• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I've got a Savage 10 FCP-SR "second gen" and I've kinda been eyeballing different chassis systems and DBMs so I can use AICS mags instead of Savage's $60+ proprietary magazines. I've always heard people tout the praises of the Accustock but it's usually followed by the phrase "for the money" or " for what you're paying." So is it a dumb idea to replace the Accustock, or will a good chassis system offer even more accuracy?

Pros of chassis system:
    AI mags
    Ergonomics
    Easier to mount bipod

Cons:
    Money

Anything I'm not thinking about?

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Im not an expert on Savage. However, i dont think that stock is your best bet for accuracy. Take a look at this article. Group sizes significantly shrunk after he switched to a chassis. I have a KRG xray chassis on my tikka and it shoots 1/2'' groups regularly. I never shot my tikka with the factory stock but i can vouch for KRGs product as being exceptional.

https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/savage-model-10-fcp-sr-review/

quick image uploader

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just have to take the whole rifle into context. Are you wanting a chassis just so you can use ACIS mags? If you just want that feature buy an Accurate Mag bottom metal that will bolt right into your factory Accustock and save the money going to a chassis (which is what I plan to do on my FCP-SR, link at bottom) as I'm not much a fan of the factory 10rd dbm setup.. If your wanting the chassis to improve the rifles accuracy, I'm sorry but i just haven't seen it from my shooting in the amount to justify the major cost of most chassis systems. The Accustock doesn't get the credit it deserves, is it the end all be all no of course not, but it is a full aluminum bedded stock from the factory... I can shoot groups with the FCP-SR I currently have and the one I did have comparable to a chassis Savage. Ergonomics may come into play when switching over to chassis allowing you to take advantage of accuracy all ready in the rifle, but if you train and practice with the rifle that variable tends to shrink IMO. If your wanting a chassis because you just want it rock on, they are neat and most are pretty cool looking Id just rather spend my money elsewhere on the rifle.

SAVAGE SHORT ACTION BOTTOM METAL KIT

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Just have to take the whole rifle into context. Are you wanting a chassis just so you can use ACIS mags? If you just want that feature buy an Accurate Mag bottom metal that will bolt right into your factory Accustock and save the money going to a chassis (which is what I plan to do on my FCP-SR, link at bottom) as I'm not much a fan of the factory 10rd dbm setup.. If your wanting the chassis to improve the rifles accuracy, I'm sorry but i just haven't seen it from my shooting in the amount to justify the major cost of most chassis systems. The Accustock doesn't get the credit it deserves, is it the end all be all no of course not, but it is a full aluminum bedded stock from the factory... I can shoot groups with the FCP-SR I currently have and the one I did have comparable to a chassis Savage. Ergonomics may come into play when switching over to chassis allowing you to take advantage of accuracy all ready in the rifle, but if you train and practice with the rifle that variable tends to shrink IMO. If your wanting a chassis because you just want it rock on, they are neat and most are pretty cool looking Id just rather spend my money elsewhere on the rifle.

SAVAGE SHORT ACTION BOTTOM METAL KIT

Honestly, the mags were the main reason. Yeah, the AR ergonomics would be cool, but not necessary. And there are ways to mount Atlas 'pods onto the Accustock. Lord knows the money from a chassis system could be better spent.

Does the Accurate Mag support Magpul (yes, I'm a bit of a Magpul fanboy but they're cheaper than most alternatives) AI mags? I thought that I read somewhere (can't remember where for the life if me) that they used a proprietary magazine that was only based on standard AI mags.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    One of the things I've always hated about Savage, is they simply feel cheap compared to a Remington. I'm sure the Accustock works fine, but it feels chintzy in comparison to an HS on the better 700 models. I recently purchased a Savage 10BA Stealth though, and it came with an MDT chassis on it.
    https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/BAStealth
    Shy from being really ugly, I couldn't be much happier with the rifle. I've used it all summer with crop deprivation permits, and have had terrific results with it. Accepting AICS mags is awesome, the stock is comfortable with a great balance point, and I really like that it's M-LOK compatible. I mounted the Magpul Manfrotto mount, and the rifle works great with it in my tripod.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Dark Eagle custom makes savage mags. They're not cheap, but they are higher capacity. And they're still cheaper than a chassis with additional AICS mags.

That being said, a chassis will almost certainly be more accurate than any factory standard offerings. My 116 weather warrior sits in a chassis and it's more accurate than I can shoot.

Top Bottom