• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    So I think I want to add a NM gun to my service rifle compettion guns......anyone here do business with compass lake engineering? Armalite,rock river arms and I think bravo company all offer a NM gun....or I can build up from parts, but from I am seeing there is no cost savings...

So , guys , your input here......

Thanks

Aaron

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I've owned an Armalite NM A2 (which I understand they no longer build) to which I added a Krieger 20" Stainless 1:7.75 twist Wylde barrel and a RRA Stainless NM upper on top of a home built lower A2 with a Geissele 2 stage trigger. Both guns shot well but when I started reloading to fit the individual chambers, they shot sub MOA groups.

If you have the means, I recommend that you proceed.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Back around 2000, I bought a CLE Krieger Service Rifle Upper in 7.7 (7.75?) twist, CLE chamber and pinned rear sight.

1/2 MOA was typical with handloads out to the 200 yds I had available. My usual load was 24.3gr of Vihtavuori N140 and SMK 69gr BTHP.

It's the most accurate rifle I have ever owned and do not hesitate to recommend CLE.

Last edited:

SMOKEDIVER36

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Chesterfield IN
    When the time came to switch from the Garand I purchased a Armalite NM from vendors row at Perry. The only reason for choosing the Armalite over the Rock River was they were open when I found the time between matches to do my shopping. A box stock NM rifle from either will take you as far as you want to go. The only difference I and others have found is that the R/R NM 2 stage trigger is just a little more crisp. I think at the time both came with a Douglas 1:8 with a Wylde chamber. The only thing I replaced was the trigger. If you can wait both will run deals at Perry during the National Matches to the tune of $900 to $1000 out the door.

After shooting this rifle a year and towards the end of its barrel life I purchased a CLE Krieger 1:7.7 upper ($1,100) again at Perry. I found no difference in the performance of these two uppers but will say the CLE will be built with the best parts they can find at that time.

Now each upper gets a rebarrel every other year. New barrel upper goes to full course matches, high round count upper goes to reduced course matches and practice.

Also if you watch the National Match Competition forum there are a few uppers being unloaded do to some recent rule changes.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    CLE barrels and rifles are top notch. I have a CLE barrel on one of my rifles and it is extremely accurate. Frank While knows how to cut a chamber.

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    +1 for White Oak Armament. They building an outstanding upper. As mentioned give them a call, and they will help you figure out what you need.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A few years ago, I started dabbling in NRA High Power matches. I bought a Rock River NM. It shoots extremely well and the trigger is nice. It really likes my reloads with either Varget or Reloder 15 with 75- 77 gr. BTHP bullets of Nosler or Hornady brand. Being an old fud, I put Bob Jones magnified peep sights on it and they really helped to clear up the front sight without shooting glasses. I ended up putting a RR trigger in my DPMS carbine and it is just as good as the one in the NM Rock River. I never really got hooked on HP competition, but the rifle has always been capable.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    As of right now, I am shooting a 16 inch carbine, fill leant hand guard, iron sights and getting my fair share of X's .....but I want to step my game up.

I can and will hold out till Perry next year, last year I didn't make to commercial row, (plus I think most everone was gone) I blew in shot the rim fire spotter match and had to go....

Lots of research to do.....I can spend the money,but only once, so I want to get it right (for me anyways)

Aaron

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

SMOKEDIVER36

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Chesterfield IN
    As of right now, I am shooting a 16 inch carbine, fill leant hand guard, iron sights and getting my fair share of X's .....but I want to step my game up.

I can and will hold out till Perry next year, last year I didn't make to commercial row, (plus I think most everone was gone) I blew in shot the rim fire spotter match and had to go....

Lots of research to do.....I can spend the money,but only once, so I want to get it right (for me anyways)

Aaron

If your plan is to go back to Perry next year my advice is to attend the SAFS. I will not tell you the coaching is great cause it is not what it use to be. One coach per 10 shooters is just to much. You will pick up at least a couple pointers. The main reason is you will get to handle and fire a R/R NM rifle in a match.

As stated in the other threads White Oak, Compass Lake, Keystone Accuracy and Mudcat all build outstanding match uppers. These uppers while awesome will set you back $700 to $1000 when you can get the entire R/R rifle for less $1000. I am sticking to what I said earlier that unless you are consistently shooting High Master scores in full distance across the course matches you will not see the difference.

Top Bottom