• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    22308978_755203541330657_4148586088134092211_n.jpg

USED but Like New in Box Henry .22 Lever Gun!
    Octagonal barrel
    15 shot (I got 16 in)

$299 from Marksman Shooting Sports (taxes extra, but no shipping or FFL)

Chris, the owner had this advertised last evening and It got me to thinking since I used to have a few .22 rifles besides my .22 pistols back in the 70s and 80s.
    I went to his shop today b/c I thought he had a bunch of .22 revolvers, but I had read an old post (from June): :dunno:
    That's what I get for not getting enough sleep and staying up late looking at gun sites.
    I have no business buying any guns at this time since I am in the middle of buying a house, and appliances and some furniture.
    I walked out of his shop after inspecting it, and walked back in after a short lunch, and bought it along with a used case I got him to sell on the cheap: $10.
    I went to the range to try out another gun and had the chance to shoot the Henry.
    Nice! The problem I had, though, was that I couldn't see the sight well at the end of the barrel. :dunno:
    It was still much more accurate than my pistol shooting.

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Wonderful story. Glad to see you had your priorities in order. I mean which is more fun to buy? House (never ending money pit)? Appliances (boring)? Furniture? Enjoy the Henry .22, they are very accurate and fun to shoot and play with. Can you say that appliances and furniture are fun to play with? Seriously, congratulations on the new house and have fun with the Henry.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I really enjoy my 2 Henry's. You will get many many years of enjoyment out of it. Congrats on the new gun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Wonderful story. Glad to see you had your priorities in order. I mean which is more fun to buy? House (never ending money pit)? Appliances (boring)? Furniture? Enjoy the Henry .22, they are very accurate and fun to shoot and play with. Can you say that appliances and furniture are fun to play with? Seriously, congratulations on the new house and have fun with the Henry.

1. I could live with the old original appliances just fine, but my dear wife of 800 yrs. has her heart set on stainless steel, so.............................
    2. I thoroughly enjoyed your humor: much like my own!
    :laugh:

I really enjoy my 2 Henry's. You will get many many years of enjoyment out of it. Congrats on the new gun.

3. I had abstained from being tempted to buy other $200-$300 rifles b/c I didn't want to go down that road (like I did in my other life), having owned a few (Remington 19 shot I remember and loved, and a Savage bolt action just to mention two) but the "Henry" name got me, and I thought that I would not forgive myself later.
    4. The price of $300 was not anything great, they sell new for $280-$400ish, and I can't figure out which gun I have when I
    research, but having the octagonal barrel means it isn't the cheapest round barrel, at least.
    5. The descriptions of them are so similar: the basic model number is H001, but there are variations of H001L and H001T, and probably more.
    6. I measured the barrel and came up with 19ish, but I might not be measuring from the correct place since most are 18.25-inch barrel, 38-inch length but maybe I'm off an inch that way also (online it said 36.5 on one), the weight online of them is 5.25# - 6+ish#. I think I have the $365 model?
    7. Chris, at Marksman Shooting Sports, wrote down the model # but I can't find the paper. :dunno: I'll call him today.

That's a funny looking handgun! :p

8. My kind of humor: good job! :rockwoot:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve got a Henry Golden Boy in .22. Similar rifle, but it has a brass receiver, butt plate and barrel band. It’s an abolsute joy and by far my favorite rifle. It’s also a gateway bug bore lever actions. My Henry Big Boy in .357 wasn’t more than a few months behind the Golden Boy.

I’m headed to the range after lunch today with mine.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve got a Henry Golden Boy in .22. Similar rifle, but it has a brass receiver, butt plate and barrel band. It’s an abolsute joy and by far my favorite rifle. It’s also a gateway bug bore lever actions. My Henry Big Boy in .357 wasn’t more than a few months behind the Golden Boy.

I’m headed to the range after lunch today with mine.

1. Sweet! :thumbsup:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Chris, at Marksman Shooting Sports, just messaged me: H001T model

Description:
    HENRY LEVER 22LR BL/WD OCTAGON 20IN BBL/SEMI-BUCKHORN SIGHTSHenry 15 + 1 22 LR Lever Action w/Blue Octagon Barrel & Walnut StockThe popular Henry Lever action is now available in a frontier version witha 20" octagonal barrel part number: H001T
    HENRY LEVER 22LR BL/WD OCTAGON 20IN BBL/SEMI-BUCKHORN SIGHT
    Henry 15 + 1 22 LR Lever Action w/Blue Octagon Barrel & Walnut Stock

SPECIFICATIONS
    Finish Blued
    Action Lever
    Caliber 22 Long Rifle
    Barrel Length 20"
    Trigger Single Stage
    Capacity 15 + 1
    Stock wood
    Weight 6.25 lbs
    17113_1.jpg

Bud's guns: $363

At Cabelas: $389.99 - $469.99
    Henry Octagon-Frontier Model Lever-Action Rimfire Rifles
    Finish: Blued
    Stock Description: American Walnut
    Weight (Lb): 6.25 pounds

Gun Broker: around $350ish, some more, some less

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Nice! The problem I had, though, was that I couldn't see the sight well at the end of the barrel. :dunno:
    It was still much more accurate than my pistol shooting.

Looks nice. I know next to nothing about these as far as value, etc but looks good.

