• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Picked this bad boy up today. The deal was to good, i wont say what i have in it but it was notthhinnggg.
    anyway, you get what you pay for. Had 2 or 3 hiccups on the first two mags... then light primer strikes over and over. Then FTE over and over. I pulled the trigger on the last bullet in my last mag for the da and CLUNK.

UH OH... my new gun sounds like a giant rattle. I removed the butt stock and what do i see?

some very important parts staring back at me. Dunno how i did but the gun disassembled itself whilst i was shooting it. Awesome. As soon as its fixed its going out the door.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2istv9c.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/vgo6sn.jpg

fun gun for about ten minutes. Next will be a real gun. 10/22 or smith and wess AR-22
    anyone know where these pieces go?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Bought a mossberg ar style 22 (715t i believe) a few years back. First mag all kinds of ftf and fte's. Second mag, the ejector fell out. Sent back for mossberg to fix and upon receiving back, exact same thing. Never shot a gsg but i know i will never use, buy, or recommend the 715t to anyone other than an enemy.
    Get yourself a 10/22 and accessorize it. They are great and probably the most reliable 22 you can buy

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    im suprised to hear that, if i figure out where the parts go ill maybe use some loc-tite To keep em in place and take it back to the range and give it another run. I value your word on these topics mr mouse.

Every manf. lets a turd out the door on occasion. I picked 2 of them up in a very convoluted series of trades. They were actually pretty fun.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My worthless 2 cents is you got it for a song because the previous owner didn't put it back together correctly. If I remember mine correctly, the parts in your hand should be tight in the back of the bolt assembly keeping everything in position.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Got it back together. It was actually very simple. I dunno if ill keep it or not. Wouldnt mind just getting some cash out of it and grabbing a 10/22.

the part went into a notch in the back, the reason it was hard initially was because i hadnt pushed the bolt all the way forway nefore disasembly. Id bet a lot of my malfunctions were due to this piece being so loose

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    From my experience most .22lr semi-auto's are ammo picky. My GSG-5 ran Federal bulk the best, Winchester was second with maybe 1-2 failures per mag, but if I had to buy Remington I would have 5-6 failures per mag.

The only real problem I had with mine was when the magazine literally came apart at the bottom while shooting. As magazines for it are not cheap it was a pain, but the rifle itself was always ready to go.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    ok my experience's with a gsg22 (its my dads, but since his safe is full its at my house)

#1-was having light firing pin strikes, one time I ran the same bullet through 4 times, and on the 4th time it went off, I called American tactical and they said the gun had a 3 year warranty to the original owner, I gave them the serial number, and the warranty had never been activated, so even with me being the 3rd owner (since it had never registered, dad bought it used), the person told me that I was "the original owner" and they would fix it, and the warranty started that day! I paid nothing! not even shipping! (they replaced the firing pin and spring)

#2 fired out of battery, and it ripped off the rim, and left the walls of the shell in the chamber, I couldn't get it out, I called American tactical again, and once again it went back, when the gun came back, they replaced the barrel, again no charge! (not even shipping)

#3 light firing pin strikes again, I called them again, told them what was happening, and that I though the replacement barrel might have been installed out of spec, they said send it in, and since it was the third time going back to them, that they'd take a good hard look at it, when it came back they had replaced the firing pin and spring again, and once more I paid nothing, not even shipping

since then, not a problem!

I have found that the gun really likes Winchester m22 ammo, and with a cheap bsa red dot sight, using the magazine as a "mono pod" I can make 1 hole groups at 25-35 feet, I was using it for our weekly pin shoots, (while I was building a 10/22)

NOW the biggest problem I had in all the 3 times it went back to the factory, you have to send in a mag with the gun!, not a big deal right? BUT the first time it went in, they didn't return it to me, I called them, and a week later they sent me a brand new one!

if I were you, I would recommend shooting it soon, and if there's a problem, get it to am tac soon, I think they have stopped importing that gun, and if that's the case, I bet the parts start drying up soon!

but as to your original post, it sound like the owner before you "fudged" with it, and that might be most of your problems

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I had a GSG-522 and a GSG-522SD at one point. Fun little guns to shoot and I LOVE the look of them (MP5 is on my wish list). Never had any real problems with them, but they were a pain to take down and clean. Plus, I was getting into suppressors and wanted to actually shoot .22 suppressed, not fake suppressed :) I was able to get rid of them for pretty much what I had in them.

