• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I was going to get a bolt action 308 but after a little advice from INGO I have decided to go with another AR in 556. Right know I have a DDMK 18 with a red dot. Looking for an AR that I can make into a little bit of a distance shooter, no more then 200 yards. Not looking to compete with it, just have a little fun. I am talking with another member here about another DDv11 but that is going to come in at around $1,400 plus tax. Not the end of the world but I am wondering if I might be better off with a little cheaper rifle. I used to have a S&W and found it ate everything I fed it including steel. Before someone says you can shoot 200 yards with iron sights.... I am sure you can but I want a nice scope on it.

So not really knowing that much about the platform, I have looked at a few brands just not sure if it matters for what I am doing. Rifle will be suppressed. Prefer flat top

Ruger
    S&W
    Saint
    DD
    Dpms

It would have to be a lot less for me to walk away from the DD, a couple hundred won't do it.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Not many people are going to talk you out of a DD here.....

If you have the money, my experience with firearms is to get what you want the first time. Otherwise you're just going to end up spending 3x as much with upgrades, trading, selling, etc... and just end up with what you wanted to buy in the first place.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    There aren't many people that will argue with you about your view on DD. They are solid rifles that work well consistently. That being said you might look into the Savage MSR15 Recon. Savage makes a great bolt gun, and the early reviews are pretty strong on this new rifle with an MSRP below $1000.

I have no personal experience with it yet, but I have thought about picking one up.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    You can pretty much pick up any factory AR15 and make good hits at 200 yards. I'd say you could do it for about half your budget for a S&W sport 2 with a scope. Obviously you have good taste since you are rocking the DdMK18 so if you 'want' another DD go for it. You don't need it for what you stated but if you are already thinking about, or having, buyers remorse' just get the DD.
    You should be fine with your DDMK18 and a red dot out to 200 yards (and more). You could always add a quality optic to it with QD mounts. Looks to me like a win win situation no matter which route you go!

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    DD is an outstanding rifle and probably a higher quality than the others you have listed. Your mk18 is a sweet right, and so are the rifle length Daniels.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I decided to get a 5.56 w/1:7 twist and will checkout the Stout gun show just to see what's out there. After some research, I decided I will get one of the following:

Colt LE6920-R Trooper
    S&W Saint Tactical
    Sig Sauer M400 Elite

I almost bought the Sionics PAT3 during the Labor Day sale. I looked into DD and other "fine" ARs (POF, LWRC, et al) but just can't seem to get over the cost and if it's worth it but I digress. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I do love my DD and I am a big brand name whore too.:@ya: I Had a S&W and DD v5 but sold them both and now I need to fill that void in my life again! I think you are right though. I might as well just get the V11 and call it a day, was hoping to save a bit on another brand and get it sooner but...

[IM

G] [/IMG]

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I decided to get a 5.56 w/1:7 twist and will checkout the Stout gun show just to see what's out there. After some research, I decided I will get one of the following:

Colt LE6920-R Trooper
    S&W Saint Tactical
    Sig Sauer M400 Elite

I almost bought the Sionics PAT3 during the Labor Day sale. I looked into DD and other "fine" ARs (POF, LWRC, et al) but just can't seem to get over the cost and if it's worth it but I digress. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

You mean Springfield Saint right?

I wouldnt buy Springfield after the crap they pulled in Illinois.

Kutnupe: I got my tacticool Oakleys!

Buy quality from the get go. You already have a DD. I couldn't be happier with mine. Plus they have been having really cool promotions lately. Right now its a yeti cooler.

Top Shelf an INGO supporter also has really good prices on Daniel Defense's right now too if you're in Southern Indiana.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You mean Springfield Saint right?

I wouldnt buy Springfield after the crap they pulled in Illinois.

Kutnupe: I got my tacticool Oakleys!

Buy quality from the get go. You already have a DD. I couldn't be happier with mine. Plus they have been having really cool promotions lately. Right now its a yeti cooler.

Top Shelf an INGO supporter also has really good prices on Daniel Defense's right now too if you're in Southern Indiana.

YIKES! Sorry, That is correct. I was typing in a hurry when I heard dinner was ready! I'm not one to judge what others do so as long as none of it hurt my family, I could care less what Springfield did and as long as the product is good, then I'd buy it.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    If you're trying to stay in the sub 1k price range and like the saint, I would highly recommend the savage msr-15 recon. midwest industries handgaurd. m-lok i believe. (I'm to lazy to look it up atm) free float. I forget t he trigger but it is an upgrade. Very nice and crisp. black nitrite bcg. blachawk furniture. 1:8 chambered in .223 wylde I mean just all around great rifle especially for the cost. Last I saw gander had them for $700-ish before they started their closing sales. I'm sure you can get a great deal online.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I you want to go cheaper and still super high quality, get a BCM.

Can't go wrong with a DD though.

If you have DD money, there are other options out there that are sweet too since you already have a DD. Just depends what you want to do at that price range. It's a buyers market right now.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The fact that I put MK262 Mod 1 into my DD MK18 and made solid iron sight AQT target sized hits out to 500 yards did not stop me from building a scoped Faxon 18" SPR. So yes, use that stubby 10.3" can't hit anything at distance DD MK18 rifle as an excuse to get another rifle. We will play along with your ruse. :):

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Not sure of DD sells upper assemblies, but if they do, you could just pick up a new upper for less than a whole new rifle. Just swap that out on your existing DD lower. Wouldn't necessarily have to be a DD upper either.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I have already been chatting with Top Shelve and will most likely do it next week. What did springfield do that I don't know about. I dropped Facebook and stopped watching anything news. Keeps my blood pressure down.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    :ingo:

The fact that I put MK262 Mod 1 into my DD MK18 and made solid iron sight AQT target sized hits out to 500 yards did not stop me from building a scoped Faxon 18" SPR. So yes, use that stubby 10.3" can't hit anything at distance DD MK18 rifle as an excuse to get another rifle. We will play along with your ruse. :):

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm going to come in out of left field here and recommend Aero Precision. I don't personally have experience with them, but I've been extensively been doing research for an upcoming AR build I'm planning. They seem to consistently get great reviews, and they're anywhere from $400-500 cheaper than a DD.

Top Bottom