• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    I understand that 12 gauge is king and if you shoot enything smaller your manhood is in question, but are smaller gauges as effective when it comes to home defense? I can't help but think that 16 or 20 gauge would be as effective at the close range of a house. Is my thinking flawed? In fact, smaller gauges might be more effective. Smaller gun = quicker to aim and handle, smaller gauge = less recoil = back on target or next target faster. Am I thinking crazy here?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As long as you have a reliable shotgun with appropriate loads (#4 buck is widely favored for indoor social work) and you can handle it effectively, either 16 gauge or 20 gauge would be nearly indistinguishable from the 12 gauge in terms of stopping the threat as quickly and dependably as possible.
    The name of the game with these applications is accuracy on target, and some people (often women, small people, those with arthritis or other shoulder joint issues) would benefit greatly from the lesser recoil of the the two smaller gauges.
    With that said, moving all the way down to .410 -- while still better than a pointy stick -- would be a decided step down from the other three gauges.

A second alternative is to avoid the magnum and other "high brass" loads that too many people believe are necessary for home defense, when normal field loads work as well or better, thus making the 12 gauge not nearly the handful that many people find it to be.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Nothing wrong with a 20 gauge.

My shotgun in the bedroom is a H&R 20 gauge with sling, Andy Longlois butt cuff and after market sights. It is as light and handy as a swagger stick.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    What you shot best.... 20 gauge is not as effective as 12 gauge. Neither spreads like Joe Biden believes at any close range. A center mass hit from a 20 gauge is significantly more devestating than a miss or a side body hit from a 12 gauge because you jerked. 20 gauge can be easier to control. Cocking any gauge shotgun does NOT make a senseless, thoughtless, fearless intruder run.

Shoot what you control and maneuver best. I'd recommend a handgun or AR over a shotgun because of the speed of follow up shots and capacity myself. But you can't go wrong with any decent gun you maneuver and shoot best. PS get a light

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Assuming the "indoor social work" is happening at less than room distance - 12 or 20 throws a pretty tight pattern at ten feet....

Just remember for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Heavier recoil equals down range energy. Yes; the physics are more complex than that but we are talking room distance....

The other advantage to 12 ga for HD is, if you are buying new, is plentiful options.

I'd prefer 12 but rather you prefer 20 to .410 - I don't want to be on receiving end at close range....

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Smaller gauge does not always mean less recoil. Weight of the shotgun along with the action (pump, semi-auto, etc.). Example I have a 16 gauge light weight pump that is a shoulder buster. I have a heavy 12 gauge semi-auto that has little recoil and you can fire it all day long.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Love my 20ga. It is 3lbs lighter than its big brother 12ga. More narrow gun that handles like a fairy wand. Ammo is smaller and lighter. Wife shoots it too so we buy in bulk. All the 12ga got sold.

No the 20ga does not recoil less than 12. It kicks like hell. I get straight to the point and keep her stoked with slugs.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Would a 20 or 16 gauge be any quicker to aim/handle?

It varies from one gun make/model to the another, but most of the guns in smaller gauges are a few ounces lighter than their 12 gauge counterparts because the receivers, actions, barrels, and magazine tubes can be a bit narrower and have less metal.
    For home defense purposes especially, it's hard to see the decisive advantage of a lighter gun except for possibly a frail person, certainly not nearly as big as the advantage that a lighter recoiling round would give to that same frail person.
    Of course, between identical make and model shotguns of different gauges, the easy of cycling the actions should be identical, as long as the comparison is between well maintained and lubricated guns.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Love my 20ga. It is 3lbs lighter than its big brother 12ga. More narrow gun that handles like a fairy wand. Ammo is smaller and lighter. Wife shoots it too so we buy in bulk. All the 12ga got sold.

No the 20ga does not recoil less than 12. It kicks like hell. I get straight to the point and keep her stoked with slugs.

What advantage do slugs give you, aside from penetration, over buckshot?
    The only situation that comes to mind where that would be an advantage is for very rare longer (50 yards or so) range applications.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have to smile when the discussion about recoil becomes an issue when choosing a home defense weapon. In reality I doubt anyone having to use a firearm for self defense could tell you if it "kicked hard" or not. The adrenaline pumped into your body at the time would make it hard to even know when the gun went off! That said, I do believe a 16 or 20 gage shotgun would be perfectly adequate home defense firearm. I personally have a 45 ACP Colt Double Eagle as a bedside firearm. I have enough lights left on at night I could easily recognize an intruder and at the range I would be working don't need to see the sights! However, my wife and I are the only residents in a single family home with very thick walls so don't really have to worry about wall penetration. A shotgun makes good sense if you have to be concerned about wall penetration.

Top Bottom