Join INGunOwners For Free

Poll: Which is better a 50 or 100 yard zero on a .22lr rifle?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

User Info Menu

The .22LR loads I shoot generally need 6.5MOA to get from 50 to 100. It's a pretty easy come up. CZ455 varmint, 16.5" barrel.

User Info Menu

After the last .22 shortage, I've accumulated a mixture of different manufacturers, different weights, etc. There is just too much variation to consider zeroing anything past 50 yds. Now if I can just tap into my son's stash of Lapua.....
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛAΒE

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 42769vette View Post
    Dope has nothing to do with dialing. When you hear "know your dope" it basically means knowing your ballistics, IE, knowing what happens to the bullet after it leaves the barrel. So if you zero at 250 yards, and know where the bullet is at 25, and adjust accordingly (dialing, or holding) your good. If you zero at 25, and know where the bullet is at 250, your good. Obviously my first post was exaggerated to drive the point home (no one zero's a 22 at 500), but I think folks get the picture. Mathematically no zero is better or worse than a different zero as long as you know your ballistics.
    I agree completely with this, with one caveat: it's of course much easier to establish a closer zero accurately. I zero to the limit of my ability and that of the weapon system. For a .22, that's 50 yards.

User Info Menu

I know this is an old thread, but the following links are interesting and others may find them useful.

What Distance To Zero Your .22LR Rifle

ShootersCalculator.com
    Quit looking - no quality posts here.

User Info Menu

What are you going to use the 22 for? 50yds for my hunting rifle. If im target shooting I dial to distance. Allen said it best, know your ballistics and I'll add know your rifle and scope. I'm not going to hunt with a 40x 22 and not looking to win a target match with a stock 10-22.

User Info Menu

Zero shifts a lot from ammo to ammo in 22lr. I've got a growing notebook with a lot of dope depending on different roles and uses. For squirrels 30 yards seems to be the answer. Steel challenge 19 yards, precision anywhere between 50 and 100 depending on the range

User Info Menu

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    Ideal, but that's a little trickier since almost no range has a 75 yd setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

User Info Menu

Dial in at 30. If I need to shoot farther its 17 time.
    I wonít be wronged, I wonít be insulted, and I wonít be laid a hand on.

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    Ideal, but that's a little trickier since almost no range has a 75 yd setup.
    I didn't reread the article, but I'm pretty sure the author had a range on his property.

Riley Conservation Club has a dedicated .22lr range along side their longer rifle range. Very nice sand berms with changable steel swingers at 25, 50, 75 and 100. Bring your own paint. Plenty of room to hang paper.

Everyone should have a setup similar to this. It's worth lobbying your range's BOD.

Riley is fortunate to be run and layed out by world class competition shooters.

-----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast