• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tranquil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Plainfield
    Hopefully not breaking any rules here, have searched and don't see any that apply.

I'm having trouble finding a value for my Marlin 1894c in .357. It's an inbetween gun as it was assembled by Remington. However, the serial number shows that the reciever is from the original Marlin shop. (91xxxxxx - no MR beginning so 2009)

Any help would be appreciated. It's drilled and tapped for a scope, and an incredible shooter so I have no plans to sell right this moment. Just curious what it's worth!

cXlAK

IMG_0973.jpg
    cXlAK

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Most here would tell you, to check Buds, gunbroker, etc.,

New, I will guess around $500.00 - $700.00 .....

But that is just a guess .....

Buds, has em for $402.00 free shipping .....

Last edited:

Tranquil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Plainfield

Not seeing any in stock at Buds, or anywhere else new. That's been the case for years. Gunbroker I have checked - there's only JM stamped guns so nothing to really compare to.

Thank you though.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

The $402 at Bud's was a used one, sold long ago. I would agree a post Remington would be in that range. Normally I would say 15% to 20% below cost new but .357 runs are so rare they often sell close to new for a used one.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    First off does it have a JM circle stamped barrel or the Remington REP circled? The JM is worth more.

There are 2009's with REP barrels and a marlin serial number and JM barrel with the MR laser etched Remington serial number made in the transfer period as the found stock. The first transition marlin by Remington REP barrel were horrid. Where the rear sight dovetail is they were often constricted in the barrel channel there and often where the tube had the dovetail also.

speaking of stock how does the wood to metal fit and finish look. Horrid. Passable. Nice.

When remington bought marlin lock stock and barrel (see what I do there) the new company used lots of old marlin stock that marlin had laying around. Thing is some to much of that stock was what we call seconds. I little out of spec here. A nasty knot in the wood there. Receivers slightly out of plumb where the barrel channel was cut. These were assembled and left the marlin factory as the older machines were shipped out. There were some real gems. I even have a marlin box that was a second shipped out during this time period. Pm me and I can send the old photobucket pic.

Many of these guns transitioning guns were and are fine examples of the 2000's era marlin. The plastic looking finish on a very plain Jane walnut stock with actions kinda smooth and good barrels. . Some of these guns had issues with fit and finish as they assembled the left over stock on hand. Some of these guns had barrel droop and cant on the barrels carrier jams poor fit and finish very large overbore chambers (marlin chambers are normally oversized) and miscut barrel to tube attachments. These are the ones we here of and what turned the public against the Remington made marlins.

The only truely remade marlin 1894's I have seen are 44 mag. No 357's have been made since the takeover or at least no major amounts of them. So the 1894c is basically no longer in production. If they made a run of 1884c's after the move they were major complaints on how they were first built after the move all over. The ones now coming out in 44 mag seem ok but not of the older 1980's standards that bring the higher prices.

No no that I have typed way to much info you marlin 1894c is worth 550 to 850 depending on all the factory listed above. If you got one of the good ones (marlin had just finished a 1894c run during the buyout. Yours should be fine.

Tranquil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Plainfield
    jmarriott, first off, thank you so much for the wealth of information!

It does have a REP stamped barrel, so I know it was definitely assembled by Remington. However, fit & finish are very nice, and the action is extremely smooth. The receiver is definitely a Marlin, as it's a stamped 91 code without laser etching. Personally I thought the value was around 600-650, but wasn't quite sure. I know the first roll out of Marlin by Remington's using the parts manufactured by remington had major issues, especially with fitment - so I was certain this wasn't the case.

Tranquil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Plainfield
    If it shoots well nothing to worry about. If the groups are horrid slug the barrel paying attention to the areas around the two dove tails

At 100 yards from a bench it shoots 1.5" groups - not worried about it shooting just wondered if it would be worth less than I was hoping for when it comes time to sell. I just started school again and need a new laptop lol.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    .357's almost always bring a premium price over the like rifle in another caliber.
    For whatever reason(s) they are highly desirable.

I just purchased a used Henry Big Boy carbine with the brass receiver and the octagon barrel.
    It's as heavy as two bricks, but I still like it.
    I paid $500 for the Henry .357 and felt like I got a deal.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Sorry to bring up an older thread, but figured I'd just ask here. I have the chance to trade for a 1991 Marlin 1894CS .357. It is in very good condition with one small scratch on the receiver. Can anyone help with a price? I've seen anything rom $500 to $900

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just bought a used (barely) Henry .357mag for $500.
    The JM stamped models go for more than the newer ones and the 1991 would be a JM stamp.
    Still, unless it was a limited edition or in perfect condition, I wouldn't give much more than $500.

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    I just bought a used (barely) Henry .357mag for $500.
    The JM stamped models go for more than the newer ones and the 1991 would be a JM stamp.
    Still, unless it was a limited edition or in perfect condition, I wouldn't give much more than $500.

I have a .22 and HAD a .357 Henry. Sold the Henry because it was too slow to load as opposed to the Marlin.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I would have a very hard time passing up any 1894c in very good condition for less than say $800. The supply is fixed and will only diminish. The above average demand of the past few years was driven in part by the poor quality of the new ones coming out. It appears FG Marlin has gotten their act together and the current production is acceptable for a gun to be shot. The JM guns will continue to be collectable for good reason though.

I suspect we will se a plateauing of the JM prices as the new production, with several really cool models coming out, will satisfy the part of the demand for those who want something to shoot.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks all. The one I’m interested in would be about $700 total after the value of my trade and some boot. I do not think it’s a great deal but from what I’ve seen it probably isn’t all that bad.

24vr89j.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If I did not already have one I would pick that up for the price stated. I have not seen any of the new 357’s shipped yet but they did put out some web site updates with new models. Maybe they will ship out soon maybe they will never ship. Rem is in bankruptcy at the moment.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Gunbroker completed auctions, with bids, sold for $700 - $950. So anything in between would be 'fair'.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    That seems a fair price for a JM stamped. The JM stamped "Cowboy Limited" models have an octagon barrel and will go for a bit more. Regular versions like the one pictured have micro groove rifling, the Cowboy limited have ballard rifling as I recall which also commands a premium.

Last edited:

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Also, I seen a JM stamped 1894 Cowboy Limited .357 fly off the shelf for $839 last fall. Was there when it was put out, went to look again the next day and it was gone.

Top Bottom