• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Anyone familiar with these or the company?

A novice is asking my opinion.

I'm not sure what's with the 11.5" barrel. Not sure if it has the Wilde chamber which can handle .223 and 5.56. The asking price is $1679.

I know in the AR-15 platform there are tons of options. Personally I have a Rock River Arms A2, no complaints once I learn how to use it.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have the Daniel Defense DD5V1 (.308) and it's a phenomenal rifle, feels great, shoots great, and is a wicked sexy beast. Traded my Sig 716 in on it, and MUCH happier with the DD.

Daniel Defense (unless there's something out there I'm not aware of) is highly thought of and builds great rifles. Known for quality and customer service.

I'm sure you are aware, but just in case, the 11.5" makes it a Short Barrel Rifle = NFA item. Also $1679 is MSRP, I would think (could be wrong), it could be found cheaper.

Just my 2-cents.

Anyone familiar with these or the company?

A novice is asking my opinion.

I'm not sure what's with the 11.5" barrel. Not sure if it has the Wilde chamber which can handle .223 and 5.56. The asking price is $1679.

I know in the AR-15 platform there are tons of options. Personally I have a Rock River Arms A2, no complaints once I learn how to use it.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I have the Daniel Defense DD5V1 (.308) and it's a phenomenal rifle, feels great, shoots great, and is a wicked sexy beast. Traded my Sig 716 in on it, and MUCH happier with the DD.

Daniel Defense (unless there's something out there I'm not aware of) is highly thought of and builds great rifles. Known for quality and customer service.

I'm sure you are aware, but just in case, the 11.5" makes it a Short Barrel Rifle = NFA item. Also $1679 is MSRP, I would think (could be wrong), it could be found cheaper.

Just my 2-cents.

I also have a DD5 and am very happy with the quality. If I were in the market for another AR, DD would be at the top of my list.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    DD is a good company, great QC, and good customer srvc (to my knowledge)

That particular model I'm not familiar with (the v7), though I've shot a DDM4v9 and DDM4v11 - both were rock solid.

With an 11.5" barrel, I hope it is being sold as an "AR pistol" (no buttstock, though a brace or a bare tube is fine), or as an unattached upper. If it is being sold as a rifle (with a regular buttstock) and you're not going through the proper NFA paperwork to buy it as an SBR (short barreled rifle) then RUN the other direction.

Edit to add: Is this new or used?
    Remember that the legal minimum for a true rifle is 16" barrel. To make this minimum, some companies will "pin and weld" a flash hider to a 14.5" barrel to make it 16" overall. If you can remove the flash hider/muzzle device (not pinned and welded) then use the shorter measurement without any muzzle device. For 11.5" some (crazy) folks will pin and weld a 4.5" muzzle device to get you to 16" overall, but that's usually not an option from DD.
    If it's done that way, it was probably "bubba'ed" at some point.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    He has decided to go for a 16" to avoid hassle with the feds. I appreciate the replies and will share them with him. He is looking to make a statement with a first class rifle that he can pass down.

Top Bottom