• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LWRC GUY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    United States
    Hey guys! What is the best ammo for an LWRC IC DI? I have been using American Eagle 62 grain FMJ 5.56 ammo and was wondering if anybody has a better recommendation.

The 62 grain American Eagle ammo I am using is brass since I heard a steel ammo is bad for the LWRC fluted barrel.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Back in 2005 I was at CENTAF FWD at the Deid. I was working AFFOR/A1M out of the CAOC Compound. I was the CENTAF FWD/A1M POC for the OIF PID; my partner Rob worked the OEF PID. Our boss was dual-hatted as A1M and Deputy A1 FWD. That got a little confusing since all three of us in A1M were Blue, the A1 FWD was Purple since he was CENTCOM, not CENTAF.

One day I got a SIPRNET e-mail from the PERSCO OIC at BIAP. They had a 2A-type out of the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] Wing show up and they had no idea where he was supposed to go. I did some research since we had a lot of ILO (later known as JET) taskings showing up with some sketchy info loaded in the DRMD.

He wasn’t going to any of the Dets under the 732[SUP]d [/SUP]out of Balad. I figured the guy would be going to the MNF-I ACCE Team or maybe MNSTC-I. Come to find out, he was going to NTMI working directly for the J4. We didn’t even know NATO was in this AOR!!

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Back in 2005 I was at CENTAF FWD at the Deid. I was working AFFOR/A1M out of the CAOC Compound. I was the CENTAF FWD/A1M POC for the OIF PID; my partner Rob worked the OEF PID. Our boss was dual-hatted as A1M and Deputy A1 FWD. That got a little confusing since all three of us in A1M were Blue, the A1 FWD was Purple since he was CENTCOM, not CENTAF.

One day I got a SIPRNET e-mail from the PERSCO OIC at BIAP. They had a 2A-type out of the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] Wing show up and they had no idea where he was supposed to go. I did some research since we had a lot of ILO (later known as JET) taskings showing up with some sketchy info loaded in the DRMD.

He wasn’t going to any of the Dets under the 732[SUP]d [/SUP]out of Balad. I figured the guy would be going to the MNF-I ACCE Team or maybe MNSTC-I. Come to find out, he was going to NTMI working directly for the J4. We didn’t even know NATO was in this AOR!!

Did you post this in the wrong thread?:dunno:

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I’ve shot plenty of steel cased out of my Lwrc. No I’ll effects observed. I’m pretty sure it’s been explored, and the conclusion is that by the time you shoot out a barrel, you will be able to afford a replacement with the money you saved from buying steel vs brass.

Now or if you are looking for accuracy, that’s another thing.

If if you are just plinking, buy whatever.

LWRC GUY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    United States
    I have never heard of steel cased being bad for a barrel.
    Hmm, I was told by an LWRC IC DI owner to not use steel casing ammo since it wasn't good for the fluted barrel. It wears it out more compared to brass? I didn't ask for him to elaborate more since the guy was in a rush so I decided to ask the forum.

I’ve shot plenty of steel cased out of my Lwrc. No I’ll effects observed. I’m pretty sure it’s been explored, and the conclusion is that by the time you shoot out a barrel, you will be able to afford a replacement with the money you saved from buying steel vs brass.

Now or if you are looking for accuracy, that’s another thing.

If if you are just plinking, buy whatever.

Tbh, I'm also aiming for accuracy. I wanted a bullet that will make my groupings even smaller. I still have a lot of trial and error to do by trying different types ammo since the only ammo I used so far on the rifle is the American Eagle 62 gr FMJ 5.56.

LWRC GUY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    United States
    Start out with any of the premium loads using the 69gr Sierra MatchKing (SMK) bullet....and expect it to be pricey.

I just checked them out. No 5.56 or .223 that I see for the MatchKing. My rifle can only shoot those ammo. Did I miss it? Or am I just not looking hard enough?

Last edited:

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    The LWRC DI has the tendency to like heavier bullets, every rifle is different so best thing to do is buy a few different brands and weights to find out your particular rifle best load. In my opinion if you can afford to shoot out your barrel and then you can afford to replace it, for general practice I shoot steel case ammo out of my LWRC DI and it's not going to be any time soon that I will see a decrease in accuracy. I recommend to do some reading rather than getting information from one particular individual as a lot of times information is not quite correct.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Your rifle can use safely 5.56 or .223 Remington, any match grade ammo is more expensive than regular practice ammo. One thing that I have learn is the the carbine set up is a self defense rifle not a precision dmr rifle, with that said the rifle is capable of good accuracy but 99.9% of time what limits the potential accuracy of the rifle is the shooter not the rifle.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Did you post this in the wrong thread?:dunno:

I didn't get it either.

blank_stare.jpg

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Hey guys! What is the best ammo for an LWRC IC DI? I have been using American Eagle 62 grain FMJ 5.56 ammo and was wondering if anybody has a better recommendation.

The 62 grain American Eagle ammo I am using is brass since I heard a steel ammo is bad for the LWRC fluted barrel.

Steel cases ammo is fine. If you believe everything the internet says or that buddy of a buddy who was an ex military guy you probably should ignore and look into some real data.

LuckyGunner did a good test.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Trees basically two types of ammo. Practice-stuff that’s cheap and you can afford to buy in bulk, and accuracy/defensive loads. For practice ammo, the American eagle stuff you have is fine. Steel case would also fall in this category. For max accuracy/defensive bullets, the LWRC barrels like heavier bullets (as was mentioned above). Anything in the 69-77 grain range would be fine. Some good brands for this are federal gold medal match, federal fusion MSR , IMI, or Speer Gold Dot.

good luck

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county

I believe this gentleman was poking fun at the acronyms. The lwrc of di etc. Maybe I'm off but that's how I took it. He went full blown with it though lol

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I just got an LWRC DI and will use 55gr to sight it and just plink around since most of the 62gr are green tipped "armor piecing". I'm not sure if indoor ranges allows it. I had a 1:9 twist AR so I have a lot of 55gr. Higher bullet weight is expensive and hard to find. I don't intend to waste money on it unless I do some real serious shooting.

I will probably use steel bullets when all else is gone. Accuracy is just a term. Unless there's money in it, I don't worry about having a rifle or ammo or scope that's a tack driver. As long as I hit my target, I'm happy.

With that said, how do you like your LWRC? I haven't shot mine yet but plan on switching the trigger and put a muzzle brake on it.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I haven't used much of it because none of that 55 or 62 gr FMJ ammo has ever shot worth diddly squat in my guns. I'm talking 9 twist bolt guns and a couple of 7 twist ARs. If the ability to hit a man-sized silhouette at 100 yards is all you want then anything will work in your alphabet gun. :):

Yes, I did get the multi-acronym-alpha response. Didn't understand what he said but I think that was his intent.

LWRC GUY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    United States
    The LWRC DI has the tendency to like heavier bullets, every rifle is different so best thing to do is buy a few different brands and weights to find out your particular rifle best load. In my opinion if you can afford to shoot out your barrel and then you can afford to replace it, for general practice I shoot steel case ammo out of my LWRC DI and it's not going to be any time soon that I will see a decrease in accuracy. I recommend to do some reading rather than getting information from one particular individual as a lot of times information is not quite correct.

Your rifle can use safely 5.56 or .223 Remington, any match grade ammo is more expensive than regular practice ammo. One thing that I have learn is the the carbine set up is a self defense rifle not a precision dmr rifle, with that said the rifle is capable of good accuracy but 99.9% of time what limits the potential accuracy of the rifle is the shooter not the rifle.
    Shot the rifle at the range and saw another guy with an LWRC IC DI. He said his rifle like the heavier ammo. He also said he shot both brass and steel, but didn't see a huge difference. hHe just preferred the brass more. And yes, the CI DI for me is for home defense and mostly for target practice at the range. Maybe even for a 3-gun competition when I get better at shooting it. Another reason why I started this post was that I wanted to stick to one ammo brand and just keep practicing.

Steel cases ammo is fine. If you believe everything the internet says or that buddy of a buddy who was an ex military guy you probably should ignore and look into some real data.

LuckyGunner did a good test.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/
    Just like what the guy told me at the range, he didn't see a huge difference when he shot brass and steel, he just preferred the brass more.

Btw, thank you for that link. It was definitely a good read. Federal AMMO is looking so good right now. Lol!

Trees basically two types of ammo. Practice-stuff that’s cheap and you can afford to buy in bulk, and accuracy/defensive loads. For practice ammo, the American eagle stuff you have is fine. Steel case would also fall in this category. For max accuracy/defensive bullets, the LWRC barrels like heavier bullets (as was mentioned above). Anything in the 69-77 grain range would be fine. Some good brands for this are federal gold medal match, federal fusion MSR , IMI, or Speer Gold Dot.

good luck
    Yeah, the American Eagle ammo I have been using is fine. Shot 50 rounds so far with no hiccups. I just wanted to see which ammo can give me more accuracy. The guy at the range also told me to check out the federal fusion MSR. He actually gave me a few rounds to try it out. Gotta check out the IMI and speer gold dot.

Top Bottom