.243 Win barrel twist rates and bullet weights.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I recieved a Rossi single shot in .243 for a gift this year. Research shows it has a 1:10 twist. More research shows that is better for the lighter weight bullets, under 90 gr. I will probably be hunting deer with it this fall. Again, my findings suggest bullets over 100 gr for deer.

I have shot 100 gr Federal sp at 50 yards with good results but haven't stretched them out to 100 yds yet.

I have a box of Federal Fusion 95 gr I need to try also. The box says they are good for deer.

So I guess I'm asking about the lighest bullet weight for deer in .243 Win? Max range for this bullet if I do my part?

I will head to the range soon and test all ammo I have for accuracy but would like to hear your experiences first.

I am basically a n00b when it comes to high power rifle hunting. Previous deer hunting has always been a 12 gauge so any info will help.

Thanks.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have been using 80gr HPBTs since 89 with mine. I've made a clean kill on a Muley at well over 400 in Colorado and a couple over 300.
    I know my rifle. IF I can see it... I can hit it.
    You're looking at a great round. Very fast and flat. Speed Kills.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have been using 80gr HPBTs since 89 with mine. I've made a clean kill on a Muley at well over 400 in Colorado and a couple over 300.
    I know my rifle. IF I can see it... I can hit it.
    You're looking at a great round. Very fast and flat. Speed Kills.

Are these factory or hand loads?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Are these factory or hand loads?

Hand loads but it shot ALMOST as tight with Federal Premium in the same weight.
    34 gr 4064 CCI primers on once fired Federal Premium. Light end of the scale load. Old Lee cup loader system.
    That load was recommended in an OLD reloading manual I had. It's the first load I worked up for accuracy and hunting. It shot so well I didn't experiment any farther with the loads.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Here are my first groups with the 100 gr Federal softpoints @50 yards.

wCpeLJ8.jpg

(This is the first Imgur upload for me too)

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Hand loads but it shot ALMOST as tight with Federal Premium in the same weight.
    34 gr 4064 CCI primers on once fired Federal Premium. Light end of the scale load. Old Lee cup loader system.
    That load was recommended in an OLD reloading manual I had. It's the first load I worked up for accuracy and hunting. It shot so well I didn't experiment any farther with the loads.

What rifle are you using and what is the twist rate of the barrel?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have a 1989 Model 70 featherweight 1 in 9 twist, laminated stock, out of the box stock rifle other than a very old Simmons Presidential 6.5x24x50.
    I also have a Savage 110 I bought from an INGO buddy and it's not as accurate as the old Winchester. I think it's a 1 in 9 1/4 or something weird. I dont' think the rifle ever shot extremely well. I tried various ammo in it and never got better than 1 5/8" 5 shot groups at 100yds. And yes, I tinkered with all the little tried and true tweaks.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    My stepdad won a Rossi .243 at the VFW shoot at Roush today. He immediately handed it to me. I have no idea about .243 other than where to buy ammo. Any pointers? It also came with a bushnell 4-12x40 on top. I'm pretty stoked. It also has a bull barrel.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    B T, I am no expert, but I don't think, that 5 gr., of bullet weight, will matter .....

Bullet construction, is most important, I think .....

If the groups, you shot are around 1", then go to 100 yards, and try again .....

JMHO, as good as you are with a handgun, if the groups, are around 2", you should be ok .....

JMHO ..... YMMV .....

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    barnes 80g ttsx bullets. Loaded in their ammo now too. I have used em out to 200yrds(as far as i can shoot to edge of woods from stand in Arkansas) I have used speer 85grainers in the past , but they did not exit lengthwise, the barnes will. For some reason my little bro always seems to get that heading straight towards me shot. The 243 on deer with a GOOD bullet, is AMAZING.Oh, and I load those for me , my bro ,my dad and my bud.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I got that very same rifle within the last month. It shoots 87 grain softpoints very well. My reloads are running just under 3200 fps and are very affective on white tail. And lots of other critters too.

105's will not stabilize. They are sideways at 25 yards.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I was wanting to work up some fast loads for the .243. Something in the 3,800fps range but never got around to it.
    I ran a 6ppc over 3700 with decent accuracy. I tried some hotter loads but I could see a blue trail immediately through the glass.
    I read some guys were getting right at 4000fps with special jacketed bullets.
    I was just learning reloading then and didn't (still don't) know squat. I don't make up my own recipes. I only copy someone else's artwork.
    For the record I seldom load anything now. Box ammo has come a long way in the last few years. I hunt mostly after I get a rifle sighted in.
    I haven't had to touch the scope adjustments on my .243 Model 70 in at least 15 years.
    Buy GOOD bases and rings. Not Wally World Weaver anymore.
    Not only the gun will outshoot the shooter but so will the mounting and ammo.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I was wanting to work up some fast loads for the .243. Something in the 3,800fps range but never got around to it.
    I ran a 6ppc over 3700 with decent accuracy. I tried some hotter loads but I could see a blue trail immediately through the glass.
    I read some guys were getting right at 4000fps with special jacketed bullets.
    I was just learning reloading then and didn't (still don't) know squat. I don't make up my own recipes. I only copy someone else's artwork.
    For the record I seldom load anything now. Box ammo has come a long way in the last few years. I hunt mostly after I get a rifle sighted in.
    I haven't had to touch the scope adjustments on my .243 Model 70 in at least 15 years.
    Buy GOOD bases and rings. Not Wally World Weaver anymore.
    Not only the gun will outshoot the shooter but so will the mounting and ammo.

I've got Vortex rings and a Bushnell Banner scope. I never intended this to be a deer rifle as I thought I wouldn't have anywhere to hunt. If I had known that, I might have spent more $ on a better scope. I'll shoot this one a bunch more so I know what it and I are capable of.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I recieved a Rossi single shot in .243 for a gift this year. Research shows it has a 1:10 twist. More research shows that is better for the lighter weight bullets, under 90 gr. I will probably be hunting deer with it this fall. Again, my findings suggest bullets over 100 gr for deer.

I have shot 100 gr Federal sp at 50 yards with good results but haven't stretched them out to 100 yds yet.

I have a box of Federal Fusion 95 gr I need to try also. The box says they are good for deer.

So I guess I'm asking about the lighest bullet weight for deer in .243 Win? Max range for this bullet if I do my part?

I will head to the range soon and test all ammo I have for accuracy but would like to hear your experiences first.

I am basically a n00b when it comes to high power rifle hunting. Previous deer hunting has always been a 12 gauge so any info will help.

Thanks.

When talking about what bullets will be stabilized by a given twist rate it is not about the weight of the bullet as much as it is about the length of the bullet. Of course weight tends to go up as length increases but some bullet designs produce longer bullets for a given weight than others. The best bet is to try a bunch of different quality bullets and see what shoots the best for you. One thing I will caution you on, is that bullet weight is a poor substitute for tougher bullet construction. Plenty of deer have been killed with a wide variety of bullet types and bullet weights from .243s when everything goes right but when things don't go quite right you can save yourself a lot of headache and heartache by using a tougher bullet. A premium bonded, or better yet mono-metal bullet is cheap insurance.

Top Bottom