Mossberg 715T? It was my first AR style gun. HA! P.O.S. Got rid of it like a week after I bought it.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I had one several years back and it was a jam o matic as well, no matter what ammunition type I tried. I traded it off and stuck with the 10-22 I already had Sheesh, neat concept but no dice for me.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    . Plus, I was getting into suppressors and wanted to actually shoot .22 suppressed, not fake suppressed .

gem tec made an adaptor, if you sbr'd your rifle, you could cut your barrel off flush with the front sight, and screw the adapter into the "fake suppressor threads" and it was 1/2x28 threads or a 3 lug quick connect

View attachment 57411

or if you paid enough, and were one of the lucky less than 100 people who were able to buy one, gemtec made a suppressed gsg 522sd(it had a built in suppressor just like the mp5sd), I know 2 people who own them, and both say they are quiet! (and fun!)

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I too had issues with my GSG (I am the original owner bought mine about 5 years ago). ATI sent me a new firing pin and spring and it has worked much better since. I also had 4 factory mags and all needed some sanding to operate properly. Also, it can be ammo picky and there is some ammo that will still lock it up like 2 dogs and these are: Geco, Fedreal Automatch, CCI Stingers (the ones with nickel plated case), Aguila Super Max High Velocity, Winchester Copper Plated HP (36 grain) and I would avoid all of those. Three others that I have tried that sometimes jam more than they should : Remington Cyclone, Remington Golden Bullet, & Remington Thunderbolt. Now for the best .22LR that I have found that operates in my GSG: Federal Game Shok Copper HP (38 grain) works the best and a few others that also work very well: Eley Subsonic HP, CCI Standard Velocity LRN, Remington Yellow Jacket HP. I shoot at my own property so I have time to be an ammo nerd and keep stats (also helps when company comes over so that I know what ammo works the best in each of my guns so we don't waste time with jamming issues). Good luck OP, stick with it, it can be a very accurate and fun .22LR to shoot (it also likes to be shot fast).

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    I think I had the most issue with my GSG mags not feeding reliably, which was frustrating for how expensive they were. They kept getting build up under the feed lips and the rounds would stop too low for the bolt to grab it. The mags had to be painstakingly disassembled and cleaned to work. Same with the gun. The first 1000 rounds shot flawlessly without cleaning the gun then it wouldn't cycle without getting every single speck of dirt cleaned out. Same issue as the post above with it being picky on ammo. It was great while it lasted but sold it to purchase something else.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I think the manual says to use high velocity ammo, so that is all I have ever run through mine. And yes, it is a PITA to break down and clean, but I have never had any issues with it...... knock wood.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Skimmed the thread. I had a GSG .22, mine was the original (pre law suite) had a metal lower and looked just like an MP-5 which is why HK sued them.
    They changed some things on it, one being an all polymer lower.
    As to the ammo, mine liked Federal bulk pack and CCI Mini-mags the best. Those guns can be very picky. In fact most .22's can be picky.
    This is the only Tacticool .22 I currently own. Because I like HK's and it is very reliable, the only ammo I buy anymore are the 100 round sleeves of CCI Mini-Mag 36gr. HP, PSA runs it on sale for $8.99 often with free shipping if you buy 10 or more boxes.
    Last time they did that I bought 20 boxes. I will NEVER be caught with my pants down again like after the sandy hook panic.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Where do you guys get good ammo local... or is that just not realistic? Ive cleaned her up. I put an add out to sell it but i wasnt very serious. I didnt have any bites and because im so suprised by the support behind this little thing im going to give it a few more go's and let it earn its place in my safe.
    ill have to do some calling monday and see if i can find some federal or CCI. I really want this thing to work.

Top Bottom