• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Was thinking about getting a bolt action a while back, now planning to add one to the menagerie.

Would like something with iron sights, and reasonable accuracy (with a reasonably accurate shooter) past 300 yds.

Probably just for playing on paper, but might end up as a deer rifle, who knows?

Suggestions as to maker/caliber much appreciated (and reasonably economical ammo, as well).

:ingo:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The Ruger Scout and it's various models. Would the short barrel be an issue for you?

Ruger® Gunsite Scout Rifle * Bolt-Action Rifle Models

rugerscout308.jpg

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Budget? Options with iron sights are rather limited, the Ruger above, the Ruger Guide Gun if you are not married to .308, Savage Scout rifle, Mossberg Patrol, some Remingtons and these.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    The Gunsite Scout is a fine rifle, it is one on my short list but will likely be there for a while.

Savage makes a fine rifle and they have many 308's to choose from too. They also tend to be less expensive for those of us on a budget.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Sako and Tikka are good ideas.
    Also, unless you already shoot a lot of 308, I'd highly recommend considering a .243

Also, as was mentioned above, Savage and Ruger are decent options as well.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    The savage hog hunter has iron sights, and half the price of the ruger gunsite scout. And will shoot just as good. And has the accutrigger

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm totally with you preferring iron sights.
    A rifle just looks unfinished without them.
    With that said, do what I did and get a tang safety Ruger M77RS (the version that came with iron sights).
    I have exactly that model of the great old Ruger, but mine is a .30-06, and a tack-driver at that.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I start to drool every time I see that rifle.

I love short barrels for large caibers. My VEPR 54r barrel is only 20" and my Marlin 1895GBL in 45-70 is 18". This Ruger Scout is easy to carry and extremely accurate with irons. I'm still saving up for a good scout scope. I bought this rifle used from Marksman and didn't pay anywhere near the retail price.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Gonna have to lean CZ based on the information presented, so far. Though the 1903A3 (30-06 not 308) would be my first choice (especially since I sold mine and regretted it ever since)...
    Back in the early 80's my JROTC program had 1903s to do the manual of arms with, every year the Sgt. would knock out the steel plug in one of the "deactivated" rifles and raffle it off as our fund riser. Man do I wish I had bought a few tickets. Damn good sights on those rifles.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I like my hog hunter, but the mossberg mvp looks like a good option.

The hog hunter from Savage would be a good option. Unless it changed, the oy thing I disliked abkut it was the blind/internal mag, not a box, and no trap door to unload.
    Correct me if I'm wrong

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Don't know if your dead set on a Bolt action, but if not right now prices are dropping on LR-308's. Don't know your gun knowledge but the LR-.308 is just a grown up AR, mine is set up with a scope but I have quick attach irons. I also have a .308's - Winchester lever action with iron sights and scope on a tip out mount. Some inexpensive surplus military ammo can be found but it is not as common as the 30-06.

Another option is the 30-06, a lot of surplus military ammo is available for this caliber and is fairly inexpensive, many rifles using this caliber are available, Son and I own Garand's, 1903-A3, US Enfield's and others. These are not as accurate as the new Savage, Rugers and Remington's but are a ball to shoot and own (as far as I know none of the Rem's Savage, or Rugers come with Iron's). I'm not sure what is currently available with Iron's as most people do install scopes on the .308 - I used to really like iron sights but at 76, and wearing glasses can no longer see as well so equipped most of my long guns with scopes. IMHO another great gun is the Remington 700, but you would have to have iron sight installed at a gunsmith unless you run into an older one already so equipped.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom