• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Okra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Anyone know much about these? Interesting looking carbine, but not much info around on them.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    The FR-7 and FR- 8 carbines were modified from earlier models of Spanish Mausers. It is said that they were created as training rifles for the select fire Cetme rifle.

The FR-7 was made from the 1916 model, a small ring mauser action, while the FR-8 was converted from the Model 43 large ring version.

I have only seen one FR-7 at gun shows, etc., while the FR-8 is more common. Since the FR-7 is a small ring action, I would be cautious firing .308 Winchester ammo in it, or even some 7.62x51 NATO, due to gas relief in event of a rupture.

Okra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Weren't the 1893 and 1916 Oviedo models chambered for 7mm while the M43 was in 8mm? Is that the difference between small ring and large ring?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The FR-7 and FR- 8 carbines were modified from earlier models of Spanish Mausers. It is said that they were created as training rifles for the select fire Cetme rifle.

The FR-7 was made from the 1916 model, a small ring mauser action, while the FR-8 was converted from the Model 43 large ring version.

I have only seen one FR-7 at gun shows, etc., while the FR-8 is more common. Since the FR-7 is a small ring action, I would be cautious firing .308 Winchester ammo in it, or even some 7.62x51 NATO, due to gas relief in event of a rupture.

From this article that Indy posted, it looks like they tested the Model 1916's in .308 Winchester (because of concerns with the higher pressure rounds) with no issues reported until they got way above SAAMI pressure specs for that round, which of course is higher pressure than standard 7.62 NATO round.

http://milsurpafterhours.com/bb/down...1abf&mode=view

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I have an FR8. Really cool little gun. Would make a hell of a deer gun. Short, light, and has different sights then the old guns.
    Reminds you of one of those Ruger gun sight rifles

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    From this article that Indy posted, it looks like they tested the Model 1916's in .308 Winchester (because of concerns with the higher pressure rounds) with no issues reported until they got way above SAAMI pressure specs for that round, which of course is higher pressure than standard 7.62 NATO round.

http://milsurpafterhours.com/bb/down...1abf&mode=view

Jim, I was referring to case ruptures, not about blowing up the gun. With the small ring mauser bolt shroud, you would get a face full of burning powder if a case fails.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I have an FR8. Really cool little gun. Would make a hell of a deer gun. Short, light, and has different sights then the old guns.
    Reminds you of one of those Ruger gun sight rifles

Agreed! OP, if you're considering one, go with the FR8 and never look back. They are really handy little rifles, and can be had for pennies (for now). I snagged one from INGO, and it had already been drilled and tapped for a scope and had a rubber recoil pad installed, so I set it up with a Vortex red dot and made it a poor man's scout rifle. They are great!

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Ah, okay. My misunderstanding! Should've known better than to question The Master. :bowdown::)

Gee DD... You got to start pulling it together...

Z

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    I don't know about the had for pennies. I sold a nice one last year for $450. They have went up along with every other milsurp riffle you can find. The first one I had I bought at daves guns and tubs in whiteland for $89 circus 1995. Being a dumb kid I bastardized it with a scope and butt pad. In turn helping to drive the cost of unmolested FR8s up.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I don't know about the had for pennies. I sold a nice one last year for $450. They have went up along with every other milsurp riffle you can find. The first one I had I bought at daves guns and tubs in whiteland for $89 circus 1995. Being a dumb kid I bastardized it with a scope and butt pad. In turn helping to drive the cost of unmolested FR8s up.
    Dave's guns and tubs. What a concept. Now, that takes me back. You certainly do get around.

Okra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Excellent information! One question though....some of the articles talk about CETME ammo. Different from 7.62 NATO? Different from the 7.62x51mm L2A2 Ball Surplus Ammo from Malaysia currently floating around?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Excellent information! One question though....some of the articles talk about CETME ammo. Different from 7.62 NATO? Different from the 7.62x51mm L2A2 Ball Surplus Ammo from Malaysia currently floating around?

The 7.62×51mm CETME round is a variant of the 7.62×51mm NATO rifle cartridge with a plastic-cored lead bullet and a reduced propellant charge. The 7.62×51mm CETME is otherwise identical to the NATO standard. It was produced as a joint venture by the Spanish Government design and development establishment known as CETME (Centro de Estudios Técnicos de Materiales Especiales, or "Center for Technical Studies of Special Materials") and the German arms manufacturer Heckler & Koch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62×51mm_CETME

Had to google it. I was wondering the same thing.

Top Bottom