Any AR manufacturers making a factory gun with an A2 fixed carry handle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Been kicking around the idea of a new rifle. I like simple, and half the time I end up putting a carry handle on as a rear sight and as a carry handle. Maybe I'm just nostalgic. Either way, I'd love to find something in the Colt, BCM, or Daniel Defense level of quality that has a factory built rifle with an A2 upper receiver.

Any suggestions?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If you aren't stuck on new you can pick up a2 police trade ins affordably enough to refinish and still be under dd prices. Bonus being that many of them are stamped "for leo use only". If your vigilant and patient you can even find colts, but vast majority are wyndahm era bushmasters.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Been kicking around the idea of a new rifle. I like simple, and half the time I end up putting a carry handle on as a rear sight and as a carry handle. Maybe I'm just nostalgic. Either way, I'd love to find something in the Colt, BCM, or Daniel Defense level of quality that has a factory built rifle with an A2 upper receiver.

Any suggestions?

How about that Armalite A2 clone? It was green stocks but it was what you want.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That Colt at CDNN is tempting, but I'm not familiar enough with it enough to know if it's from the era with all the internal mods to make sure they're semi auto, or have wider trigger groups pins etc. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

RRA used to be on my want list, but I'm struggling with the idea of supporting them after the Illinois fiasco.
    [STRIKE]I didn't see the Colt A2 on Brownells.[/STRIKE] Here's the Colt upper https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...-handle-upper-receiver-223-5-56-prod4796.aspx

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    To be clear, I'm not particularly looking for a 20" AR, I'd love to find something with a pinned 14.5" or a 16".

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    If you are not opposed to BUILDING an upper, you can get a REALLY good deal on fully match-conditioned pinned rear sight A2 stripped uppers right now because a lot of the match shooters have gone to scoped uppers with a recent rule change by the NRA.

Only stupid fu...ahem.... guys like me still keep shooting their A2 irons against the tide of scopes.

Anyhow. The A2 sight is 'ok' on it's own, but if you can pick up one of the used A2 uppers that's been put together by White Oak or similar, and get it for $100...man, you got a deal. I bought 2x this year alone for exactly that.

The part WAS usually $285 just 2 years back.

So you get the good receiver, then strap on whatever barrel and sight you want. Ask around here (hint, hint) for parts, and you might be surprised what comes out of the woodwork.

-Nate

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    NyleRN is correct. Acme in Seymour did have several Bushy and a couple Oly & RRA. They were pretty cool and it was hard to leave without one.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I emailed BCM yesterday and they don't. I wasn't surprised, but I was very impressed with the prompt response from them. I've also tried to contact White Oak Armament to see if they could slap one together. I've got one of their SPR uppers and I absolutely love it, so hopefully they can get one in the pipeline.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I you only put the carry handle on for the A2 rear, just buy an LMT BUIS? Basically it's just the front half of the carry handle removed, but keeps the rear sight.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I you only put the carry handle on for the A2 rear, just buy an LMT BUIS? Basically it's just the front half of the carry handle removed, but keeps the rear sight.

I do like the LMT rear sight and I've used one in the past. I do prefer rear iron sight of the A2, but I kind of miss that functionality of the real carry handles from back when you could actually use them as such. I'm just looking for something a little bit different and something where old school meets new school.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That Colt at CDNN is tempting, but I'm not familiar enough with it enough to know if it's from the era with all the internal mods to make sure they're semi auto, or have wider trigger groups pins etc. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

You don't have anything to worry about. Buy the Colt, shoot it and train with it.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Is Colt suddenly more reasonably on par with their competitors?

Historically, they have been living in a lunar landscape with regard to their price point in the civilian market. To me at least, Pony roll marks don't mean sh@#, and they don't even MAKE their stuff...

-Nate

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Is Colt suddenly more reasonably on par with their competitors?

Historically, they have been living in a lunar landscape with regard to their price point in the civilian market. To me at least, Pony roll marks don't mean sh@#, and they don't even MAKE their stuff...

-Nate

Colt has been living off the successes of their name since the single action revolver. They make a good ar-15, but I'd agree with you that there is better out there.

I was able to talk with someone at White Oak Armament and I think they're going to be able to put together what I'm looking for. They're still checking details of a couple of things and then they're going to send me quote. I have a WOA SPR and I absolutely love it, so I'm confident I'd be more than happy with another upper from them.

Top Bottom