OP. I don't think these rifles get the fair shake they deserve as I believe their probably one of the best value AR308 options available IMO. Here are a few of the videos I did, feel free to check them out may help to answer a few more of your questions....

A reporter interviewing a Marine Sniper asked, " What do you feel when you have to shoot a terrorist"? The Marine shrugged his shoulders and replied "Recoil"

Great videos Sgreen3! Thank you for the information. Was very helpful in making my decision. I did wind up ordering one and I'm very excited to shoot it.

I've had my DPMS AR10 for about 2 years now and so today's ar10 might be slightly different. I love it! The trigger was horrible and I replaced it with a Geiselle 2+2 which made it a great shooter. It took about 150 rounds to break the barrel in but I can easily shoot groups of 1 1/4 at 100 yrds. Big differences in ammo. It seems to like the smaller (and cheaper) grain bullet weights better. Good price cna't go wrong.
    MPD742

Quote Originally Posted by danieldefense33 View Post
    Great videos Sgreen3! Thank you for the information. Was very helpful in making my decision. I did wind up ordering one and I'm very excited to shoot it.
    Great! I think youll like it quite well. Thanks!
    A reporter interviewing a Marine Sniper asked, " What do you feel when you have to shoot a terrorist"? The Marine shrugged his shoulders and replied "Recoil"

Expert
    As others have said most rifles are usually more capable than the shooters. I have a LR 308, I built the lower and purchased a DPMS upper with SS bull barrel, then installed a Vortex scope. Its not fully broken in yet but appears to be well under a 1 moa rifle. In my sons hands it is probably a 1000 yd+ target rifle. At my age (76), in my hands it is probably a 300 yd rifle. The longest confirmed sniper kill from a .308 was a distance 1,250 m (1,367 yd). Of course that was a top grade gun fitted with an equally fine scope and using high grade ammo. The .308 with good ammo and capable shooter is able to take most game (Deer, Elk etc.) at 300 yd. Personally unless shooting at mountain goats or sheep, I would have never exceeded 300 yards to avoid wounding an animal instead of a kill shot.
    Life member NRA - FFL -03 (Collector) life LTCH

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Very much appreciated!

Had mine out to 700 yds or so at 42769Vette's place a few years ago. Minute of man in 25mph, 45 crosswind with the right spotter. Still haven't shot it enough for proper break in.

It requires an O'dark30 workout, not layin' in the fart sack.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast