• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Doesn't really interest me for a bolt gun considering I have a few comparable calibers in that range anyway.
    However... An AR? I'm going to be watching immediately for accessories and what it's going to take to build OR buy one.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I'd still build the Grendel :): It is definitely going to be an interesting development and will take some time to get a dedicated following as did the Grendel. Not sure what your intended purpose is, but I like being able to use the 123gr bullets for deer hunting while also having the option to shoot 90gr for varmints.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I just remembered that I have an unused 12.5", 6 twist barrel from Green Mountain they sent me a few years back. That would make for a mighty sweet little suppressed coyote package.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I'd still build the Grendel :): It is definitely going to be an interesting development and will take some time to get a dedicated following as did the Grendel. Not sure what your intended purpose is, but I like being able to use the 123gr bullets for deer hunting while also having the option to shoot 90gr for varmints.

The application would dictate the caliber, but in general I support this statement. I am a huge Grendel fan.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

I have no purpose for the valk or the Grendel. I've got 2 ar's that cover any kind of local deer hunting I want to do, I've got a few 5.56 that will cover varmint, and I've got an hd ar... The Grendel/valk build will be purely a fun long range toy. But if my wife asks it is a very important round with many useful purposes and such

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    JP Rifles has barrels out. Their homepage says they have rifles, barrels, kits, and uppers but the only one listed is the barrel. Just under 600 in 20" light 20" medium and 22" medium.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Very cool round, i guess i just dont see the point of small frame ARs trying to compete with large frame calibers. The .224 valykrie will probably be over $1/round(if im way off on my price then disregard), when 6.5cm is under $1/round. Why not do it with the 6.5? Not an argument i just truly don't understand. Any insight? Thanks

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Well, I will say that the small frame AR is strongly rumored to be MUCH easier to tune. It just flat shoots better, easier, then the -10.

But yeah, $1 a round might be low. Proprietary and all.

I mean shoot, my LR .223 is over $0.70 on it's own, and that's with me rolling it from KNOWN and WIDELY PRODUCED components.

-Nate

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Very cool round, i guess i just dont see the point of small frame ARs trying to compete with large frame calibers. The .224 valykrie will probably be over $1/round(if im way off on my price then disregard), when 6.5cm is under $1/round. Why not do it with the 6.5? Not an argument i just truly don't understand. Any insight? Thanks

Weight is a big one. The AR-15 vs the AR-10 is a no contest as to which one I want to lug around while hunting. My .50 Beowulf is still lighter than the -10 at the gun shop. Handguards are also more widely available and much cheaper. Lastly I'd say familiarity, the -10 is close, but for guys like me who have basically all but retired any other long rifles than their ar15's the size feels just right and I have a stockpile of buttstocks, handguards, bolt carriers, bolts, etc that I have been gathering during sales.

My thinking is kind of the opposite, if it cant fit in an ar15 I want it in a bolt gun. Not trying to be argumentative just saying what interests me about the ar15 long range rounds vs stepping up into an ar10.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I like seeing new cartridges brought to market. ... if they offer an advantage (higher velocity, smaller package, cheaper to produce, etc)

Time and experience will tell if the valkyrie offers those things.

How does it compare ballistically to a 22-250 or a 222mag/204ruger?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    How does it compare ballistically to a 22-250 or a 222mag/204ruger?

It would get the snot kicked out of it by a .22-250, and kick the snot out of .204.

Oddly, with the Long Range ammo, it is NOT that far ahead of handloaded .223. Surprising, given the resources put into what is supposed to be a "1,300 yard cartridge".

By the by, that's horsesh@#$. 100" rifles are not really much of a 1,000 yard platform, and the Valkyrie is just that. My Service Rifle LR upper would be dead even with a 20" barreled Valkyrie...and that's by their OWN numbers.

Doesn't add up.

-Nate

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Weight is a big one. The AR-15 vs the AR-10 is a no contest as to which one I want to lug around while hunting. My .50 Beowulf is still lighter than the -10 at the gun shop. Handguards are also more widely available and much cheaper. Lastly I'd say familiarity, the -10 is close, but for guys like me who have basically all but retired any other long rifles than their ar15's the size feels just right and I have a stockpile of buttstocks, handguards, bolt carriers, bolts, etc that I have been gathering during sales.

My thinking is kind of the opposite, if it cant fit in an ar15 I want it in a bolt gun. Not trying to be argumentative just saying what interests me about the ar15 long range rounds vs stepping up into an ar10.

exactly the information i was looking for. All good points, and now i see where the need could arise. For me personally, if im going to shoot out that far im going to do it with a bolt anyways, because they are much more forgiving for a scrub like me. :-)

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Very good informative video! I didn't like the fact they constantly compared it to the 6.5 Creedmoor and not the 6.5 Grendel. Are they just skipping over trying to become the best AR-15 platform rifle and going straight to the best long range rifle? Ballistics look good, but until they are field proven, I'm not sold. Will be following it closely in the coming months!

Top Bottom