• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    These internet email sales are killing me.
    Between the depressed market sale prices and the manufacturers rebates, how is a body supposed to resist? Then they go and throw in free shipping!?!!!
    This time it was KYgunco.com that got me.

I've been trying t ignore the email sale notices lately, but it doesn't seem to be working.
    I'm now waiting for delivery of ANOTHER deer rifle.
    This one is a Thompson Center Arms Compass, bolt-action, .243 Win..
    Voted Guns and Ammo's Rife of the year for 2016, it has a 22" blued barrel, free-floated and threaded, 5R rifling (1:10 twist), and a 5 round rotary magazine.
    Guaranteed M.O.A. or better (using match ammo) out of the box.

After the $75 mail-in rebate, my cost will be $197.83!
    Free shipping, and I don't pay for transfers.
    A brand new M.O.A. .243 bolt gun for under $200, how am I supposed to say no to that? :dunno:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Holy crap, it's here already!
    I just ordered this rifle on Wednesday morning and it's already in town and on a U.P.S. truck out for delivery today.

That was fast.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've been trying to delete all the sale emails too, and other than the 45 Shield I got at the tail end of the rebate offer, I've managed to steer clear of any new guns. Ammo is a different matter. I love Golden Tiger 7.62x39 and SGAmmo has been selling it for $222/1000 after shipping. I have plenty on hand, but normally they want 235 plus shipping for a case. I've gotten 2 cases so far. Lots of cheap 7.62 NATO (Malaysian - Berdan primed, non-corrosive and S. Korean, boxer primed, non-corrosive) at both AIM and SGAmmo too. Didn't really need any more of that either but well... I couldn't resist. It's cheaper than ZQ1 was at Wally World when they were selling it. And now Czechpoint USA has $5.00 flat rate shipping so I just had to get a couple more mags for my VZ 2008. Dammit.

I'm beginning to question my manhood. There's a saying, "Men will buy something they need whether it's on sale or not. Women will buy something that's on sale whether they need it or not." :):

llamant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    These rebates all seem to involve some funny math. They advertise a price that is supposedly the price after rebate, but you are paying tax on the full or sale price, then the rebate comes off of that. They are showing $272.83 - $75 = $197.83 BUT, you gotta give Uncle Sam his cut. $272.83 + tax will likely run you $291.93 (STILL A HECK OF A DEAL) - $75 rebate is $216.93.

Not picking on the OP or T/C. All the gun retailers seem to be doing this. It'd be refreshing if they'd be honest with their pricing though. They would surely still make money advertising the real price, and again, its still a heck of a deal!

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    These rebates all seem to involve some funny math. They advertise a price that is supposedly the price after rebate, but you are paying tax on the full or sale price, then the rebate comes off of that. They are showing $272.83 - $75 = $197.83 BUT, you gotta give Uncle Sam his cut. $272.83 + tax will likely run you $291.93 (STILL A HECK OF A DEAL) - $75 rebate is $216.93.

Not picking on the OP or T/C. All the gun retailers seem to be doing this. It'd be refreshing if they'd be honest with their pricing though. They would surely still make money advertising the real price, and again, its still a heck of a deal!

Most online sales don't have sales tax. I just bought online a CVA Wolf muzzleloader and a Remington V3 Shotgun from Buds Guns and neither had sales tax. I've also bought online from Ky Gun Co before and they did not charge me sales tax. Buds & Ky Gun Co. only charge sales tax online if you live in Kentucky or buy them at their store.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I picked up that deal too, .243 with the Vortex scope. I figured this will be a good one for my 13 year old.
    The scope didn't come with a box, have to have something to complain about. :):

Thinking about the .308 as well for me.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I received mine last week .308. I really should have bought the combo, silly me. I put an old Simmons on it for now. Going to shoot it soon. Can't really say much about it other than the bolt isn't very smooth, maybe with some work it will be. Can't complain for less than $200.

I might buy another in .243 or 6.5cm, but I'm going to fork over the extra for the combo next time.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I received mine last week .308. I really should have bought the combo, silly me. I put an old Simmons on it for now. Going to shoot it soon. Can't really say much about it other than the bolt isn't very smooth, maybe with some work it will be. Can't complain for less than $200.

I might buy another in .243 or 6.5cm, but I'm going to fork over the extra for the combo next time.

I noticed the bolt was a little sticky, but after working it a couple of dozen times, it has loosened up a bit.

O.K. That was easy/
    I'm getting ready to go shoot my .243 this morning so I tore down the Compass for a good initial cleaning.
    Didn't get much, except the preservatives, and that was evidently what was dragging.

After disassembling the bolt, a good wipe down with some bore cleaner, and applying some Lubriplate No. 105 motor assembly grease to the bolt innards, the bolt is now slicker than snot!

I think this rifle is going to be a GREAT addition, especially for under $200!
    Range report to follow this evening.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom