• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    Back about 15 years ago I had a semi-rupture in a neck vertebra. It eventually healed but left me with (sometimes) bad arthritis in the neck.

Went out this afternoon to shoot my new S&W AR 15 and afterwards the pain in my neck was really bad. Is it likely the recoil against the cheek and shoulder is causing this, and if so, what can I do about it other than give up the AR?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Recoil always moves you around regardless of what you shoot, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Back about 15 years ago I had a semi-rupture in a neck vertebra. It eventually healed but left me with (sometimes) bad arthritis in the neck.

Went out this afternoon to shoot my new S&W AR 15 and afterwards the pain in my neck was really bad. Is it likely the recoil against the cheek and shoulder is causing this, and if so, what can I do about it other than give up the AR?

Invest in a good muzzle brake. They will reduce the recoil. Hopefully that will help.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Recoil or head positioning? I bet it's the second. Been through this myself. Craning the neck will cause ouch.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    This is really a question for a medical professional. I even have high regard for the opinion of chiropractors compared to the opinion from the internet. Including mine. For all I know, you are one little impact away from being paralyzed or dead. You are not the first shooter needing professional advice. Good luck.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes, seek professional guidance from a trusted Chiro. ALWAYS work off referrals. Some are awesome, some are quacks that dont do jack.

Even take an empty rifle stock with you so you can show him the position you get into.

I suffer from some extreme whiplash/hyperextension from a skydiving accident in 2003. (hard opening, heavy helmet camera that caused my chin to be driven forcefully into my chest) Craning my neck while shooting can aggravate it.

knot4reel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Way down south by Bl
    What a timely thread. I just yesterday received the last three injections of six total in my my neck c3 c4 and c5 joints over a week period. The injections are called Facet Block injections and are to relieve the pain and inflammation in the cervical joints caused by arthritias. It had gotten so bad I had all but given up on shooting rifles. The pain relief was immediate and hopefully will last for quite a while down the road. So maybe a check up by a good M.D. might be able to help you.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    I have an appointment with my doctor next week... I can talk with him about it. Would shooting off from a bipod be a help in this situation?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Lots of ways to dial back an AR. I would trade it off for a model with an adjustable gas block, muzzle brake, and at least a mid length gas system. Like POF Renagade maybe or Ruger just came out with an MPR model that has a full rifle length.

I would also like to trade off the two AR rifles I have for one that shoots softer. Although my 300Blk is a creampuff.

Head position is also important. May need a cheek riser depending on your sight system and setup.

Something that also helped me is going to an A2 stock and filling it full of lead. The added weight coupled with a bipod and it shoots much better.

No worries. Get dialed in on a rifle that fits you and should be good to go. Hand loading will also open up a new realm of tweaking you can do.

Top Bottom