• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fundy87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2013
    Southern Indy
    So I purchased a cheap baikal single shot.12 ga a while back finally got the chance to shoot it. First shell I put in the gun was a basic Winchester universal load. Fired fine, but when I opened the breach , the casing was wedged into the chamber so bad that I had to take the barrel off and pry out the shell. I tried again, problem continued. I tried a buckshot round, fired and ejected flawlessly. Other than the fact that one is buck and the other is bird, the only other difference between the two shells is case length and material, the Winchester looked like an aluminum case while the suprema buckshot was brass. I didn't have any brass birdshot on hand to fire, but I wanted to reach out to the INGO community and ask what your opinions are on the problem. Should I ditch the gun, or do you think there may be something internal that is causing the problem? I don't like picky guns, that's why I bought a breach loader in the first place. Thanks in advance for your insight.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Shoot brass. Aluminum has a tendency to do what you're describing. Use ONLY proper length shells.
    There's a lot of gun problems that are actually ammo problems.
    Try all brass ammo and I'm betting your problem goes away.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Have you considered a light surface polishing on the chamber where the shell metal makes contact? Speaking of shell metal or base, I wasn't aware 12 ga factory loads were being made with an aluminum base. Previously had the impression they were either brass or steel.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Winchester Universals are notorious for this. Buy different shells and enjoy the gun. :yesway:

Yea like already mentioned single shots and cheap ammo suck, the case head expands and gets stuck. Cheap ammo is awesome until it isn't!!!

Win Univ Shells sucks, well know issue as others have said. Try Remington Gun Clubs or Federal.

^^^100% what these guys said^^^

Winchester Universal is possibly the worst 12ga ammunition made. It gives problems in most single shots and many other guns too. The head is very thin unplated steel. Shells made with thicker (not necessarily taller) steel and brass plating are better. They very best use true brass and no steel, but they cost a little more. In my opinion, Remington Gun Club ammo uses the best American-made hull available.

You Baikal is a reasonably good single shot. Buy better ammo - which would be just about anything else!

If you want to shoot crappy ammo, you'll need a more expensive gun. Older Remington and Winchester pump guns are about the only ones I have found that will run the Winchester Universal without trouble. Mine is a Remington 870 Express Magnum, I can't remember what model Winchester my friend used. We were using the ammo for informal trap shooting only because he got some that was too cheap to pass up. We knew this ammo's limitations going in, so we got what we paid for.

Top Bottom