• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Right now, I have an unfired Savage 10 FCP-SR (.308) sitting in the safe. I've been kicking around the idea of selling /trading it and building an AR-10. As for the intended use, it's meant to be an everything gun with a focus on precision work. So what would you do, put money into the Savage or go the AR-10 route?

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    For me, I wanted a "precision" rifle, and I bought an FCP-SR. I debated an AR 10, but aside from being picky about which pieces went into the rifle, there were just more things for me to spend money on, where as the Savage was pretty much good to go out of the box. With the price of 308, I can't really justify an AR 10. A bolt gun made more sense. I have other 308 semi autos (FALs, CETME, etc) if I want to do some faster shooting.
    I say keep the Savage. Though if you don't have a semi 308, your decision is pretty tough. The only good thing is there isn't a wrong answer, you come out good either way! A true "Everything" gun is kinda like a unicorn. Tough to define, and means something different to everyone.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I would be shooting the rifle you have to see how good it is. How can you make a decision with an unfired rifle? Unless you are just trying to justify a new rifle....If so, just find a way to justify your new rifle and roll on...:):

FWIW, my "do everything rifle" is a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308 with a 2.75 scout scope. This is the rifle I would grab on the way out the door.

I own a precision AR10. It is a factory built DPMS. The only part important for a precision AR10 is the barrel. So carefully selecting parts for a build is meaningless to accuracy. It shoots just as good as my precision bolt guns. (I have more than 1, in more than one caliber) But it is much heavier. I would not want to lug it around for real. It actually is not a lot of fun to shoot. But that is totally subjective on my part. Bolt guns feel so much more like rifles to this old shooter.

I really don't mean any disrespect, but without wringing out the gun you own, on what basis is it not desirable? There was a reason why you plunked down the bucks for it, right?

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Right now, I have an unfired Savage 10 FCP-SR (.308) sitting in the safe. I've been kicking around the idea of selling /trading it and building an AR-10. As for the intended use, it's meant to be an everything gun with a focus on precision work. So what would you do, put money into the Savage or go the AR-10 route?

I have a Lever action Winchester .308, I assembled a LR-308 using a precision DPMS upper with a SS Bull barrel. If you purchased the Savage for an "all around" gun, I would certainly keep it and save up for the AR-10. I am an old man now, but I would never have taken the LR-308 hunting even when I was a young stout man. It is very heavy with the scope, bi-pod and loaded mag and is essentially a bench gun.

In my opinion the guns you mention are completely different. I also have several 30-06's, .243, and other hi-power rifles I would use for general use prior to carrying the LR! I would save up and buy the AR-10, otherwise you may really regret selling the Savage.

Another issue is that the .309 is not an inexpensive plinking round. Unless you reload, decent rounds are $.80 ~ $1.00 round. Son and I do reload so we can cut the cost substantially.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Hard to say unless you define "everything".

If the focus is on precision work, the Savage is a pretty darn good platform to get everything you can out of a .308 from a bench.

My AR-10 is one of my favorite guns to shoot but as a hunting rifle, its just big and heavy. It depends upon what kind of hunting it want to do but you can build out your Savage as a bench gun and buy an affordable .308 bolt action as a field gun.

GreyState

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2017
    Ft Wayne
    It's kind of been said already in this thread, but I would find a way to possibly do both. They are pretty darn different...I'd go get some trigger time with the Savage first and see what I did and didn't like.

For the record, I have both a 308 precision build based on a 700SA (M2010) and and a M110 CSASS build. I honestly shoot the M2010 a lot more..For me, the .308 round and the time investment I spend with it lends itself to running it though a bolt - sending rounds out of the 110 gets expensive and it's not as precise as the 2010.But, since it's also a "precision" build, I tend to shoot precision/match rounds through the 110 to get test it's ceiling. I could send regular old 7.62 NATO through it, but that kind of limits the capabilities of the platform the way I have it setup. I consider it (the 110) "the back up" .308 and my ultimate SHTF multi-role boomstick.

