• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greeves04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    20171020_203419.jpg 20171020_203434.jpg 20171020_203434.jpg

Started this gun 10 years ago and it was sitting in pieces in the safe. So we Had to finish it
    Cut the barrel down to 20inches recrowned it then went to bolt. Ordered the ati scope and bolt kit. Bolt was loose so we tig welded to bolt forgot and left spring in bolt so we had to replace that the heat junked it. Threw it on the ati Monte Carlo stock. These stocks are not bad but they are not ready when they ship them spent couple hours sanding the mold limes out so it feels nice in the hand. Be sure if you use the scope kit you epoxy the mount to barrel and use lock rite on the bolts mine was coming loose after 10 rounds. I had never painted a fun before so we thought we'd give it a try maybe too much snake skin pattern but too each there own. I know alot of people hate to see old guns cut up but it doesn't bother me at all. So buy a cheap gun and go to town this was a fun build that the kids can help with

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Who did you have cut & crown the barrel? I have one that I got as a project. It has the ATI monte carlo stock, scope mount, and bolt handle. The stock had a really tight fit around the barrel, so I used a 1/2" pvc pipe wrapped with sandpaper to smooth it out and free floated the barrel just enough to slip a dollar bill between the stock & barrel. The barrel has some minor pitting on the outside near the muzzle, so I want to have it cut down and crowned. It was painted when I got it but the paint rubs right off if Hoppes gets on it. I think I will have it duracoated.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    They were cheap blasters kept in stock cofig. Now prices have risen and adding aftermarket junk defeats the purpose.

Haven't seen one that will actually shoot well. I just worked with a guy who dumped a bunch of money on one. Same stuff. ATI stock, barrel cut and crown, trigger work.....Basically 300 plus worth of work on a 80 dollar gun

Guess what? It's still an 80 dollar gun. Couldn't keep it on paper at 50yrds.

Told him he should have bought a Savage. Been money ahead and be punching the bullseye out of targets. Not to mention resale. Mosin isn't worth anything now.

You guys guns shoot decent?

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Looks good to me! I know that the modifications may diminish the value, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and value is in the eye of the owner.

Playing gunsmith is a fun hobby. Why else would the AR15, the LEGOs of the rifle world, become so popular to build?

Maybe your gun doesn’t shoot any better or hold any more value, but perhaps those things weren’t the goal. It looks great, and I bet it was a fun project!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    They were cheap blasters kept in stock cofig. Now prices have risen and adding aftermarket junk defeats the purpose.

Haven't seen one that will actually shoot well. I just worked with a guy who dumped a bunch of money on one. Same stuff. ATI stock, barrel cut and crown, trigger work.....Basically 300 plus worth of work on a 80 dollar gun

Told him he should have bought a Savage. Been money ahead and be punching the bullseye out of targets. Not to mention resale. Mosin isn't worth anything now.

When I aquired mine, the project had already been started. But I will say this, I haven't seen one that can't stay on paper at 50 or 100yds like so many claim. I bought when they were super cheap. My dad wanted a sporter and so I built him one in the same configuration as a Christmas gift. I put a Weaver Nitrex 3-15x50 scope on it and that thing punches the center out of the target a 100yds. We were at the range a year ago. He took it and I took my Savage in .300wsm. I will say, wouldn't have any issues with hunting big game with it. And that was using surplus ammo.

Edit- I also have an unmolested numbers matching M44 and it shoots 4" groups at 100yds with original iron sights and surplus ammo.

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

I understand where you are coming from on the value. Even though they aren't as cheap and plentiful as they were a few years ago and the surplus ammo is harder to find, I wouldn't mind having another one or two. Aftermarket ammo is easy to find and they are still fun to shoot.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    View attachment 60106 View attachment 60107 View attachment 60107

Started this gun 10 years ago and it was sitting in pieces in the safe. So we Had to finish it
    Cut the barrel down to 20inches recrowned it then went to bolt. Ordered the ati scope and bolt kit. Bolt was loose so we tig welded to bolt forgot and left spring in bolt so we had to replace that the heat junked it. Threw it on the ati Monte Carlo stock. These stocks are not bad but they are not ready when they ship them spent couple hours sanding the mold limes out so it feels nice in the hand. Be sure if you use the scope kit you epoxy the mount to barrel and use lock rite on the bolts mine was coming loose after 10 rounds. I had never painted a fun before so we thought we'd give it a try maybe too much snake skin pattern but too each there own. I know alot of people hate to see old guns cut up but it doesn't bother me at all. So buy a cheap gun and go to town this was a fun build that the kids can help with

looks good. If you really want to upset the "die-hards" do what I did and put a suppressor on it!

iPhone%205274-X2.jpg

You can see more at Mosin Nagant - DanVoils

Last edited:
    Top Bottom