• Trijicon or Vortex?

• Total voters

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So after hearing some of the comments. Lets say I go with a 3x9 or a 4x16. Looks like I am going to be dropping around grand on the scope. I like the idea of a laminated reticle, yes I know I have no need for it but... So between the two choices in the poll, which would be better. I like the VIP with Vortex but is there a really difference or is this coke vs pepsi

So I have a DDm4V9 and I would like to set this up for 100 to 200 yard target range. That is the longest within driving distance. I work for Chrysler and they have a website that I can spend ( Points ) on. So basically kind of sort of free. Anyhow they have a couple scope choices and while I was really wanting a Vortex, they do not offer it. They do offer the Bushnell Elite and some Zeiss scopes. My question is can I mount a variable 2.5x10x50 on my DD or will it not fit right with the 50mm objective? Its a real pain in the butt to send stuff back so I just wanted to get some thoughts before hitting buy.

Bushnell Elite 4500 2.5 - 10x50 Scope
    Bushnell Elite 3500 3-9x50 Scope
    Zeiss 4-12x42 Plex terra Riflescope
    Zeiss 3-9x42 Plex Terra Riflescope
    Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18X40MM Rifle Scope
    Zeiss Terra 4-12x50 RZ8 Riflescope

Those are some of my choices. I prefer just clean crosshairs but I am open to whatever. I would like to have enough magnification to see the bullet holes at that
    distances if possible. I have a 3-9 on my 22cal and can see the holes at 50 yards so I thought I might need a bit more to see them at 100 or 200

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You have a DD.....And you're wanting to put budget glass on it. Why

Zeiss Terra isn't real Zeiss

What's your budget? Are those all of your options? Or can you get anything from certain brands?

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I do not have a budget. Although it would be ideal to stay under a grand. I get the above mentioned scopes for free though work. If they are all junk then I can just pay cash for something and use my work points for something else. I just do not know enough about scopes to know what is good and whats not. I was looking at the Vortex at like $600 which would be fine too. The scopes that I listed above are the only ones I can get though work, anything else would be cash and I am open to suggestions on that too.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Trijicon is an interesting way to go. This will be a target only rifle. I guess my question is will the triangle or illuminated dot be too big for hitting smaller paper targets at 100 and 200 yards?

Furthermore I guess regardless of the brand, what magnification should I go with?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Your welcome seedubs1!

WTS - Trijicon Accupower 1-4 MOA

rimg.php

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Depends. If you want to target shoot at steel targets, reload your own ammo and try to shoot dime size groups on paper, etc... What else will you ever do with it? Hunt? Plink lollipops and golf balls? Ever run 3 gun or shoot for speed?

If all you're ever doing is trying to shoot small holes in paper and chase accuracy, go with higher magnification. If you're wanting to ring steel, shoot 3 gun, etc... maybe a 1-4 or 1-6 LPV. If you're wanting a good all around SPR type, I like a 2-8 or 2-10 ish variable.

Vortex and Trijicon are a good starting point. Lots of great options out there right now.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If you want to see 5.56 bullet holes at 200 yards that will require a fair amount of zoom unless you are only using a shoot and see style target. Seeing hits in the white you can get away with a little lower zoom, but seeing hits in the black will require a good amount of zoom and clarity. 1-4 definitely wont do it, 2.5-10 might do it if the stars aligned perfectly, and you had great glass. I don't see a scope on your list that would do it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Just paper :( I wish I knew somewhere to go and ring steel but there is no where around me that I can. Maybe if I join a club but they want you to donate time that I do not have. I think I am really leaning toward this one
    Trijicon AccuPower 3-9x40 1in Riflescope | Up To 15% OFF 4.5 Star Rating Best Rated w/ Free Shipping and Handling
    I would have preferred a little higher magnification but...

You wont see bullet holes in the black with that at 200 yards. You will be making the same hole with the DD as you do the 22LR that your looking at 50 yards with your 3-9x40.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The reactive targets might be the way to go. Hell, I change my mind all the time so only time will tell.

If your wanting to see bullet holes, and never shooting south of 100 yards, why the need for the low zoom on the bottom. If this is a "range rifle" (IE, not packing it for miles), and going to be shot from 100-200 yards, I would go up to 4-16 that way you can do what you want and see bullet holes.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    No need for a low zoom. 4-16 would be okay. I am just trying to get an idea of what I should be looking at. So far you are the only one to toss something out there. everyone else is talking about brands. I plan on adding a 1 o'clock off set red dot just for giggles. The range has anything from 25 yard to 225, I would like to be able to play at all of them.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    No need for a low zoom. 4-16 would be okay. I am just trying to get an idea of what I should be looking at. So far you are the only one to toss something out there. everyone else is talking about brands. I plan on adding a 1 o'clock off set red dot just for giggles. The range has anything from 25 yard to 225, I would like to be able to play at all of them.

If you plan to do a offset dot, then a 1-4 would be pointless. You would basically have 2 optics with the same capabilities. If you have a red dot for 25-50 yards, I would get something with a little extra zoom to focus on the 100-225 and seeing those bullet holes.

Everyone like to talk about brand. Fact of the matter is, every brand makes good stuff, as well as bad stuff. Really the only thing brand tells you is good product for the money, or bad product for the money. Every manufacturer can make the same product for the same price (manufacturing cost). The end user price is dictated by the markup from manufacture to end user.

If you can give me a price range (welcome to PM it to me) I can make specific recommendations to get you the most quality per dollar spent.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    You have a DD.....And you're wanting to put budget glass on it. Why

Zeiss Terra isn't real Zeiss

What's your budget? Are those all of your options? Or can you get anything from certain brands?

This makes no sense to me. I have a $300 scope on my DDM4 and it's perfect. There's no "mismatch." Frankly, the idea that just because you ponied up for a premium rifle that you ALSO have to shell out a mint on an optic strikes me either as elitist or just unwise.

A scope is an aiming device, not a terrestrial viewer or photographic tool. The glass only has to be clear enough to serve the aiming function properly.

However, a good reticle and accurate turrets are MUST-haves, that's what makes a scope an effective scope.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Because the rifle and optic are a system. And that system is only as good as the weakest link.

If it suits your purposes, that's great. But it also means you probably don't NEED a DD, and you certainly aren't using it to its potential. If you were, a $300 optic wouldn't be on it. A budget optic on a high end rifle is a mis-match.....that's not elitist, it's a true statement. You get what you pay for with optics. You can't have cheap, robust, good glass, and repeatable mechanics.

But not everyone has to NEED something to buy it. I certainly don't use my KTM 990 to its full potential.....but I have it because I like it. It's your money, spend it how you see fit, we're all adults here.

This makes no sense to me. I have a $300 scope on my DDM4 and it's perfect. There's no "mismatch." Frankly, the idea that just because you ponied up for a premium rifle that you ALSO have to shell out a mint on an optic strikes me either as elitist or just unwise.

A scope is an aiming device, not a terrestrial viewer or photographic tool. The glass only has to be clear enough to serve the aiming function properly.

However, a good reticle and accurate turrets are MUST-haves, that's what makes a scope an effective scope.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Thats the same line of thinking that puts $600-1000 guns in $12 Uncle Mike's Holsters! Gud enuf!

Top Bottom