That being said, the M110 is a great hog gun, and I'm planning my next hunting trip now...Now, if I was concerned with mobility and having an urban "go to war /multirole" stick, it would be the M110 all day.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    A very broad statement would be,"youll shoot a bolt gun more precise than a semi auto." I own a precision bolt gun and semi auto. I can say from experience it is easier to be CONSISTENTLY accurate with my bolt gun than a semi. I wouldnt want to hijack your post with brand opinions or things of that matter. If you want to go to exteneded ranges or shoot little bugholes in paper id go with the bolt gun. Savage isnt my first choice BUT... they have excellent aftermarket parts. if you get better than the factory accuracy a bartlein barrel for example would be an easy upgrade. Also dont shoot cheap ammo out of your bolt gun if you expect sub moa accuracy. Its worth the few extra dollars to buy match( i see federal gold medal match 168gr for 15.99shipped all the time)...Hope this helps

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'd keep the savage.

For one, if you every want to change the barrel, it's a snap. There's no shortage of match grade barrels for model 10, and with the savage barrel nut setup, it's an easy DIY affair. Don't like .308 and want to swap to some other related caliber? 6.5CM? 338 Fed? No problem. A barrel, basic tools, a headspace guage and 30 min. Or that's my understanding.

And the factory Savage barrel will be pretty decent the majority of the time.

I've looked into trying to build a precision setup without breaking the bank, and every time I come to the same conclusion: Savage model 10 or 12.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Id keep that FCP-SR great rifle out of the box and super accurate. You might be surprised at how well it does shoot ;) No sense in getting something else if you already have something that will fill your needs, unless you just want another rifle. In which Id say get both!

[video=youtube;cQmOyd2dmbc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQmOyd2dmbc&t=9s[/video]

Nitro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2017
    Columbus
    The FCP-SR are great precise rifles. AR-10s are a lot of fun to shoot. I feel the FCP-SR is much more of a bench rifle and the AR-10 can be benched or stand and blast away. A lot of ranges in Indiana really only go to 200 yards from what I have seen and heard. Not really using the full potential of the FCP but you will be dead accurate. 200 yards and in with a lot of steel set up is a blast to shoot with the AR-10. Not to beat a dead horse here but go shoot the FCP and see what you think!

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    As of now, I have a very limited budget so every gun I own has to fill a certain niche. The Savage is a great rifle and one that I really like so far but I haven't shot it yet because I don't have optics and it's void of any irons. With the aforementioned limited budget, everything is buy once, cry once, and I don't have a spare $800 laying around to afford the scope I want just yet. That's why it remains unfired. My rationality was that iron sights on a .308 AR would be adequate until I could afford that scope.

Aflac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Pros and cons like with any decision and it ultimately comes down to what you want to do and use it for. My suggestion would be to stick with the Savage and save for an AR-10 in the future. Definitely shoot it first though before making a decision, because it wont do you a bit of good if you cant hit the broad side of a barn with it.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    As of now, I have a very limited budget so every gun I own has to fill a certain niche. The Savage is a great rifle and one that I really like so far but I haven't shot it yet because I don't have optics and it's void of any irons. With the aforementioned limited budget, everything is buy once, cry once, and I don't have a spare $800 laying around to afford the scope I want just yet. That's why it remains unfired. My rationality was that iron sights on a .308 AR would be adequate until I could afford that scope.

What range do you plan on shooting (yardage)? If you only have 100 - 200 yrds to shoot is it justifiable to spend $800 for a scope you'll never see the potential of? Lots of good scopes in the $200 range to get your feet wet with the Savage. Plus, you'll find out if you like the rifle or not. The money spent on the scope could (might) be recovered if you decide to sell the rifle.
    That's what I'd do anyway

Lanternman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2017
    East Central
    I would think another factor would be speed of follow up shots. You can learn to work a bolt quickly, but it will never be a semi-automatic.

And then, I can't imagine an AR-10 that will shoot as accurately as a savage bolt gun out of the box without spending an absorbent amount of money on it.

To me, it's just two different purposes.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got an Armalite AR10-4 that's very accurate as long as I stay off the gas pedal.
    I don't shoot it as much due to the cost of good .308 and my bad habits of loving the boom and keep pulling the trigger. I have the same issues with my Ruger 10/22s as well.
    Bolt guns are cheaper to shoot just for the manual feed.
    I love my AR10 and will grab it for close quarters problems.

Top Bottom