• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    Hello INGO, its been too long. I've regretted NOT getting a Saiga 12 since the ban went into effect. However, a few manufacturers have started to fill the void and I'd like to see if any of you have experience with some of these options. I have pretty well ruled out a Saiga due to the higher than reasonable cost created by the ban.

I fully intend to SBS the gun I select, which is my main reason for a box fed. Would like to keep the whole project including tax stamp, smith work, and mags under $2000

Options (Current Pricing from Atlantic Firearms):

* VEPR 12 $999:
    I have no experience with these. Folks generally seem to like them, may need a good bit of polish.

* UTAS XTR-12 $799: AR Ergos with drop free mags. Short stroke piston. Mags are pricey but available. Gas system not adjustable so it makes me a bit nervous cutting a barrel. I've seen exactly 1 video on YouTube with a SBS XTR-12 and reached out the poster to see if he has advice.

* DDI Cheetah 12 $599: Cheapest of the bunch. Has AR style buffer tube stock, AK pistol grip, Saiga forend. Everything seems compatible with something else. I called Atlantic Firearms to inquire about the DDI Puma (box fed bullpen 12 gauge) and the rep stated they weren't expecting any in. When I asked why they told me DDI had closed. Their FB page and website is out of date and the phone is disconnected. I'd hate to have issues and no support...

* Fostech Origin-12 $2500: Best in class. By far the most expensive. I'd have to save until the next election cycle to get this one...

* Genesis Arms GEN-12 (Vaporware): Looks perfect, but the site doesn't even have a phone number. They say they're shipping but the only video I've seen is theirs. I did a WHOIS lookup on the website and its registered under a service to mask the actual owner. Nothing wrong with that but this feels like it could be a big scam.

Today I'm leaning towards the XTR-12. Would be easy to cut and thread, the rest is probably good enough for me OOTB. $799 seems reasonable compared to the rest of the field.

I'd love to hear some thoughts especially if you have some experience with these or any other options I've missed.

v

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Why just not get an American made Saiga 12? The Kalashnikov KS-12?

I've read mixed reviews on the DDI, it had potential but the ball was dropped big time. Never heard of anyone regretting a VEPR besides maybe magazine costs.

I love my Russian Saiga 12, it was a good one and didn't require any tinkering (besides fitting an ALG trigger in it which was a PITA, and converting it wasn't too hard). The American made ones look pretty slick

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Add to your list a budget option....Catamount Fury. I have the Fury II which I got from PSA a couple years back fro $399.99. Currently running around $550, but occasionally on sale for $400. Not the quality of a Saiga of VEPR, but much cheaper. You can then buy and install a Catamount Reliability Kit for like $50 which helps. However, so long as I keep it clean and lubed and fire quality ammo out of it, it runs great and is a FUN gun.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    The traditional KS-12 is $825 and the tactical is $939. I'd likely add a red dot and neither come with a top rail so for the money I'd probably just get the traditional and update the furniture myself (extended rail from forend). I'll have to look harder at this one as it's in the ballpark for budget...

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I recently had an opportunity to spray some shot around with a Saiga. Darn thing sounded ignorant with a brake on the end. Boy did it shoot soft and fast. Fun range toy I would deem it.

The controls were stiff as all get out and you had to really man handle the thing. Found it to be big and awkward at best. Feel I would still be better off with the old pump stick. Much lighter weight and easier to run overall. Keep it loaded forever vs plastic ammo in a plastic mag will warp. Then the price tag. Yikes!

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I really want to like the XTR-12. Folks on this thread seem to think it's not ready for prime time... Who has a box fed SBS and loves it?

I also just discovered that FosTecH is an INDIANA company! I may just have to start saving... and selling.

Last edited:

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Who has a box fed SBS and loves it?

I have this Saiga-12 and LOVE IT, but it took a lot of work and help from folks like AllenM here on INGO to get it this way. :ingo:

leqFbJQ.jpg

Top Bottom