• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Any idea what caused it? I didn't notice any external indication of a squib (frankly, a couple shots before seemed light on smoke coming out the barrel, but a couple "normal" looking shots before the kB kinda mitigate that theory).

Would a too-much/wrong-kind powder situation in that specific round be an issue?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don't understand.

In the slo-mo, it looks like the front of the rear cover (or whatever that is) goes up at the same time the mag blew apart forwards. Maybe even a fraction before. Doesn't that seem like the kB was in the chamber?

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'd like to see the point of failure.

Century has had a pretty bad reputation for quality, and I hope this is not some kind of manufacturing weakness due to poor material choice or process.

It seems like maybe the gun fired out of battery? Maybe a lock lug sheared? Or maybe the previous spent casing tore or seized?

I think I'll wait to fire mine again until we find out a little more.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I hope we find out more. I don't know this guy or his website. I just saw the story posted elsewhere and thought it would be of interest.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    What I see:
    Smoke coming out of the muzzle and brass ejecting on the two shots prior.
    The bolt not moving during the explosion.

The blast blew stuff off of the receiver and had a forward burst of smoke, but nothing appears to come out of the barrel during that explosion. It could have been another stress test and they cooked off a round in the magazine. I'd be interested to know what ammo that was.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    FWIW, I once personally witnessed a split cartridge case in a SA M-1A and that was pretty much exactly what it looked like. Mag blew apart with a lot of gas escaping downward and the action partially cycled. The only difference I see between this and the one I saw is that this one also had a dust cover on it that blew upward, but everything else looks the same. The guy with the M-1A also had a badly burned left arm since he was wearing short sleeves.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This video is several years old and if I remember correctly it was a squib.
    You are right. The original post was just a couple days ago and I took it as a new incident. I read through the posts under the YouTube video. It is from 2014 and it was apparently a headspacing issue.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Looks to me like overload round happens more than you would think!
    During the manufacturing of bulk Military ammo you will have a number of rounds short on powder or over on powder.
    The M16 series will blow the mag out sometimes split the upper receiver.
    The "pop and no kick" happens more often!
    IMI ammo is the only one I know of that does not have issues.

Top Bottom