• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I have done my due diligence in youtube videos and surfing websites on this topic. I still prefer to get a little Indiana feedback. I will most likely only be shooting 100/200 yards. I just need to find a home for my 7.62 can. Shooting paper nothing serious just a fun bolt gun but I am looking for something easy to maintain and best out of the box. I have zero desire to play with a bunch of different weights, hand loads, etc.... Just looking for a gun I can shoot a bowling pin with at 200 yards. I was pretty set on the 700 AAC with the 16.5 barrel after the can that should add another 5 inchs or so. I have heard Remmy quality is down?? I for one love the Houge grip too. Savage is the back up plan and I do like the magazine but would beed to replace the stock. Anyhow are they both about the same or is there a real advantage to the quality in either?

Nitro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2017
    Columbus
    I have been looking into getting a Savage 10 FCP-SR 24 inch threaded barrel .308. Bolt action has there AccuTriggerr and AccuStock. AccuStock from my understanding is like glass bedding the barrel and stock. 10 round magazine, under $800. It really depends on what your price point is. You can all crazy and get Ruger Precision Rifle. If I had a bunch of money lying around that is the rout I would go.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I got a good deal on a Remington 783 last Fall. Hunted with it in Texas and it did well. I really like it. The Savage is a good rifle, though, too.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Honestly, Remington makes a wide range of 700's. There are good barrels and bad barrels, and good stocks and bad stocks, those two factors being their most significant variance. It is usually well-accepted that the LE and Target and Varmint models tend to shoot pretty well.

That being said, if you are not hand loading, and you do not intend to need better than ~1 MOA, almost any of their rifles will do that with the right box ammo. If you anticipate the need to repeat very quickly though, you really need one of the medium to heavy-contour barrels; it's the heat problem.

If you want a really accurate rifle, you can get an LE/Target/Varmint and hope; you can go semi-custom and be pretty assured; or you can go fully custom with match-grade everything, and be almost 100% certain you have a 1/4 Minute rifle.

There are really too many options there to go into without knowing what exactly you want the rifle to be able to do.

Savage. Well, I wouldn't go with Savage. I LIKE the underdog effect. I LIKE how they shoot and their barrel system. I don't like lack of aftermarket support (read: TRIGGERS), lack of parts availability to the common man, the cast bolt heads, and I HATE the overall clunkiness of every trigger group they have with the possible exemption of the 4 oz target trigger because I haven't used it.

This is a good question.

-Nate

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    If the upper limit of your shooting is 200 yds at bowling pins any current models will do. I have a Savage 223 and Rem 700 ACC in 308, both are solid guns, well made, good shooters. If budget is a limiting factor (and when is it not unless you hit the lotto) there are other brands that will fit the need. I shoot max of 300 yds at 8 inch circle steel so YMMV.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I vote for the savage 10 FCP-SR. I got mine from bob at Plainfield for $620 after taxes and since I've seen them pop up for sale for around 550. With hornady match 168 I'm consistently around .75 moa and if I really do my part can pull off a half moa 5 shot group and the rifle is stock. It shoots the cheap stuff pretty well too. My biggest gripe is the magazine is kinda hokey. You have to rock it forward to seat it which is counterintuitive for me as I'm use to rocking mags back. Also it can be a pain to seat if fully load on a closed bolt. But I would still buy the gun again especially if you can catch on of the savage rebate sales and snag one for around $500. I don't think anything can touch savage in the price range as far as accuracy and the accu trigger really is a great trigger.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I like my savage 10 in 308. Set it in a KRG chassis. Shoots very well. If I were to buy another 308 bolt gun for under $900, it'd be a Tikka T3x CTR 20" threaded barrel

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I haven't given the budget a ton of thought. I don't need to drop a ton on this thing as it will not see the light of day that much. Ideally I would like to stay under a grand on the rifle itself. Is the Ruger Percision rifle that much better than the two I had mentioned? 300 blackout doesn't really interest me In a bolt gun. Maybe as an SBr down the road though.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I have been looking into getting a Savage 10 FCP-SR 24 inch threaded barrel .308. Bolt action has there AccuTriggerr and AccuStock. AccuStock from my understanding is like glass bedding the barrel and stock. 10 round magazine, under $800. It really depends on what your price point is. You can all crazy and get Ruger Precision Rifle. If I had a bunch of money lying around that is the rout I would go.

Great thanks Nitro... Now I have spend the last hour looking at videos about the Ruger PR. lol

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I would go Savage based on the funky things I have seen I have seen come from Remington on the rifles I have been working on. The quality has been very hitand miss.
    I have owned 2 Savage FCP's both were outstanding rifles out of the box.

Nitro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2017
    Columbus
    Great thanks Nitro... Now I have spend the last hour looking at videos about the Ruger PR. lol

The Ruger Precision Rifle is an awesome rifle. Tons to modify or leave it completely alone and it will still shoot great. Just is a way higher starting point but every person I talk to that has one absolutely loves it. Glad I could open up your world to the RPR!!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If you are going to look at the RPR, look at the Savage 10 BA Stealth too. I have one in 6.5 Creedmoor.

The 308 comes in a 20" barrel
    Savage%20Stealth.jpg

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    If you are going to look at the RPR, look at the Savage 10 BA Stealth too. I have one in 6.5 Creedmoor.

The 308 comes in a 20" barrel
    Savage%20Stealth.jpg

I have the same rifle in 308, and you get a lot of bang for your buck with it.

That said, I still love the 700 and wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Especially if you are the kind of guy that likes to tinker on rifles.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    For many many years, I've been a savage fanboy. I had a Remington BDL that my savage bolt action rifled 12ga slug gun would outshoot so I made the switch to team savage. I have a 110fp in 30-06 that's been my go to long range rifle out to 1,000 yards for nearly 10 years. My only reason for replacing it was being tired of handloading every match round as there isn't much match ammo available for a 30-06 and what is available is pretty far from being affordable in bulk. I wanted something threaded, and my old rifle had 3,000 rounds through it and I didn't want to change it.

Anyway, I went on the hunt for a 308 and my first thought was a 700 sps tactical in 308 because I really wanted the 20" threaded barrel. It shot alright, but didn't really deliver the results I was hoping for. I hit steel at 1,000 yards with it, but that had more to do with the target being a 3' plate than it did the rifle being so great. I traded it off and bought a savage 10 BA Stealth. The stealth I had really didn't shoot any better, and honestly kind of brought my opinion of Savage down a little. Little things like changing the screw specs on the scope bases so now only a Leupold 20 MOA base would fit, the stock didn't quite fit me, the factory magazine was junk and I switched to the magpuls, etc.

I ended up selling off my savage and ended up buying a Remington 700 Magpul hunter with their 5R threaded barrel. I swapped out the trigger for a Timney, and I've been pretty happy with it so far with groups measuring in the 3/4" range most of the time. Some groups have been better, some have been worse but it's consistent in the 3/4" range. Right now Remington has a rebate going for particular models where it's $150 off the purchase price of the rifle. That's not a bad deal since I got my 700 Magpul for less than $900 out the door, then knock $150 off and it shoots very well. Right now, that's the only 308 I've got or had any experience with that I can honestly recommend.

To throw a curve ball at you like others did with the 300 blackout, I'd say get a precision 22lr setup for only shooting out to 200 yards. For target practice, that's well within the abilities of a 22lr. I have a simple savage fv-sr 22lr in a boyds tacticool stock with a bushnell 10X mildot scope on that is a tack driver. You can absolutely slap a bowling pin with that thing at 200 yards and save a lot of money doing it.

Top Bottom