On the sights, was the front sight fuzzy? Were you focusing on front sight, back sight, target? It's kind of difficult to do all 3.

I have problems with handgun sights being fuzzy these days. For the range, I got a set of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018JI0ZCM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But since you have not mentioned issues with handgun sights assuming your issue is different.

On another note, you might want to start a running thread with all the acquisitions, etc vs multiple threads ... might be easier at the rate you are going.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Looks nice. I know next to nothing about these as far as value, etc but looks good.

On the sights, was the front sight fuzzy? Were you focusing on front sight, back sight, target? It's kind of difficult to do all 3.

I have problems with handgun sights being fuzzy these days. For the range, I got a set of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018JI0ZCM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But since you have not mentioned issues with handgun sights assuming your issue is different.

On another note, you might want to start a running thread with all the acquisitions, etc vs multiple threads ... might be easier at the rate you are going.

1. Fuzzy b/c I wear trifocals and I'm looking out the top lens, and I need to be looking out my middle lens.
    2. When I fire handguns I have to lift my head up (with effort w/arthritis) to see from the middle lens.
    3. Good point about the threads. I start separate threads since I have many different issues and guns; you are suggesting running an ongoing thread no matter what gun I'm dealing with?
    4. I thought some would comment on just certain guns so I needed to keep things separate.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yep, now you've done it.
    I bought my Henry .22lr H001, used, a few years ago right here on Ingo.
    I just finished purchasing my 4th Henry...you'll see, they have a tendency to multiply.

My first was the H001 .22Lr
    Next, I won an FNRA banquet "Wall of Guns" raffle and picked the H001TMN10 Frontier .22mag with octagon barrel.
    Then, the one I waited SOOO long for, the H012M327 .327 Federal magnum Big Boy steel.
    Finally, just last month, I talked my local gun range/shop into selling me their rental Henry, H006MR .357mag Big Boy brass.

I have a weakness for levers.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. Fuzzy b/c I wear trifocals and I'm looking out the top lens, and I need to be looking out my middle lens.
    2. When I fire handguns I have to lift my head up (with effort w/arthritis) to see from the middle lens.
    3. Good point about the threads. I start separate threads since I have many different issues and guns; you are suggesting running an ongoing thread no matter what gun I'm dealing with?
    4. I thought some would comment on just certain guns so I needed to keep things separate.

Well just for the "acquisition" threads. Not a requirement just a thought based on your buy rate :ingo:
    And if you think that lever is fun, get an s&w 15-22 with a bunch of mags and a low cost red dot. That will have you smiling.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yep, now you've done it.
    I bought my Henry .22lr H001, used, a few years ago right here on Ingo.
    I just finished purchasing my 4th Henry...you'll see, they have a tendency to multiply.

My first was the H001 .22Lr
    Next, I won an FNRA banquet "Wall of Guns" raffle and picked the H001TMN10 Frontier .22mag with octagon barrel.
    Then, the one I waited SOOO long for, the H012M327 .327 Federal magnum Big Boy steel.
    Finally, just last month, I talked my local gun range/shop into selling me their rental Henry, H006MR .357mag Big Boy brass.

I have a weakness for levers.

Wow! I'm impressed. Having Henrys in different calibers is awesome.
    I assume they are all levers.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well just for the "acquisition" threads. Not a requirement just a thought based on your buy rate :ingo:
    And if you think that lever is fun, get an s&w 15-22 with a bunch of mags and a low cost red dot. That will have you smiling.

1. I appreciate any input: I'm a newbie.
    2. I have little comprehension of what that last statement meant but I'll google it:
    "bunch of mags" = bolt action?
    "low cost red dot" = no idea
    3. Did I mention I was a newbie. :laugh:
    4. "smiling" = I am having sooooo much fun with all this: the perfect hobby.
    5. I wish my best friend (who visited for about 12 hrs spending the night last Friday) still lived here: he loved my guns and had an small but impressive array himself and has many hunting rifles.
    6. He mentioned I sold him a police 38 special for $15 back in the last 80s that ended up being a collector item that is worth $600-$700. :wallbash:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yep! :yesway: There is just something cool about a lever gun. I shot one at a buddy's and then I had to go buy one. Got 2 now. :rockwoot:

I can understand that, but the 15-22 is a load of fun. Add a red dot and that thing will make you think you can really shoot. All the fun of an AR, on the cheap, and I can shoot it at the range I am a member at (can't shoot the 223 there).

One day if suppressors are removed from the NFA, I may go that route with it, and just be hearing lead hitting steel and the bolt cycling.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. I appreciate any input: I'm a newbie.
    2. I have little comprehension of what that last statement meant but I'll google it: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-22-sport-moe-sl-matte-black and various other models. Don't let the MSRP fool you, they can be had for much cheaper (at least when I bought mine and I assume similar now)
    "bunch of mags" = bolt action? No, Semi Auto... 25 round mags, buy a lot of them they are cheap.
    "low cost red dot" = no idea Check out Primary Arms and some other sites. Think AimPoint, on the cheap.Something like this Primary Arms Micro Dot With Removable Base MD-RBGII

Reply in line above

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I see this thread has moved from pistol to rifle forum. :):

I'll have one of these lever guns one day. Just like the pistol I've been drooling over, I'm after a color case hardened in .357. Henry doesn't make one in that caliber though. It might have to be a Taylor's & Co.

Top Bottom