• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Hey all, looking for some recommendations for a new rifle for this years deer season. Ive looked at so many options but am indecisive as my experience with the guns im looking at is limited. Some key factors that im looking to find in this new rifle: moa to sub moa grouping, flat shooting from 0-100yds, hard hitter with great knock down power, and the ability to mount a low magnification optic. Some other things to consider are that id like it to be chambered in a semi-common round as to keep ammo cost down. Just got into reloading and probably wont start on this cartridge until next year. I also have no access to private land so public land regs apply. Ive been hunting with a 12 gauge my whole life and am looking to move on to somethingthat better suits me. With shotguns being out, im open to single shots, bolt guns, or maybe even a new AR upper. Not super keen on the idea of a muzzle loader. Thanks in advance for any input.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I'm using my Noveske 6.8 upper this year. Optic I haven't really decided on yet. As far as ammo, I'll be using either Hornandy 120gr SST, Hornandy 110gr VMax, or Wilson Combat 95gr Barnes. My shots won't be over 150yds.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Since your stuck with "public land regulations", I would suggest a CVA in 35 Remington and then shorten the cases to meet regs.

I know you said you didn't plan to reload for it at this time, but I think it's one of the best choices available for the money invested.

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I use my 458 socom with a 300 grain barnes ttsx bullet. You want a heavy hitter this is it. Gotten 2 deer with it so far(ar platform) in last 2 years. I mostly bow hunt on land in city limits, so not a lot of opportunity with the 458. Both deer ive killed dropped within 10 yards. 1 at roughly 85 yards and the second at about 120 yards. Best part is i use a cheap aim sports 4x32 scope. Has held zero perfectly, although i dont shoot it a ton due to cost of ammo. In the 3 years since i built it ive put maybe 40 rounds thru.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I'm using my Noveske 6.8 upper this year. Optic I haven't really decided on yet. As far as ammo, I'll be using either Hornandy 120gr SST, Hornandy 110gr VMax, or Wilson Combat 95gr Barnes. My shots won't be over 150yds.

Thanks i hadnt considered this, is this legal for public land? Price on ammo is reasonable. One thing i forgot to mention was that id like to set my budget for the rifle at or below $600 (unless more will take me leaps and bounds ahead of all other options), so this may be ruled out after upper and mags.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Since your stuck with "public land regulations", I would suggest a CVA in 35 Remington and then shorten the cases to meet regs.

I know you said you didn't plan to reload for it at this time, but I think it's one of the best choices available for the money invested.

Thanks ill look into this. I dont think this will be something ill dive into this year as i just wont have much time to play with loading.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Ive heard similar reviews and am drawn to it, but set up cost and the cost of ammo has detered me. Was hoping to find something that performs similarly but maybe in a handirifle with less expensive and more available ammo
    (458)

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'd peruse the local shops for something in a .243 or .308. But really, heck, the field is wide open now. Anything that meets the legal regs, is capable at your anticipated ranges, and strikes your fancy is in play.
    A 600.00 budget gives you TONS of options right now.
    And if you ever do change your mind about a frontstuffer, I'd highly recommend the Accura. It has all of the features of a modern centerfire rifle. I'm just in love with mine.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Again im limited to public land legal calibers. If 308 was an option id already have a savage bolt gun ready to rock. And i know i have lots of options, but dont know which would best suit me. I may pick up a muzzleloader to extend my season later, just never been interested for some reason. My main focus is bow season, but want to fill the freazer quick come gun season.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If you don't want to drop a lot, a CVA single shot in 44 mag or 450 Bushmaster

Lever gun, maybe an older (pre Remington) 44 mag Marlin 1894

AR upper, 450 Bushmaster upper. 450 is a nasty round. Bushmaster does weird production schedules though so finding one of those might be difficult, you might have to get a Windham Weaponry 450 Thumper upper and just shoot BM out of it

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Again im limited to public land legal calibers. If 308 was an option id already have a savage bolt gun ready to rock. And i know i have lots of options, but dont know which would best suit me. I may pick up a muzzleloader to extend my season later, just never been interested for some reason. My main focus is bow season, but want to fill the freazer quick come gun season.

DNR says .308 is good to go as of last year. Are there separate regulations on these otherwise public lands?

