• ...and so much more!
  • danieldefense33

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2017
    Westfield
    Does anyone have the DPMS Oracle 308? Saw they are $574 after the rebate online and was thinking about getting one for coyote hunting. Just curious how this rifle runs and at what distance this rifle becomes unreasonable to hunt with. $574 is dirt cheap and I'd hate to pass up the deal if it's worth it. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Family man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Southern
    I have friends that have dpms ar10's they report thet are moa or better. So the rifle should not be a problem. Good ammo, and scope to match, and the question becomes how far can YOU shoot said combo accurately. Some people consider 100 yards lomg range other over 1000. I know most times with good equipment I am the limiting factor not the equipment.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    If you're just plinking 'yotes then I'd stick with the .223. Obviously the .308 has more stopping power but by the time the .223 runs out of gas, you'll be beyond what I would consider an ethical shot. Max distance? Heck there's stories of snipers taking enemies beyond 1,000 yards with a .308. I would not recommend that distance for coyotes unless you've got some serious hardware.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You should be able to effectively take a 500 yard plus shot, with confidence, as long as you do your part.
    If you are taking shots that long, be sure you know that your backstop is sufficient.
    A .308 can travel a long, long way, and do considerable damage after that trip.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I did a whole review series on that vey rifle for my channel and have to say its probably one of my most favorite guns to shoot. 100% reliable as well as pretty darn accurate for what it is as well. I've had no trouble at all taking mine out to 500yrds and would take it a bit further if I had the range. As mentioned its more the shooter more so than the rifle that determines a rifles max distance, but to answer your question it will have no trouble taking on anything you need it to OP. I don't think these rifles get the fair shake they deserve as I believe their probably one of the best value AR308 options available IMO. Here are a few of the videos I did, feel free to check them out may help to answer a few more of your questions....

[video=youtube;7qULXLlwXLs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qULXLlwXLs&t=35s[/video]

[video=youtube;_dC1_pC8C0I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dC1_pC8C0I&t=40s[/video]

[video=youtube;d9PLCaQ0a2s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9PLCaQ0a2s&t=396s[/video]

[video=youtube;orF_VUq1DGI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orF_VUq1DGI&t=61s[/video]

danieldefense33

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2017
    Westfield
    Great videos Sgreen3! Thank you for the information. Was very helpful in making my decision. I did wind up ordering one and I'm very excited to shoot it.

Tim Enyeart

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Marion
    I've had my DPMS AR10 for about 2 years now and so today's ar10 might be slightly different. I love it! The trigger was horrible and I replaced it with a Geiselle 2+2 which made it a great shooter. It took about 150 rounds to break the barrel in but I can easily shoot groups of 1 1/4 at 100 yrds. Big differences in ammo. It seems to like the smaller (and cheaper) grain bullet weights better. Good price cna't go wrong.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    As others have said most rifles are usually more capable than the shooters. I have a LR 308, I built the lower and purchased a DPMS upper with SS bull barrel, then installed a Vortex scope. Its not fully broken in yet but appears to be well under a 1 moa rifle. In my sons hands it is probably a 1000 yd+ target rifle. At my age (76), in my hands it is probably a 300 yd rifle. The longest confirmed sniper kill from a .308 was a distance 1,250 m (1,367 yd). Of course that was a top grade gun fitted with an equally fine scope and using high grade ammo. The .308 with good ammo and capable shooter is able to take most game (Deer, Elk etc.) at 300 yd. Personally unless shooting at mountain goats or sheep, I would have never exceeded 300 yards to avoid wounding an animal instead of a kill shot.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Had mine out to 700 yds or so at 42769Vette's place a few years ago. Minute of man in 25mph, 45° crosswind with the right spotter. Still haven't shot it enough for proper break in.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom