• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    I found this sporterized Remington 1903-A3 on the used rack at a shop in FT Wayne yesterday. The rear sight, front barrel band and cap are missing and the receiver has been drilled and tapped for the front scope base, but other than that the metal is intact and rust free. I haven't decided if I am leaving like it is or taking it back to military configuration, I am kinda liking it as is.
    FullSizeRender.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Hmmm. Was most likely a CMP type gun originally then turned into a sporter at cost. If the sporterazation was done well I would shoot it and see how she does. If everything works and shoots well just leave it as a time capsule of a sporter.

Those into the 1903 will know it was sporterized and taking it back to original form will not increase it price much to the informed. That said the parts to make the transformation could be stockpiled up if found at prices that make it worth doing so over time. Plus it is fun to have to stop off at the old bins of surplus parts at the shows.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Man what shop? I missed it.....I personally would take it back, then shoot it in CMP matches.....

03a3 is on my list......how did I miss this one......darm.....

Nice find

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I've got a German Mauser that was sporterized back in the late 50. So much has been done to it that I decided to just leave it. It's a tack driver. I am keeping an eye out for the right parts. If I can find them cheap enough I will restore it someday. For now I am just enjoying shooting it.

Nice find! That one is on my bucket list to.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    03 action

2mq0ylz.jpg

SMOKEDIVER36

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Chesterfield IN
    My opinion is the odds are better this rifle came from the era of trash cans full of surplus rifles at your local Hardware Store for $25.00 a pop. Probably purchased by a returning soldier and turned into a sporter to better provide for his family. There were also a few companies from that time specializing in modifying these rifles to better fit the hunter. I myself do not know much about these companies but there is a whole sub set of collectors that could tell you all about them.

From the picture this looks like a good example and believe me there are some bad ones out there. I would leave it. Although there are few things as awesome as a original 1903A3, professional example sporters are awesome in their own way and it just adds to the history.

Original 1903A3 rifles can still be had for a reasonable price if you do your homework and be patient.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    These surplus rifle were really cheap back in the day. And plentiful. My Mauser was bought with a half dozen at 6 bucks each back in the 50's. I know the Krags were sporterized by a few company's back in the day. Lots of company's bought surplus rifles just for the action.

These were worth nothing back in the day. I am glad some were saved. But I would still buy a sporter 03a3 If I ran across one. Good score OP!

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I have returned a 1903 Springfield and two Enfield SMLE No 1 Mk 3 to original configuration. The Springfield was easier and cheaper to restore.

YMMV

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My opinion is the odds are better this rifle came from the era of trash cans full of surplus rifles at your local Hardware Store for $25.00 a pop. Probably purchased by a returning soldier and turned into a sporter to better provide for his family. There were also a few companies from that time specializing in modifying these rifles to better fit the hunter. I myself do not know much about these companies but there is a whole sub set of collectors that could tell you all about them.

From the picture this looks like a good example and believe me there are some bad ones out there. I would leave it. Although there are few things as awesome as a original 1903A3, professional example sporters are awesome in their own way and it just adds to the history.

Original 1903A3 rifles can still be had for a reasonable price if you do your homework and be patient.

I've changed my opinion of sporters over the years. If you look at them for what they are (talking about professionally done sporterizaton, not Bubba with a hacksaw), and not what they were, it's easy to see the attraction. I've got a couple of sporterized Krags, as well as a Brazilian Mauser rechambered to 30-06 and I love them. The Brazilian is a tack driver with a very light Timney trigger and full Mannlicher stock.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Since it has been drilled and tapped, there is absolutely no way to return it to what it originally was. Enjoy it for what it is, and if you still want one in the original military configuration then go get another one. This one is just not a candidate for restoration, and like others have said the sporterized guns are a reflection of the post-war period of history.

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    Thank you all for your helpful comments and opinions, I have decided to leave the rifle as is. I did some research on the Redfield scope that is mounted on it. Apparently Redfield removed the words (1"tube) from the side of the adjustment turrets on all their scopes in 1966. This Redfield has (1" Tube) written on it. So best guess, IF the scope was installed "brand new" the 03 would have been sporterized sometime before 1966.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    My dad bought one as surplus in the 50's. He replaced the stock with a nice Herters sporter with rollover cheekpiece and Monte Carlo. Then he fully bedded from rear to front of stock. I got it from him after getting married in 1974. Refinished the walnut stock and worked up loads for it. Shot in a rifle league in the early 80's, it would group an honest sub MOA on average. Great rifle!! Killed a lot of ground hogs with it using 110 grain hollowpoints (back in the day). Killed a deer last winter on a "nostalgia hunt" in memory of the old man. Intend to hunt with it this year as well.

Top Bottom