• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Evening all, From 2000 to 2008 I was doing the run and gun with IPIC. Then life took over now after 2 knee and one back surgery, I am finally retired. My son highly suggested that I look into bench rest shooting, so question is everyone hoping on bandwagon of 6, and 6.5 creedmore some very expensive rifles. Question is with every manufacturer making a 6.5, some at a very good beginner price, could you start out with a cheaper savage,ruger, howa, rifle and add to or build up as you can afford? I am no rookie to rifles, just was always a 45 man. your thoughts please?

Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    Personally I don't think you would go wrong with a nice Swedish Mauser, their chambered in 6.5x55 a great flat shooting round. You can still find that ammo at gun shows, its one of the best Mausers made, and their priced fairly reasonable. I just sold another really nice Swedish Mauser this year for around $450 and that rifle came with some accessories as well. Put thats just me.

As for the modern stuff I like the 6.5 Grendel, shot a friends AR that has that round chambered for it. I like it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The best answer will be found at a bench rest match. You will get plenty of ideas and solid advice from there. Plenty of guys start their bench rest careers with a standard hunting type rifle. The costs for a bench rest rifle can take your breath away..

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    A few of the matches I go to, there are a few guys shooting bone stock Savage BR rifles.. I personally have done very well with factory out of the box Savage and Howa rifles.. One thing to remember you don't have to spend a fortune to get started and to have a whole lot of fun. Then decide later if its something you feel like you need to dump more money into... :twocents:

Family man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Southern
    The best answer will be found at a bench rest match. You will get plenty of ideas and solid advice from there. Plenty of guys start their bench rest careers with a standard hunting type rifle. The costs for a bench rest rifle can take your breath away..

As can their groups.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Personally I don't think you would go wrong with a nice Swedish Mauser, their chambered in 6.5x55 a great flat shooting round. You can still find that ammo at gun shows, its one of the best Mausers made, and their priced fairly reasonable. I just sold another really nice Swedish Mauser this year for around $450 and that rifle came with some accessories as well. Put thats just me.

As for the modern stuff I like the 6.5 Grendel, shot a friends AR that has that round chambered for it. I like it.

First I have never shot in competition, but agree the 6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser is a good round, I have several different Mauser's from various countries and the Swedish is one of the most accurate.

However there is another military rifle that also has very good accuracy, the K31 Swiss in 7.5 X 55. I purchased one a few years ago with a scope mounted for around $400. The GP11 surplus ammo is really Match Grade ammo, it was quite reasonable, but prices have risen over the last 3 or 4 years. (I do have a pretty large stash so no problem for me).

My rifle has as pristine bore as any rifle I own, including several new ones. These were assigned to individuals and the persons receiving them were responsible for maintenance, any damage to the rifle were the responsibility of the individual and repair was paid for by him. I have never heard of any K31 that was in less then "as new" mechanical shape including bore. I would not be afraid of competing with any "hunting rifle" in a bench shooting competition, except I would let my son shoot as I can't see as well as I did a few years ago!

For those that reload, the 7.5 uses standard .308 bullets, the case capacity is actually a bit larger than the standard .308 Winchester and the straight pull bolt action is very strong (I have not heard of any mechanical failures), so should be able to reload to a fairly high velocity.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Attending a bench rest match is the best idea. See what others are actually shooting. Lots of used rifles are for sale from a New York gunsmith Bob White, google him and find his current site, somewhere on there is "The List". He has a hundred rifles for sale and probably that many used barrels in 6PPC or 6BR.

Accurateshooter.com is another site. visit the forum section and see what is for sale.

A good entry level would be a Remington 700 in a 6br. Brass is available, aftermarket triggers are common, barrels are easy to come by. Savage might have a rifle for the heavy class. IIRC, Light varmint class has a 10.5 pound weight limit, heavy class is 13 lb. Plan to spend $700-$1000 to start.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    having trouble finding benchrest matches, or long range match for that matter. Anyone have a list?

