• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've had this rifle for a long time. I think I bought it in 98' or 99'. It stayed stock for many years wearing a cheap 3×9 scope. It wasn't a bad gun, just plain.

My first modification was an oversized bolt handle. A Tac-Star stock followed. Next was a BX-25 trigger and then a polymer buffer.

Last week, I found a Green Mountain bull barrel in the classifieds. I snagged it up.

I got to shoot a few groups today with it. Once I got the scope zeroed @ 50 yards, I loaded up some SV CCI. My 5 shot group was about an inch but 3 shots were in a 1/2". I was happy.

I tried to shoot it off hand but it's pretty heavy. I've got a Marlin and a Savage for critter control so the 10/22 will be a bench gun. I might end up upgrading the scope but that will be it. I'm happy.

The group and the rifle.
    yTcsmI1.jpg

sBd8lc1.jpg

Last edited:

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    try a few other kinds of .22 ammo and see what it likes.
    I had a 10/22 with a Butler Creek barrel that wouldn't shoot CCI or Federal for crap, but it loved Aguilla in the blue & yellow box and shot well under 1/2" @ 50yrds.
    Different barrels like different ammo so get 1 box of several kinds and see what it shoots best, then stock up and have fun!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My fathers 10-22t loves of all things Winchester wildcat ammo.

I do like the stock. What poundage is your stock torqued Down to the frame at. Messing with that screw can make a lot of difference on some guns. If you have a torque wrench or driver start at 10-15 pounds and go to about 30-35 and see if it has a sweet spot

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

I do like the stock. What poundage is your stock torqued Down to the frame at. Messing with that screw can make a lot of difference on some guns. If you have a torque wrench or driver start at 10-15 pounds and go to about 30-35 and see if it has a sweet spot

I just snug it up. The stock fits snug to the receiver so I'm not too worried about it coming out. But I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

I have 2 rifles that love the Wildcat. My neighbor gave me a few cases of the Wildcat when the crunch hit.
    That's great ammo. Too bad Winchester won't duplicate it.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...I tried to shoot it off hand but it's pretty heavy...

Add a pound (or 2) of weight to the buttstock (tube?) to counterbalance the heavy barrel as commonly done with heavy barreled AR's used in service rifle competition.

The heavy rifle will be less prone to quick movements/shakes compared to light rifles used offhand. Use a competition type stance with your elbow rested against your side/hip.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Might have been the trash can I was using for a shooting bench.
    LOL

I'm pretty sure that GM bbl will shoot better than that off a good rest with ammo it likes. The advice to try other ammo is spot on. SK std and Std+ are reasonable at $60 a brick (Std) and usually shoot well. CCI green tag is another of my standbys. Remember to fire 10 or so rounds of each type to before shooting for record. The different lubes will shoot differently and a bad one can make the next test lot look bad (or vice versa) if you don't re-season with the new rounds.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Trash can? Well then that's some damn fine shooting!

The next thing to look at is the bolt. If you have some calipers measure it and see how close head space is to .042. You can lap it down yourself if you know what you're doing. Radius the rear so it cocks the hammer easier. You can also use a BB smashed into the firing pin channel to keep it from flopping around. All of this helped reduce group size & fliers on my guns.

Top Bottom