• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Getting ready to purchase a rifle in an intermediate cartridge as a 100 to 500 yard (deer to hog to elk) gun (already have .300 magnum options along with .243 and under). Also, will be used as target rifle (non-competition) 100 to 1000 yard paper puncher/gong knocker.

The .270 has been around along time and is a tried and true hunting round and holds its own on paper. Light recoil, flat and 130 gr gets the job done.

6.5 creedmoor is the flavor of the day and has some advantages on the target range. Less recoil, higher ballistic coefficient/sectional density bullets and available/quality/affordable match ammunition is making me lean towards the 6.5. Seems at the bottom end of energy for a bull elk...

I've kicked around some other options like .257 Weatherby magnum (because I like owning oddball calibers...) and the 30-06 (darn near the best all around cartridge IMHO though doesn't fit the "intermediate" slot I am looking for) but have pretty much narrowed it to 270 or 6.5 creedmoor.

I've read all the ballistic tables and load/weight variations on the both calibers. My question is; does anyone have any real world experience with the 6.5 as a hunting caliber versus .270?

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I don't own either caliber. But, unless you roll your own, the 270 ammo is less expensive than the 6.5 creedmoor.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Definitely will reload.

Actually the ammo cost is within dimes of each other for "premium" ammo. .270 runs around $.80 to $2.25 a little with 6.5 running about $1 to $2.50 per round. A few premium rounds are a little cheaper in 6.5 creedmoor. Probably since its gotten so popular on the range.

Caliber requirements in CO are a minimum caliber of .24 cal. or 6mm, a minimum weight of 85 grains that delivers at least 1,000 ft. lbs. of energy at 100 yards. 6.5 carries ~1200 ft lbs at 500 yards with 129 grains/270 carries ~1400 at 500 with 140 grains. 6.5 Creedmoor is definitely at the bottom end for bull elk...maybe a cow but my preferred Elk round is 300 Weatherby Magnum and this gun would not replace that.

Last edited:

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    6.5x55 has been killing moose for over a century, and modern 6.5 Creedmoor is at *least* the equal of the venerable Swede.

Also, if you are so inclined for teh Googley, a hunter/guide/LR shooter named Pat Sinclair has killed just about every North American game animal with a 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor, including brown bear and elk - and his bullet de'jour was typically the 139gr Scenar. Shot placement is going to matter a LOT more than a couple hundred foot/lbs of energy...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Im not even remotely saying 6.5 wont do the job, Im saying some states law's prohibit use of 6.5. Until now I thought Colorado was one of them, but apparently I am mistaken on that.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    A 6.5 is absolutely not at the bottom end for elk. I have no personal experience with it, but my hunting partner has killed almost every critter that walks North America with a .264 up to and including a 65" Alaskan Moose. That's a heck of a lot bigger than a bull elk. His bull elk kill last year dropped from a single 140 grain pill at a lasered 600 yards from a .264. The notion that you need some super mag monster thumper to kill an elk is just not true.

Dirty Steve

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I love .270. Super accurate, wide range of bullet weights and manufacturers commonly available. I have a .270, off-the-shelf Remington 700 that I bought around '85 or '86. It's an amazingly accurate rifle. With reloads will cut bullet holes at 100 yards.

.270 has my vote. Awesome round.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Since you mention elk, you would be better off with the venerable old .270, which would ensure that you would meet all states' caliber requirements for hunting elk.
    Also, even though you reload, the brass will still be much easier and cheaper to obtain.
    The bullet selection between the two looks about equal, though.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It sounds like either round will satisfy your needs, however, I think the .270 Win is more versatile for a wider range of hunting. Since you said you like oddball calibers, a .264 Win mag or .26 Nosler might make more sense for you than a 6.5 Creedmoor if you like the idea of a 6.5. On the other hand you could also go with a .270 WSM or .270 Weatherby if you want odd in the .277 caliber.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    6.5x55 has been killing moose for over a century, and modern 6.5 Creedmoor is at *least* the equal of the venerable Swede.

Apples and oranges comparison between moose hunting and elk hunting though. Moose while larger are frequently shot at closer range than elk and elk are generally considered to be much tougher than moose. A well hit elk can still cover a lot of distance before expiring and an elk's natural reaction to danger is to put a lot of distance between itself and danger whereas moose usually go down quickly and don't usually seek to travel long distances when faced with danger.

A 6.5 is absolutely not at the bottom end for elk. I have no personal experience with it, but my hunting partner has killed almost every critter that walks North America with a .264 up to and including a 65" Alaskan Moose. That's a heck of a lot bigger than a bull elk. His bull elk kill last year dropped from a single 140 grain pill at a lasered 600 yards from a .264. The notion that you need some super mag monster thumper to kill an elk is just not true.
    Dirty Steve

Most 6.5s would not be at the bottom for elk within reasonable range, however at 500 yards the 6.5 Creedmoor is getting to the point of being marginal. The .264 Win mag on the other hand would still be retaining more velocity and energy at 700 yards than the Creedmoor would at 500.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    In a pinch, you can buy .270 off the shelf at Walmart.

All else being generally equal - that may be the 51/49 split that sways the argument.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015

Dirty Steve

Hush, Steve.

Even wild hogs need a 7 RUM at a MINIMUM to ensure a clean, ethical kill.

Don't you know anything?

-Nate

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    In a pinch, you can buy .270 off the shelf at Walmart.

All else being generally equal - that may be the 51/49 split that sways the argument.

This is very true. When the ammo sinks into a lake on the hunting trip...just run to the store and get more.

On the other hand, bullet selection (referring to hand loading; not factory ammo) for the 6.5 is geared toward the range with some real impressive BC's. I get a kick out of seeing how tight I can get a particular rifle at 500 to 1000 and I will shoot that much more than I will hunt. (that makes it 50/50 .270 to 6.5 creedmoor).

Adding to this benefit is that the rifle I am looking at is 1:8 twist in 6.5 creedmoor and 1:10 in .270 which puts me in the roughly range of 130 to 140 grain ammo in either with similar fps and ft lbs. (51/49 advantage 6.5) with the .270 have a marginal hunting advantage in downrange energy (50/50 split again...).

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I think 6.5 would be great on Elk, just use the right bullet construction for weight retention and penetration/expansion.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but once you get past a couple hundred yards, the 6.5 outperforms the 270 cuz of...
    - with similar velocities, weights, and bullet designs the smaller diameter bullet will penetrate deeper
    - better ballistic coefficients to retain better velocity/energy at distances over 300 yds
    right??

They're both ample cartridges for the task at hand. If I were buying new, it'd be sixes choosing between them (6.5 if you reload, 270 if you don't). If I had an old 270 laying around, I would not replace it.
    plz Correct me if I'm wrong.

Top Bottom