Son wants a 12g autoloader for Christmas. Maybe Moss 930. Any thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    He has been hunting with my (was Grandpas) 1100 Remmy but he would like his own 12g auto.

He has been doing his research (and a budget limit from me) and has zeroed in on the Mossberg 930 with Syn stock basic unit.

930 Hunting All Purpose Field | O.F. Mossberg & Sons

He started with a Moss 500 20g- Hogue reduced lop stock, youth barrel then got hooked on Dads 1100.

Anyone have any experience with the Mossy 930?

Thoughts/comments welcomed.

Regards,

B&G

:ingo:

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I've got one that I like quite a bit. Very reliable. "Ghost loading" is a feature that some might find useful if they have an extended magazine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have owned several 930's in different configurations. I have one now. It is reliable and will eat about anything you feed it except the really low recoil stuff.
    For the price point I think they are a great.
    You can also feed them from the after market.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    On the used market with time and a bit of luck a rem 1100 or 11-87 is not out of the running. mSRP of 600 on the mossy.

I would call the indiana gun gun club and see what they had in stock on used shotguns as I have found some gems there in the past.

Nothing like a nice vintage 1100 11-87 with the 1980’s wood stock like dad’s most likely. Nothing wrong with the mossy either but in shotgun have always liked the older Remington’s. New I would choose mossburg over Remington as they have fallen in quality for years now.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    You can buy a 930 from Bud's for $350 new ( + or - ). I bought mine for around that price, added a steel safety toggle and bought a defensive barrel when Mossberg put them on sale (which they do on a regular basis).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You can buy a 930 from Bud's for $350 new ( + or - ). I bought mine for around that price, added a steel safety toggle and bought a defensive barrel when Mossberg put them on sale (which they do on a regular basis).

My current one started out this way. Chaote stock, mag tube extension, comp charging handle, the good safety, Billet shell follower and a few mods to the trigger. Solid platform and to my personal liking.
    Left as it came there was nothing wrong with it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'll just leave this here for your viewing pleasure.
    [video=youtube;N5QTFvnENRc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5QTFvnENRc[/video]

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

Saw that on Buds...

Sure, a 1100 would be nice, but for $350+- new at Buds, its hard to beat especially for something that will probably see some abuse.

Thanks,

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Maybe he's a lefty. :dunno:

I really want to replace my 1100 with a Mossberg. I just don't like the ergonomics of the Remington.

Jetta, funny story, we fought left-right eye dominance years ago. I actually have a pair of safety glasses with the left eye blacked out.

He wanted to shoot a right-hand thumb hole stock 22 and trying as a lefty was a no-go. Dad wasn't going to start buying left handed.

Top Bottom