• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Been looking at places like PSA and the prices for parts are getting to be pretty affordable. So, if I were to get a .308 AR for just target shooting, not serious hunting or defense, should I just "build" one from parts off of like PSA or should I buy an AR10 like rifle off the ship from a brand name?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I wouldn't do either. Do what I did. Spend just a tad more and go over to schuyler's and buy a complete aero M5 upper and complete M5 lower. Done. Better quality than PSA

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    IMO you will not find a better deal for usable out of the box AR308 variant rifle, than the LR308. They can be had for very reasonable money and shoot very well and have been 100% reliable for me. Ive only had the chance to shoot one of the PSA rifles and just wasn't impressed with it, but it was one of their early models. I did a review series on the LR308 Oracle check out the videos the performance kind of speaks for its self..

[video=youtube;7qULXLlwXLs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qULXLlwXLs&t=35s[/video]

[video=youtube;_dC1_pC8C0I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dC1_pC8C0I&t=40s[/video]

[video=youtube;d9PLCaQ0a2s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9PLCaQ0a2s&t=396s[/video]

[video=youtube;orF_VUq1DGI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orF_VUq1DGI&t=61s[/video]

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    I had been looking for ar10 platform for a bit too I really wanted to try a diamondback db10 18" seemed like a decent price when I first started looking then the price seemed to rise slowly. My uncle just picked up a db10 16" "package" deal from cdnn sports for I think $799 accessories were pretty much junk but the gun is super light for a .308 there were some milling marks under the ejection port door and the castle nut wasn't tightened or staked. Pretty crappy for a new gun but still couldn't put it down when he showed me and was amazed how light it was. I ended up getting a heck of a deal built on an aero m5 set. Another company I was looking at was live free armory

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I wouldn't assemble one unless I was already invested in all the tools. Market is good for buying right now.

I would be looking real hard at the DPMS LR series shooters.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Been looking at places like PSA and the prices for parts are getting to be pretty affordable. So, if I were to get a .308 AR for just target shooting, not serious hunting or defense, should I just "build" one from parts off of like PSA or should I buy an AR10 like rifle off the ship from a brand name?

I kinda did both, I purchased the parts and pieces to build the lower, with Walnut furniture. Then I purchased a DPMS Upper with Stainless steel bull barrel, and installed a Vortex scope. I'm breaking the barrel in slowly but indications are that it is going to be well under 1 moa. The only ammo I have used so far is Remington and Winchester and have had zero issues.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Keep your eyes and ears open. I saw an M&P10 for sale used a few weeks back at a good price. There are some good deals out there, you just have to pay attention and be ready.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My very first AR build was a PA 10 from PSA (which prompted me to build 6 more in 5.56 :):) a couple of years ago and I've been very happy with it. They now have complete rifles for less than what I paid for the parts.

danieldefense33

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2017
    Westfield
    You can get a DPMS Oracle 308 right now for $574 off gunsmidwest.com. You just can't beat that deal. Just take a look at Sgreen3's review.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    LMT MWS 308. Pricey but worth every penny. You can quick change the barrel to other calibers as well(i.e. 243Win, 260Rem, 338Fed, 6.5CreedMoor, 7mm-08). There is a reason the Brits decided on this platform for their DMR. I have the 16" CL and it shoots fantastic.

Top Bottom