Edit: Disregard, I found another link that specified that they are only allowed on private property.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    If you don't want to drop a lot, a CVA single shot in 44 mag or 450 Bushmaster

Lever gun, maybe an older (pre Remington) 44 mag Marlin 1894

AR upper, 450 Bushmaster upper. 450 is a nasty round. Bushmaster does weird production schedules though so finding one of those might be difficult, you might have to get a Windham Weaponry 450 Thumper upper and just shoot BM out of it

I like the sounds of the 450 bushmaster. I did just find that Ruger makes the American model chambered in this! If I understand it correctly, since this is a straight wall cartridge it should be easier to reload as well? For those that have experience with it, how does this round perform? Flat shooter?

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    If you can track down an H&R Handi-Rifle in .44 mag, that is a fantastic single shot. Before I moved to the .308 I used it and it was accurate out to 125 yards and deadly. I really enjoyed the .44 mag, would probably also look at the JM stamped marlins in that caliber as well.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Hey all, looking for some recommendations for a new rifle for this years deer season. Ive looked at so many options but am indecisive as my experience with the guns im looking at is limited. Some key factors that im looking to find in this new rifle: moa to sub moa grouping, flat shooting from 0-100yds, hard hitter with great knock down power, and the ability to mount a low magnification optic. Some other things to consider are that id like it to be chambered in a semi-common round as to keep ammo cost down. Just got into reloading and probably wont start on this cartridge until next year. I also have no access to private land so public land regs apply. Ive been hunting with a 12 gauge my whole life and am looking to move on to somethingthat better suits me. With shotguns being out, im open to single shots, bolt guns, or maybe even a new AR upper. Not super keen on the idea of a muzzle loader. Thanks in advance for any input.

About any long gun you choose will be flat shooting out to 100 yards, some more so than others. The .450 Bushmaster, in either an AR upper or Ruger American Rifle, is probably your best bet given those criteria. The .454 Casull in a T&C Encore would be another option but the ammo is expensive and the rifle would likely exceed $600. The only other higher performance options would be to find a used .358 WSSM or .358 Hoosier for sale but that would require you to reload or buy expensive ammo.

Thanks i hadnt considered this, is this legal for public land? Price on ammo is reasonable. One thing i forgot to mention was that id like to set my budget for the rifle at or below $600 (unless more will take me leaps and bounds ahead of all other options), so this may be ruled out after upper and mags.

The 6.8 is not legal for public land.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    If you can track down an H&R Handi-Rifle in .44 mag, that is a fantastic single shot. Before I moved to the .308 I used it and it was accurate out to 125 yards and deadly. I really enjoyed the .44 mag, would probably also look at the JM stamped marlins in that caliber as well.

Thanks, this is what I've been leaning towards the most since last year, but felt there may be better options. From what I've read, the 450 bushmaster would have better terminal ballistics over the 44 mag? Most appealing about the 44 handi rifle is I could have it scoped with ammo in hand for less than the alternative rifles alone. There is the cva 450 but it appears availability is limited?

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    About any long gun you choose will be flat shooting out to 100 yards, some more so than others. The .450 Bushmaster, in either an AR upper or Ruger American Rifle, is probably your best bet given those criteria. The .454 Casull in a T&C Encore would be another option but the ammo is expensive and the rifle would likely exceed $600. The only other higher performance options would be to find a used .358 WSSM or .358 Hoosier for sale but that would require you to reload or buy expensive ammo.

The 6.8 is not legal for public land.

I figured most do out to 100. I wanted to highlight this though as i don't want to bother ANY with hold over/under if I can avoid it. Most deer I've taken have been around 10-60 yards out, where I hunt anything past 100 isn't a smart shot.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I have seen a few deer taken with a .44 Magnum. It is flat enough at 100 yards and it has good knockdown power out of a rifle.

A .44 lever gun with a fixed 2.5x scope would be the berries.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have seen a few deer taken with a .44 Magnum. It is flat enough at 100 yards and it has good knockdown power out of a rifle.

A .44 lever gun with a fixed 2.5x scope would be the berries.

Never hunted deer with a scope and wanting to do so, for whatever reason I couldn't bring myself to mount a scope on a lever action. I feel like it would be like putting a red dot on a revolver, just doesn't match to me. I do like the idea of a scoped handi-rifle though.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I figured most do out to 100. I wanted to highlight this though as i don't want to bother ANY with hold over/under if I can avoid it. Most deer I've taken have been around 10-60 yards out, where I hunt anything past 100 isn't a smart shot.

Neither, the .44 or the .450 will be more than 2" high or low from 0 to 100 yards but the .450 will have as much velocity at a 100 yards as the .44 does at the muzzle.

Top Bottom