• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    Is it worth it to buy a 22lr assembled upper for an ar 15 vs buying something like a ruger 10/22 or some sort of savage 22 rifle? I'll spend roughly the same amount of money either way. Will the ar cycle properly, or are there any problems doing that?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have 2 Smith 15-22s, they're a blast to shoot suppressed and have been extremely reliable.

Standard velocities and subsonics no problems, every now and then I'll have a CCI Quiet cycle all the way too

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Is it worth it to buy a 22lr assembled upper for an ar 15 vs buying something like a ruger 10/22 or some sort of savage 22 rifle? I'll spend roughly the same amount of money either way. Will the ar cycle properly, or are there any problems doing that?

Well I do not know about owning a AR15 upper in .22cal. However, I do know about owning a Colt AR platform in .22cal. They are a LOT of fun to shoot and mine works flawlessly. It cycles as fast as I can pull the trigger, you can burn through some .22 with one I will tell you that and mine is accurate with standard factory sites which by the way are exactly the same as those one would find on a regular AR15. I recommend forgo the 10/22 or Savage. Get a Colt AR in .22cal. Just my two cents.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have 2 Smith 15-22s, they're a blast to shoot suppressed and have been extremely reliable.

Standard velocities and subsonics no problems, every now and then I'll have a CCI Quiet cycle all the way too

Agreed. Get a 15-22. You won't regret it. Unlike some of the so called AR15 look a likes out there, the controls are all in the right place. I love my 15-22.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Buy a chiappa 22 upper, pull it out of the crappy plasic upper, swap it in to an Anderson sport upper....use a good barrel nut, and a free float hand gaurd......mine runs perfect, and is accurate.....plus you can drop it on your lower and have a good trainer

Aaron

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

I am a PSA fan, I have a number of their products. So from that angle you're GTG. When I was researching my purchase, my google searches told me it's the design that matters. The conversion kits to install into a .223 upper is NOT the way to go. The dedicated uppers with the appropriate rifling twist for a .22 LR will give you the best results. I like the TAC SOL because I could put it on my competition upper with the fancy 2 stage trigger and practice in the off season for cheap.

Spend the extra money and be happy that you did.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Those psa uppers look nice. I kick myself daily for selling my Bushmaster c15-22. Maybe I'll keep those psa uppers in mind. I'm the interim I really enjoy my utm conversion, other than cost per trigger pull. I can train in the house, when the wife is at work lol

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    It is strictly a matter of preference! I never liked the idea of an AR 15 in 22 cal. I won a new Colt AR in 22 a few years ago in a drawing at the club where I belong. I actually didn't even shoot it, traded it in on a Garand at a gun show.

Never regretted it, as I have a couple of 22's including an older Marlin that I like and it is in my opinion more fun to use to hunt and shoot. I have a couple of AR 15's in 5.56 and planning to build one in Grendel, but don't see any reason to have one in a smaller caliber.
    '

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    It is strictly a matter of preference! I never liked the idea of an AR 15 in 22 cal. I won a new Colt AR in 22 a few years ago in a drawing at the club where I belong. I actually didn't even shoot it, traded it in on a Garand at a gun show.

Never regretted it, as I have a couple of 22's including an older Marlin that I like and it is in my opinion more fun to use to hunt and shoot. I have a couple of AR 15's in 5.56 and planning to build one in Grendel, but don't see any reason to have one in a smaller caliber.
    '

It is much cheaper to run drills with 22lr than 5.56 or 223. I also enjoy squirrel hunting with ar peep sights as it is a whole new challenge. It is also an excellent training tool for children, wives, sisters, millennial brother in laws... I was in your shoes when I sold mine, but now that I have started to take classes with AR's I really wish I had it back. As a bonus rimfire suppressors are about half the cost of one for a 223.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'll second what Winamac said. I have a Colt, no problems ever. It's a Great Shooter!

do you have the walther colt m4 or does/did colt actually produce their own? I only ask because of some negative reviews I read on the walther built options. One article mentioned that it had non standard threads that do not allow a typical rimfire suppressor without some sort of adapter.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    do you have the walther colt m4 or does/did colt actually produce their own? I only ask because of some negative reviews I read on the walther built options. One article mentioned that it had non standard threads that do not allow a typical rimfire suppressor without some sort of adapter.

It's a rebranded Umarex

Colt hasn't produced one of their own 22 anythings for quite some time. Woodsman, Huntsman, Ace, etc.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Does anyone have any experience with the Kriss DMK22? I have kind of passed on the tippmann because by the time I build it to resemble my carbine I'd be in over the cost of a kriss, and well over the cost of putting a lower together for a cmmg or psa dedicated upper.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Does anyone have any experience with the Kriss DMK22? I have kind of passed on the tippmann because by the time I build it to resemble my carbine I'd be in over the cost of a kriss, and well over the cost of putting a lower together for a cmmg or psa dedicated upper.

Only handled one, never shot one. Heavy, but would serve as an accurate trainer in terms of weight. They seemed very colid build and the fact they use 10/22 barrels I thought was pretty neat

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    It is much cheaper to run drills with 22lr than 5.56 or 223. I also enjoy squirrel hunting with ar peep sights as it is a whole new challenge. It is also an excellent training tool for children, wives, sisters, millennial brother in laws... I was in your shoes when I sold mine, but now that I have started to take classes with AR's I really wish I had it back. As a bonus rimfire suppressors are about half the cost of one for a 223.

This is exactly all the reasons I want a 22lr upper.

Top Bottom