• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    I'm needing some info on a rifle my son may be trading for. The gun in question is a late 80's Remington 700 25-06 caliber. Blued barrel with no rust/pitting seen. Solid wood stock in excellent shape. 5 round internal mag. I've done some digging around on interweb and seen good and some bad reviews. I was wondering if any of you guys(gals) have had any direct/indirect experience with one of these? If so, what are your opinions? What ballpark price is this worth going off my description?
    Thanks,
    NVG

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I had one back in the early 80s, nail driver for accuracy, but sold it to somebody who wanted it more.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Can you inspect the barrel for wear?

.25-'06 is known to be a "barrel burner". Exterior condition can't always be a reliable indicator of barrel life.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    For the price of .25-06 ammo and available mostly online only until last year or so I would say he won't have to worry much about the barrel wear.

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    Thank you to all who replied. I have noticed the cost and availability of ammo would keep this rifle in safe quite often if he decides on trading.
    TF, I have no way of checking bore for wear. I will keep your input in mind if this pans out.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Can you inspect the barrel for wear?

.25-'06 is known to be a "barrel burner". Exterior condition can't always be a reliable indicator of barrel life.

I guess the .25-06 could be considered to be a barrel burner but less so than a .270 win or .30-06 which are not normally considered to be barrel burners. Unless a rifle is used for high volume varmint shooting or target shooting, both doubtful in a .25-06, it likely has only seen a small fraction of the number of shots necessary for severe barrel wear.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Thank you to all who replied. I have noticed the cost and availability of ammo would keep this rifle in safe quite often if he decides on trading.
    TF, I have no way of checking bore for wear. I will keep your input in mind if this pans out.

I have bought "3 high speed rifles with the barrels worn out".
    I used some MAGIC Sweets copper solvent and it Magically brought the burnt out barrels back to life.
    Before you give up on a barrel make sure it's cleaned properly.
    I had to learn how to get the gunk out of the grooves. Sometimes it's not an easy process.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    A 75 grain Vmax out of 25-06 is a wonderful thing. Unless you hand load or it's the only rifle you have to shoot it will hard to shoot out the barrel. It's a Excellent flat shooting caliber. I have a 700 in 25-06 and so do a lot of my friends it's definitely a great rifle in my opinion. BDL versions bring more money than the ADL. Typically about $100 difference. 700 actions by themselves around $400 new. I try not to pay more than that for any ADL rifle but popularity of caliber will dictate the price. I looked for a used one for about a year and ended up buying a new laminated stainless from gun broker cheaper than I could by a used one locally.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have bought "3 high speed rifles with the barrels worn out".
    I used some MAGIC Sweets copper solvent and it Magically brought the burnt out barrels back to life.
    Before you give up on a barrel make sure it's cleaned properly.
    I had to learn how to get the gunk out of the grooves. Sometimes it's not an easy process.

Solid advice.

Top Bottom