• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STARCOM

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    SW Indiana
    Here is a recent “torture test” on an entry level upper from Palmetto State Armory. Do you think it’s worth approx $250? The Iraqveteran8888 YouTube channel has some good videos. Personally, I've never seen anything fired that was built from PSA.

[video=youtube_share;7cr9e3N6HEw]http://youtu.be/7cr9e3N6HEw[/video]

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Definitely a torture test and the upper held up well. Like he said your average person is never going to do that and I've seen the uppers going for $160 so who could complain about that.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    These videos don't tell you anything important

Perhaps "important" should be defined by the user. It tells me the limits of the upper I purchased. As the man said, I will never run a meltdown scenario. For just learning the platform, plinking, a day at the range, target practice beyond the limits of a Marlin 336 or 1894, it will do just fine. Could probably even use it for an Appleseed or Revere's Riders training day. It also tells me not to go all Rambo on it, just for fun. I could even use it to teach my grandson how to shoot.

Those are all good things to know, for me anyway. I doubt it would be of much value to an expert, or one used to the high end ARs; but it is helpful for a noob.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Perhaps "important" should be defined by the user. It tells me the limits of the upper I purchased. As the man said, I will never run a meltdown scenario. For just learning the platform, plinking, a day at the range, target practice beyond the limits of a Marlin 336 or 1894, it will do just fine. Could probably even use it for an Appleseed or Revere's Riders training day. It also tells me not to go all Rambo on it, just for fun. I could even use it to teach my grandson how to shoot.

Those are all good things to know, for me anyway. I doubt it would be of much value to an expert, or one used to the high end ARs; but it is helpful for a noob.

Lol you'll never get close to those limits with any AR as you've stated.
    Does it tell you about accuracy? No. Does it tell you what your upper will run like when you shoot crap steel case ammo out of it? No ( any AR I own better run steel case ammo or it's not worth owning)
    I could.go.on and on but there's no point. These videos are.fun to watch. They offer no reliability testing for anyone other than someone who has a full auto lower they want to melt down uppers with.
    Those cheap uppers have their place with people who don't want to pay money for the better option. That why they still make bycicles Some people don't want to save for a car.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Not everyone has the resources to spend on high end. You are ignorant of the wide multitude of shooters. Also, if the listened to the video, he said he would be testing the reliability and accuracy soon. If you don’t like the thread…why post? Others find it useful…
    :cool:
    Well the thread needs some help so I'll post,my opinion. Like I said the meltdown vids are fun to watch and yes I did hear him say that in the video because he knows exactly what I've stated. A meltdown video doesn't tell you anything it's just fun. No I'm not ignorant of the multitude of shooters. I know exactly how cheap and out to save a buck most shooters are just to have the gun in their hands asap and be shooting. Also the multitude of shooters don't even worry about accuracy or reliability so sure this brand would be just fine for them.
    I don't know what your experience with AR's is and I won't assume, but what I post is based on my own knowledge ive gained and continue to do so and nothing else.
    I'm not a brand Nazi and I'm not wealthy, so for me every dollar counts when I'm buying or recommending a gun. I just am a fan of what works the best. Fancy boutique rifles aren't really my thing

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I set fires to feel joy
    3feeb6c6dd76ff82639356c5a0bdfddf--i-see-fire-fire-fire.jpg

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Well the thread needs some help so I'll post,my opinion. Like I said the meltdown vids are fun to watch and yes I did hear him say that in the video because he knows exactly what I've stated. A meltdown video doesn't tell you anything it's just fun. No I'm not ignorant of the multitude of shooters. I know exactly how cheap and out to save a buck most shooters are just to have the gun in their hands asap and be shooting. Also the multitude of shooters don't even worry about accuracy or reliability so sure this brand would be just fine for them.
    I don't know what your experience with AR's is and I won't assume, but what I post is based on my own knowledge ive gained and continue to do so and nothing else.
    I'm not a brand Nazi and I'm not wealthy, so for me every dollar counts when I'm buying or recommending a gun. I just am a fan of what works the best. Fancy boutique rifles aren't really my thing

IMO, most shooters will benefit more from owning one of those cheap rifles and shooting the hell out of it far more than they will benefit from an expensive rifle they can't afford to shoot much due to the high cost of entry imposed by the cost of the rifle. Your argument is kind of like saying that a 16 year old shouldn't learn to drive if they can't afford a Ferrari or Lambo to start learning with. Also, the accuracy questions are rather specious when talking about the AR platform and the stated purposes. It's a rare AR that is the accuracy limiting factor between the average shooter, the rifle, and the ammo. Absolute inherent accuracy certainly matters when you are talking about a heavy barreled varmint rig or a competition target rifle shot from a stable support where even small improvements in that inherent accuracy lead to more hits and higher scores. However, absolute inherent accuracy is far less important for unsupported close range defensive shooting. It makes far more sense to spend money on practice ammo and training for defenses purposes than to simply throw cash away seeking the most accurate rifle.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Here is a recent “torture test” on an entry level upper from Palmetto State Armory. Do you think it’s worth approx $250?

