• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    With AR15's so cheap these days who all is still rocking a good pump action shotgun? It's ok if you have both(I do of course), I don't see how many don't in this day and age for good reason! But who still shoots, trains, enjoys pumps? I have a love affair with Mossy 590A1's as they work for me and work well, but I snagged a used Remmy 870 tactical magpul edition Saturday and really like the way it feels. Many of us several years ago talked about the new Magpul shotgun furniture and how awesome it could be, who all grabbed those goodies up and still use them?

While I keep a rifle handy I still grab a 12 gauge pump most often around the house, so many uses! So I ask, who is rocking a pump? :)

attachment.php

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My shotgun of choice is a 590A1 police trade in that has the iron sights. It came with a short stock on it and I never felt the need to swap it out. The stock forend was just fine as well, but I did swap it out for a magpul forend so that I could easily get a flashlight on the gun. Pretty boring gun to shoot really. Works every time and if I do my part the targets seem to explode. As reliable as it gets.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have one of those fancy wood/glass gun cabinets right next to the bed, on my side. In it, I have an old Wingmaster 12 g and a new 870 tactical HD model. Both loaded with 00 buck (I know, I know, the kewl kids put #4 buck in it now). I ought to accessorize the black one like yours with the Magpul furniture. I have one of those new 870s with the shockwave grip, it has the magpul forearm on it.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have a Mossburg 500 8 shot with the heat shield that stays out of the safe on the ready.
    I don't even know the exact model I guess that shows how much I care about?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    My shotgun of choice is a 590A1 police trade in that has the iron sights. It came with a short stock on it and I never felt the need to swap it out. The stock forend was just fine as well, but I did swap it out for a magpul forend so that I could easily get a flashlight on the gun. Pretty boring gun to shoot really. Works every time and if I do my part the targets seem to explode. As reliable as it gets.

Excellent, my results have been the same with my 5901A1, boringly reliable and plenty of boom! I put my surefire light on this 870, super easy with the magpul forend.

I have one of those fancy wood/glass gun cabinets right next to the bed, on my side. In it, I have an old Wingmaster 12 g and a new 870 tactical HD model. Both loaded with 00 buck (I know, I know, the kewl kids put #4 buck in it now). I ought to accessorize the black one like yours with the Magpul furniture. I have one of those new 870s with the shockwave grip, it has the magpul forearm on it.

I still run 00 Buck as well, it works great! I never could bring myself to pony up the $$ for the magpul stuff, but I got a great deal on this 870 loaded with them. I'll admit it makes me want to get this stock for my 590a1, it really does feel great!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I ended up getting my particular Mossberg just because it was a crazy good deal and I mean like $250 or something silly like that. My only gripe is that it's not the 9-shot version because on a shotgun even trading compactness for added capacity for home defense I think that's worth it. 9 shots of 12ga is a whole lot of damage going downrange and I keep my eyes out for a deal on the particular model I'd like, but it's just never worked out.

My shotgun is also full of 00. I guess I won't be a you tube star or be a trend setter with regard to my shotgun ammo, LOL. Trendy things like #4 or 6.5mm cartridges or whatever are always a flash in the pan while the old tried and trusted 00 and 308 just keeping getting the work done. I don't judge whatever people put in their guns, but for me I'm sticking with the old tried and true calibers and loads that get the work done.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've got a Rem 887 NitroMag hanging on the wall behind my office chair right now. Loaded with MilSpec 00 (1900fps) and some AP slugs.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I still carry a Rem 870 police magnum on duty and have for 17 years now. It is loaded with slugs. I love the AR and think it is the go-to gun since being issued one, but I chose to keep the rugged shotgun in case something largr needs dropped. I have never experienced a failure in the pump gun, it is reliable, tough.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Who doesn't love a 870? Maintenance, variation of loads, and ease of use make them must haves. Unlike a AR, you can teach a person how to care for and shoot a shotgun in a couple of hours.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Excellent posts all, I agree that's it's easy to teach, enjoy, and use them. I go back and forth on whether I like the mossberg or remington better but right now I want to warm this 870 up bad!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Both loaded with 00 buck (I know, I know, the kewl kids put #4 buck in it now).

I think #1 FC is now what the coolest of the kewl run. It's actually pretty impressive in testing, extremely consistent including in intermediate barrier testing.

That said I'm still using 00 FC. The differences are angels dancing on the head of a pin.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    A Mossberg 500 Persuader with a TLR-1 is one of our "night guns". It is loaded with 2 3/4" "managed recoil" 00 buck. About 1200 FPS. Having shot 3" magnum 00 through it, I see no need for that load at the ranges it is most likely to be used. At the range, I see no significant difference and the lighter loads are a lot easier on the shooter.

Loved the old Ithaca 37s IPD used back in the day. Slickest operating pump gun ever, IMO. Nobody liked the Remingtons when the city switched.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Anybody, employ dutch loads?

I do not, I do have 00 buck and slugs on my side saddle for use if needed, but keep 00 buck in the tube. I keep my pumps that are loaded for self defense in the cruiser setup, and I do keep a box of birdshot in my toolbox. :) I find it quite useful for all sorts of things out in the country.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I do not, I do have 00 buck and slugs on my side saddle for use if needed, but keep 00 buck in the tube. I keep my pumps that are loaded for self defense in the cruiser setup, and I do keep a box of birdshot in my toolbox. :) I find it quite useful for all sorts of things out in the country.

I don't either, but I know some people that do. I'e tried for years to tell them how dumb I thought it was, but they swear by it.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    A Mossberg 500 Persuader with a TLR-1 is one of our "night guns". It is loaded with 2 3/4" "managed recoil" 00 buck. About 1200 FPS. Having shot 3" magnum 00 through it, I see no need for that load at the ranges it is most likely to be used. At the range, I see no significant difference and the lighter loads are a lot easier on the shooter.

Loved the old Ithaca 37s IPD used back in the day. Slickest operating pump gun ever, IMO. Nobody liked the Remingtons when the city switched.

I agree the Ithica's had super smooth actions, I found mine so slick I didn't care for it. I couldn't bring myself to mess with the nice wood so I sold it and stuck to my current selections. Shew!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I don't either, but I know some people that do. I'e tried for years to tell them how dumb I thought it was, but they swear by it.

Right, and I can see why people that don't shoot their defensive weapons don't get it. If they do train/practice much it should be quickly dismissed though, some common sense is needed of course.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I love my Rem870 but haven't been able to shoot it for a couple of years now with my shoulder issues. :( Hopefully I'll be able to again some day.

JoGIeLUh.jpg

Top Bottom