• ...and so much more!
  • bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I DID IT!!! 7.62X39 Ruger American

I have been waiting SO LONG for Ruger to finally get there Ruger American 7.62X39 into the retail market. I was checking around yesterday and found one of the online guys FINALLY had them....sold a gun today to make up what I was lacking in "toy money" pulled into a parking lot after FTF and ordered a new toy...

I am SO EXCITED to finally get a 7.62X39 bolt gun and see what she can do.

I will keep you all posted on range reports and reviews.

Now for perfect day would be to have the hearing protection act pass and I would be GTG!

Last edited:

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I was intrigued with this gun when it was announced. I have AKs and a VZ2008 so adding a bolt gun in 7.62x39 would work for me. Plus, I do like the Ruger American rifles. However, I opted for a bolt gun in .300BLK as I like to shoot suppressed. However, I would like to hear your range report.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I've been looking at them as well. Looking forward to your shooting review and type of scope you're going to mount.

I will post reviews as I get them going.

Don't be hating on the reviews because the only glass I have to put on it right now is a 6-18X40 Tasco....once funds become freed up and if the gun earns it she will get an upgrade in the future.

As for ammo I currently have a :poop: ton of 7.62X39 in all kinds of different configurations. Really looking forward to sending the 154gr soft points through it because I got those for deer hunting. I may never take it deer hunting but it will be fun to see how well they work in something other than the AK and VZ.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have been waiting SO LONG for Ruger to finally get there Ruger American 7.62X39 into the retail market. I was checking around yesterday and found one of the online guys FINALLY had them....sold a gun today to make up what I was lacking in "toy money" pulled into a parking lot after FTF and ordered a new toy...

I am SO EXCITED to finally get a 7.62X39 bolt gun and see what she can do.

I will keep you all posted on range reports and reviews.

Now for perfect day would be to have the hearing protection act pass and I would be GTG!

Good score, I saw one last weekend at ACME, I like the concept, nice to see some options out there now.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Picked it up today from Premier Arms and everything was slathered in awesome sauce! While I was there they also had the 20 round Mini 30 mag I was looking for at a reasonable price. Looking forward to taking it out and starting to try her out.

Also talking to the guys there and they indicated that they should be in their new store shortly...can't wait to see the new place. They have been lacking for space for a long time and this should give them room to grow.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Okay,

I know long time no update but life got in the way. First impressions are good considering the price point of this rifle.

1st: Adjustable trigger is stiff even at it's lowest adjustment.... YouTube fixes out there to fix this.
    2nd: It feeds out of the factory mag box fine but is not such a fan of the Mini-30 20 round mag. It wants to drive them into the bottom of the feed ramp. I am thinking some dremel work on the mag. lips to help it kick up a little more as the round goes forward.
    3rd: The last round hold open on the mag. is more of a pain than a pro. on a bolt gun. You can't hand feed rounds if you want to. So I am thinking dremel off the bolt catch off the mag.

Now for the pros.

1st: Ammo is CHEAP!!!!
    2nd: I have a TON of 7.62X39
    3rd: Ammo is CHEAP!!!!
    4th: The trigger is good, breaks nice, just a little heavy.
    5th: Ammo is CHEAP!!!!
    6th: The gun is very light, weighing in at under 6 pounds.
    7th: Ammo is CHEAP!!!!
    8th: It has shown me what I have thought from day one. 7.62X39 can be an accurate round. At 50 yards I am easily getting sub 1/2" groups with CHEAP Wolf ammo.
    9th: Did I mention AMMO IS CHEAP!
    10th: It is Indiana deer legal.

So all in all I am very pleased.

The only real problem I have with it is actually mag related with the mini-30 mags and I feel it can be easily fixed. I was looking at this as a way to get better at long range shooting without spending the $$ on a long range gun and ammo and this totally fits the bill.

As I play with it more I will keep you all posted. I have several different rounds to try out on it and very excited about the ones below as I feel they should be a deer hammer. I picked up three boxes when Cabelas had them for $8.00 a box.

At 2640fps and 1659 ft lbs these should explode! Decimating anything in its path like a tree stand mounted Death Star!:rockwoot:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...9mm-123-grain-round-nose-soft-point-box-of-20

Last edited:
    Top Bottom