[video link deleted]

This video only reveals how soon exceeding the design limit for continuous max rate of fire will destroy the upper, and it's a measly sample of only one which you cannot hang your hat on statistically for any conclusions. This kind of abuse will destroy every AR15, M16 and M4 upper. It does nothing to show how much value one receives for its price. There's nothing here to use for an informed purchase decision beyond being out of the box functional (i.e. it fires .223 cartridges and cycles properly).

Might be entertaining for some, but for me it's a big "meh". If I want to watch a fire, I can light one in my fireplace or cook something on my outdoor grill.

John

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    IMO, most shooters will benefit more from owning one of those cheap rifles and shooting the hell out of it far more than they will benefit from an expensive rifle they can't afford to shoot much due to the high cost of entry imposed by the cost of the rifle. Your argument is kind of like saying that a 16 year old shouldn't learn to drive if they can't afford a Ferrari or Lambo to start learning with. Also, the accuracy questions are rather specious when talking about the AR platform and the stated purposes. It's a rare AR that is the accuracy limiting factor between the average shooter, the rifle, and the ammo. Absolute inherent accuracy certainly matters when you are talking about a heavy barreled varmint rig or a competition target rifle shot from a stable support where even small improvements in that inherent accuracy lead to more hits and higher scores. However, absolute inherent accuracy is far less important for unsupported close range defensive shooting. It makes far more sense to spend money on practice ammo and training for defenses purposes than to simply throw cash away seeking the most accurate rifle.
    That's not what I'm saying at all. If you think a $800-$1400 AR is comparable to a high end sports car then you're wrong. That the cost for a true military grade AR. Testing and proper manufacturing procedures costs money.
    It's called saving up your money to buy something good rather than poo.
    These lower end cheap Ar's have issues. This is a never ending argument. But spending $1000 on an AR hardly makes you a rich scum bag or an elitist. You get what you pay for. Anyone who tells you a $500 palmetto will keep up with and is the same quality as a bcm or.a.daniel defense, doesn't know what they are talking about. It's not opinion, it can be proven with science.
    If $1000 breaks you (because you can save up and not have to come up with it all at once) then You shouldn't be buying guns and ammo anyways.
    Many gun shops offer no fee layaway with a small percentage the as a down payment. Go find a quality AR at your local shop and put it in layaway. If you have trouble saving this will be the way for you to make sure you pay off your gun and have a piece that will hold value and last your children's children.
    The first time your $500 palmetto breaks down or needs a "break in period" you'll wish you'd have listened to sound advice.
    I've owned, insoected or worked on almost all of the main manufacturers Ar,s from high end to low end. I'm not just talking out of my ass like some do.
    I'm not trying to be an elitist. People who know me here know I'm not a rich guy. I just buy for value with the best quality. I'm not telling people to go buy a $3,000 Larue.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    That's not what I'm saying at all. If you think a $800-$1400 AR is comparable to a high end sports car then you're wrong. That the cost for a true military grade AR. Testing and proper manufacturing procedures costs money.
    It's called saving up your money to buy something good rather than poo.
    These lower end cheap Ar's have issues. This is a never ending argument. But spending $1000 on an AR hardly makes you a rich scum bag or an elitist. You get what you pay for. Anyone who tells you a $500 palmetto will keep up with and is the same quality as a bcm or.a.daniel defense, doesn't know what they are talking about. It's not opinion, it can be proven with science.
    If $1000 breaks you (because you can save up and not have to come up with it all at once) then You shouldn't be buying guns and ammo anyways.
    Many gun shops offer no fee layaway with a small percentage the as a down payment. Go find a quality AR at your local shop and put it in layaway. If you have trouble saving this will be the way for you to make sure you pay off your gun and have a piece that will hold value and last your children's children.
    The first time your $500 palmetto breaks down or needs a "break in period" you'll wish you'd have listened to sound advice.
    I've owned, insoected or worked on almost all of the main manufacturers Ar,s from high end to low end. I'm not just talking out of my ass like some do.
    I'm not trying to be an elitist. People who know me here know I'm not a rich guy. I just buy for value with the best quality. I'm not telling people to go buy a $3,000 Larue.

LOL, you are making a lot of assumptions, none of them warranted. The car analogy is spot on since you are advising people to buy a high performance rifle instead of simply a serviceable one when learning to shoot and defend themselves. Absolutely no difference than advising a new driver to start with performance car instead of something serviceable to learn with. Most people learn to crawl and walk before they start to run. I don't see anyone making the argument that a PSA will run with a DD or Larue, what people are saying is that for some users and some purposes the PSA is sufficient for their needs, especially for those new to ars just learning to shoot and operate one. Further, I reject the notion that someone the doesn't have or want to spend $1000 on AR shouldn't buy anything. FYI, I don't buy any complete ARs from any manufacturer. I build all my own.

Top Bottom