• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    OK, so I've been thinking about an RPK for quite awhile now and was wondering if anyone here has any ideas in what I should be looking for. In particular what would be at the top of their lists in desirability and also what to avoid. i'm somewhat familiar with AK's in general but I think the field is narrowed when it comes to the RPK's. Should I be looking for a heavy barrel in particular or will that be an issue. Be advised this is going to be a " bucket list " kind of thing, so not like I have a real " need" for it. Also if you have any realistic price ranges that would be helpful. I don't see too many at gun shows etc , so it's hard to get a read on what they are going for now.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I'll just leave this here. It's Romanian, BTW :ar15:

attachment.php

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I would snatch up a 20" vepr in 7.62, surf the AK sites out there and find all the real russian RPK parts I could find and go that direction, that way you start with a sporterized RPK, built in the plant that builds military ones, and end up with the closest thing to a real russian RPK.

there are factory built romanians out there as well, that would most likely be easier to find

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    you're options are pretty limited for an RPK but I understand your desire. They are probably my favorite AK variant.

If you want a factory built rifle then you're looking for a romanian AES-10 or AES-10B which are both 7.62x39, OR an Arsenal RPK of which there versions in 7.62x39 and 5.56. All of these will run you about $1000 (AES-10 / 10B) or over $2K for the Arsenal. Right now I don't think anyone has any 7.62x39 Arsenal RPKs, at least not that I found.

The other option is the Vepr 1V in 5.56 which was imported in limited numbers and they go for around $1500 or so (maybe more, I haven't looked recently).

Lastly would be a VEPR of some kind but you would have to find one with a longer barrel, and then convert it. They are top quality RPK variants for sure and probably the best bang for the buck at this point if you can find one.

There were no 5.45x39 RPK factory rifles ever imported that I'm aware of.

You're other option is a kit build. Much cheaper typically depending on what you get. Right now a few of the places that carry AK rifles have Yugo M72 RPK rifles for around $800 - $1000. they have the heavy receiver and barrel, but the stock is more of a traditional style AK stock.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I had to find the email and then got distracted by my CETME project. Apex Gun Parts has Yugo M72B1 RPK kits for $360-$380 right now. Clay's right, you're not going to find many in the wild right now and not for a reasonable price.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Ive been seeing several pictures online of custom shorty M72 rpk's 16in barrel with a shorted bipod and it makes for quite the attractive combo

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't mean to derail this thread, but seemed the most pertinent place, will the VEPR ban ever likely be repealed? I've been thinking of one in 7.62x54r but don't want to get killed on the current prices if they'll likely floor back into the market. Thoughts or insight would be appreciated...

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    There hasn't been a sanction against a firearms manufacturer that has been removed in US history, as far as I am aware. The Vepr sanction was put into place because Kalashnikov Concern was trying to talk importers in the US and EU into using Molot as a front for izmash. KC just signed a distribution deal with Zenith firearms, to make and distribute AK rifles. So if you want one of the Zenith MP5s, I would do that as well.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    And I'll leave this here :ar15:In all seriousness, I doubt we'll see anything new in a long time. I really wanted one of those new ВЕПРь SKS.

attachment.php

Top Bottom