• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    With the (somewhat) recent ban on Vepr's, it seems like there are no more High end, but not necessarily custom, AK47s being made. What companies are you guys familiar with that are putting out high end AKs along the lines of the VEPR? Rifles that are generally readily available at around $1k, plus or minus $200?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    If you are looking for the high end still imported, you want an Arsenal. If you want something basic but still very good, look at WASR or NPAP. Those are your three best choices right now.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Yeah see the Arsenals used to be top of the line but watching AKOU videos where Rob Ski did a torture test on one, it appears the finish went to crap. He was having issues with it bubbling around the gas tube and I think there may have been some mechanical issues in there as well. I was considering getting away from the building aspect of guns and focusing more on shooting (I don't shoot very much) and the AK seemed to be the way to go but they're getting hard to find at a reasonable price. Feels like the golden age of AKs has ended, in part due to the govt., and in part due to American manufacturer's inability to produce a quality platform.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I am a big fan of PAPs and WASRs, no issues with either. At this point in the game I am staying away from American made AKs. First the DDI problems, then the RAS47 and C39V2 issues. So far we can't replicate 3rd world quality here in the US when it comes to the AK.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I've been wondering about this too. I've had a couple AK's but don't really know much about them except I should've kept them both.

How's the market? Are prices down? Who has them for sale? Who's making them?

What about the new Century? There's a James Yeager YouTube video where he says they're now good to go. Tens of thousands of rounds downrange in his classes as the guns are loaned out.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    The only Century guns I would consider is the M70AB2 (sold but not built by Century), or the AK63D. Check out AKOU vids, I trust Rob Ski more than Mr. Yeager.

Com-bloc is probably the way to go.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    Forgot to add- Russian guns are skyrocketing, everything else is holding steady or slightly declining. WASR's are high 500's new if you shop around. Occasionally I have seen them for $539 before shipping/FFL.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    What about the new Century? There's a James Yeager YouTube video where he says they're now good to go. Tens of thousands of rounds downrange in his classes as the guns are loaned out.

Generally, I go to the AK Operator's Union for AK reviews and the RAS-47 and C39 are pretty Garbage, near as I can tell. Furniture splitting, falling off, finish is junk, loose parts and hacksaw machining. I don't really go to Mr. Yeager for anything except maybe to hear another bald guy talk?

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Forgot to add- Russian guns are skyrocketing, everything else is holding steady or slightly declining. WASR's are high 500's new if you shop around. Occasionally I have seen them for $539 before shipping/FFL.

Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka had two VEPRs, standard AK47 config with the poly furniture and a VEPR-12, and it was literally 1 day after they announced the "economic" ban. Barked at UB that we had to get those on Layaway but by the time we scraped up the $200 down, they were gone.

Atlantic still has a few of the $1200 side folders. They're $1600 now. I never thought i'd say it but, the American stuff is crap.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    With the (somewhat) recent ban on Vepr's, it seems like there are no more High end, but not necessarily custom, AK47s being made. What companies are you guys familiar with that are putting out high end AKs along the lines of the VEPR? Rifles that are generally readily available at around $1k, plus or minus $200?

Left? Not tracking. They are making AKs every day.

I like Mike at TFL in Oklahoma. Mike re-worked several Bulgarian AKs (those SLR-95s that came in supercheap) that I had after September '04. I liked his work that I bought a 47 and 74 from him.

Check it out: AK 47, Firearms, and Gunsmithing Wyandotte, OK - Firing Line

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    Whats wrong with convertimg a saiga? Never had an issue with mine.

I haven't seen one for sale in quite sometime locally. I am sure that would be a viable option for someone with the tools and know-how to do it. I would screw that up seven different ways!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Back in the day they could not sell the Chinese AK's. No one wanted a Chinese made gun.
    If not for the Russia issues trump is having the import bans would have maybe have been lifted. Current east euro issues have made that a pipe dream. My local gun pusher had 1985 polytech's cheap as dirt in wooden cases. Sold me two at about his cost because they were not moving. Getting two in my hands sold a few more. Then the soldier of fortune mag articles came out on them and everyone wanted one.

That leaves eastern euro ak's with compliance parts. Iffy canted barrels ect.
    Which leaves an AK build you preform yourself. Pick parts yourself and get in on a build party with others at least you know what is in it and that it was made with LOVE.
    Last is checking the internet for a pre ban and paying the price. Since this is a buyers market that is an option.

All that said . We have what I call the American AK the Ruger mini thirty. Often overlooked not the aftermarket available but a nice also ran that fills the same assault/ battle rifle role. If just looking to fill a mid range battle rifle role you could fill it with two marlin 30-30's in the used market at the cost of an AK. Or a CMP rifle in 308/30-06.

Then em there is always trading up something to get an AK which requires time/ gun shows/ buying guns for trade bait which you may have to set on if the deal never surfaces ect.

Now on what is the AK role you want to fill. Just to have one. Just a fun shooter. A battle rifle for SHTF. A collection piece. Or I need one because I don't have one and everyone should have an AK. If the right deal comes around get it. If it does not forget it and buy another that fills the role better.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Back in the day they could not sell the Chinese AK's. No one wanted a Chinese made gun.
    If not for the Russia issues trump is having the import bans would have maybe have been lifted. Current east euro issues have made that a pipe dream. My local gun pusher had 1985 polytech's cheap as dirt in wooden cases. Sold me two at about his cost because they were not moving. Getting two in my hands sold a few more. Then the soldier of fortune mag articles came out on them and everyone wanted one.