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Not sure about benchrest, or what your budget it. However, for under a 1000 you can have a sub 1/2 moa 6.5 or 260 remington Tikka T3x CTr. I have the gen 1 in .308 with a couple thousand rounds through it and it still shoots 1/2 moa when i do my part. A better shooter would probably do even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCZbUuHJb6U
    check out this video from Lowlight at snipershide.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Cool video, YouTube has some good stuff. Figuring 1000 counting scope and rings, leaning toward ruger predator model

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Attending a bench rest match is the best idea. See what others are actually shooting. Lots of used rifles are for sale from a New York gunsmith Bob White, google him and find his current site, somewhere on there is "The List". He has a hundred rifles for sale and probably that many used barrels in 6PPC or 6BR.

Accurateshooter.com is another site. visit the forum section and see what is for sale.

A good entry level would be a Remington 700 in a 6br. Brass is available, aftermarket triggers are common, barrels are easy to come by. Savage might have a rifle for the heavy class. IIRC, Light varmint class has a 10.5 pound weight limit, heavy class is 13 lb. Plan to spend $700-$1000 to start.

Classes, heavy and light. Are just a few of the things I need to learn

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Anyone know what type of long range shooting they do at Edinburgh

I assume you mean CIHPRS? We shoot mid (300, 500, 600 yards) and long range (800, 900, 1000, 1200 yards), both "sling" and F Class, which sounds more like what you're into. You'll hear some call it "belly benchrest." What questions do you have about the matches?

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Are these benchrest or prone? Could a cheaper rifle like tiger or savage 6 or 6.5 creedmore be used without being laughed at. What are the classes? Rookie at rifle matches, have always ran with ipes, run and gun. You help is needed, I'm too g to the match at the hide to watch, when are your matches? Thanks

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    CIHPRS - Events

All prone, but F class is shot from a rest or bipod in the front, and a sandbag at the rear. 10 ring is 1 moa, x ring is 1/2 moa.

"Sling" is shot prone with only a sling. The targets are twice the size as F class...1 moa xring, 2 moa 10 ring.

Can you be competitive with a factory hunting or even varmint style rifle? Yes and no. Doubtful you'll win, but then again its doubtful you'll win your first time out at Atterbury regardless of what you're shooting....there's several big dogs that shoot with us (National champ and national record holder level guys/girls).

For reference, I dabbled in F Class last year with a Savage 10 heavy barrel in an HS precision stock...good factory rifle/barrel, and good ammo. It's chambered in 308, so I was in the F-TR class. First relay, I shot a 191 out of 200, which was middle of the pack. There were 2-3 clean scores that same relay (200/200). That was my best acore for the day...wind picked up, and my rifle lost a bit of accuracy *most of it was me, though). Factory rifles can/do shoot great. Some even sub-moa. But not many (if any) can maintain that accuracy for 20+ rnds for a relay, or 60+ rounds for a day. In my opinion, that's what really separates the good factory rifles from the full custom jobs.

Bring what you've got out to a midrange match...you'll learn a ton and have fun, even if you're dead last. You won't be laughed at. Everyone has to start somewhere, and jumping into a $5000 custom before you know what you're getting into is a bad idea. I'm working on getting a couple buddies out with their factory Howa and Savage rifles. They won't win, but they won't be laughed at and they'll have fun.

2 divisions in F class. "F Open," which is anything .33 caliber and under, 22 lbs or less, and can be fired off a front rest or bipod. Right now the hot ticket seems to be .284 Win or a similar variant.

"F-TR" ( target rifle) is limited to .308 Win or .233 Rem, rifle must be 18 lbs or less, and must be shot off a bipod. Some will play with a .223 especially for midrange, but generally it's .308's running 185 gr or heavier bullets.

It's fun, even if you're finishing toward the bottom of the pack.

Last edited:

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Good thread, guys. I just built up a Savage 10 FCP-SR (24" bbl.) in .308. I have right at $1000 in the whole works, including really good glass. My brother and I should be at The Hide. I'm looking forward to meeting some guys and learning a bit about what this whole precision thing is about. Like most hobbies, I'm sure newcomers will be welcomed, helped, and treated well right from the start. Most of the reward and fun of hobbies comes from sharing and growing them with others.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Thanks guys, that is some great information. I too will be going to the hide, to watch and learn. So if you see a skinny old guy in shorts be sure to say hi.

Top Bottom