That leaves eastern euro ak's with compliance parts. Iffy canted barrels ect.
    Which leaves an AK build you preform yourself. Pick parts yourself and get in on a build party with others at least you know what is in it and that it was made with LOVE.
    Last is checking the internet for a pre ban and paying the price. Since this is a buyers market that is an option.

All that said . We have what I call the American AK the Ruger mini thirty. Often overlooked not the aftermarket available but a nice also ran that fills the same assault/ battle rifle role. If just looking to fill a mid range battle rifle role you could fill it with two marlin 30-30's in the used market at the cost of an AK. Or a CMP rifle in 308/30-06.

Then em there is always trading up something to get an AK which requires time/ gun shows/ buying guns for trade bait which you may have to set on if the deal never surfaces ect.

Now on what is the AK role you want to fill. Just to have one. Just a fun shooter. A battle rifle for SHTF. A collection piece. Or I need one because I don't have one and everyone should have an AK. If the right deal comes around get it. If it does not forget it and buy another that fills the role better.

My goal with this thread was to possibly uncover some unknown resource of quality AKs, without paying to have them converted, paying custom shop costs with long waits, etc. I do think every Rifleman should have one, if for no other reason than their prolific reliability. Me personally, I'd like to have a couple in the family armory for no other reason than to have a couple rifles I can throw around, beat on, and never have a doubt about when the chips are down. The old lady grew up on a Kalashnikov and despite being issued an M16 in the military (she was able to purchase the rifle she trained with at $250), she's still got a soft spot for that wood and steel. And i'm the kinda guy that moves mountains to see his girl smile.

That's really all there is to it. I'm not particularly pleased with this backdoor firearms regulation not so cleverly guised as economic sanctions, and it really churns my butter that some suit a thousand miles away is dictating how my family is gonna live their lives with the stroke of a pen, but that's a story for another time in another thread.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The best way to take care of the better half then would be on the used market with a trade. Find out which one she wants or what she wants in one. Haggle switch trade around get her what she want. Happy wife happy life. Plus you get less grief over the expense.

The issue currently is thise with AK's are seeing nice trades in value overall going up. To say another way is some classic heirloom older guns (trap skeet over under s older benchreat items ect) are getting passed down to a generation who does not shoot trap skeet or benchrest. The new generation of shooters want the AR AK or volume plinker/battle rifle. Some of the better AK's I had have been traded off up over my value to them. Everyone value of items is different. Many have or keep a couple nice pick ups in the trade pile for these reasons. To get to these you may have to ask at gun shows not just look on the table. Or do the old gun show door snipe or internet sites. They are out there in mass just not as plentiful as the AR's. Have no fear of the internet sites like gun broker if offered the three day inspect with a good rep. These guys move weight in trades and cover the USA where values can be different.

Sounds like she she would be happiest with a pre ban AK. Blued steel. Wood. Not parkerized plastic. If you keep in mind that the aftermarket mag's and dress up items are easy to come by you might be able to get into a basic pre ban milled or stamped at a price you value at instead of a prepped package with the bells and whistles plus the spam can of ammo. Often I have seen AK's move up in price on the package. VZ-58sporters (not real ak) 1000 or so pre ban. Norinco AK's pre ban are 1800 about. Polytechnic milled mint in box could go 5k. Valmwnt m62 3k. Where as the century arms and clones 700. Imi Gail SARS around 1.5k. Just a few prices I have seen at shows on pre bans and cheaper normal clones.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    US AKs cannot compete consistently (or even safely for some companies) with Russia, Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, etc. I like the idea of a good USA-made AK, but it doesn't exist yet. You have 3 choices for a consistently good AK rifle - Arsenal, WASR, or NPAP. For a first rifle, I'd go with the Arsenal SLR-107 ($850) or WASR 10 ($599). The Arsenal is a better made rifle overall and likely more accurate, but the WASR is a good fighting rifle. I'm just not a fan of the oddball Yugo/Serbia receiver. A chinese rifle would also work, but you are paying a premium for a collector/rarer rifle (with an oddball receiver), not for a better rifle (that you won't mind scratching or denting while training). There is a reason Rob Ski keeps a WASR around to abuse.

Maybe you can get lucky and find a Saiga or VEPR out there from a private party if none of the above appeals to you.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    You can find vepr sporters out there for the $7-800 range. There's even a Retailer that is selling the FM vepr folders for $11-1300 or so.

for a good all around shooter go with a Wasr, but there are other options like definitive arms builds, lee armory etc out there. If you're pushing your budget the galil ACE is also an option (nevermind the ACE it isn't 'wood and steel' oops). Steer clear of RAS47, and c39, also note- century is making ras47 and c39 'draco' pistols. If it is built by century, steer clear.

Converted Saigas are very good options as well, Closest thing to a real factory Russian that we have; I'm very pleased with mine, even tho it spends most of its time tucked away.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom