• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I am thinking about assembling an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel.. I bought 3 AR lower receivers a few years ago, just finished one in 5.56 Wylde and have all the parts for a second in same caliber. I thought I would assemble the third in the Grendel. Started looking at options and Bear Creek has assembled uppers for quite a bit less than I can find the parts cost I can find. Just wondering if anyone has used their parts or assemblies and what the quality is and the company's rep. Sure be grateful for your experiences. Thanks.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Can't help you out but THANK YOU for using the word "assemble" instead of "build"! If it doesn't involve a mill and/or a cnc machine, its just assembling parts.

I've been undecided upon a 6.5 Grendel upper for a lower I have - narrowed it down to two price points. Alexander Arms and Radical Arms.

I'll be watching to see if Bear Creek should be on that list...

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I am thinking about assembling an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel.. I bought 3 AR lower receivers a few years ago, just finished one in 5.56 Wylde and have all the parts for a second in same caliber. I thought I would assemble the third in the Grendel. Started looking at options and Bear Creek has assembled uppers for quite a bit less than I can find the parts cost I can find. Just wondering if anyone has used their parts or assemblies and what the quality is and the company's rep. Sure be grateful for your experiences. Thanks.
    Just gonna throw this out there, most companies "assembling" AR parts are hiring the bottom of the barrel. If you have the tools an knowledge, do it yourself.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Just gonna throw this out there, most companies "assembling" AR parts are hiring the bottom of the barrel. If you have the tools an knowledge, do it yourself.

I assembled the last AR I have and considered assembling a Grendel Upper. However the price of a complete upper from Bear Creek at $320 to $350 is far cheaper than the part cost - by $100 ~$200. For the price I could afford to replace the barrel or bolt and still save money!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Wouldn't consider one unless I absolutely couldn't afford anything better. Bottom of the barrel stuff. It's cheap for a reason, parts ain't parts, etc...

And why buy junk when the good stuff is so dang cheap right now? It's a buyers market.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Wouldn't consider one unless I absolutely couldn't afford anything better. Bottom of the barrel stuff. It's cheap for a reason, parts ain't parts, etc...

And why buy junk when the good stuff is so dang cheap right now? It's a buyers market.

Question is "Is it JUNK"?, I have a fairly large collection of firearms, from Colts, Winchester, Remington, Ruger, Armalite, Kimber etc. to Jennings, Cobra, and many surplus military. I have often found "Name brand / high prices" do not always mean better firearms. I am not a "brand snob" and have found prices often are set due to advertising and name, not necessarily quality! Son and I collect guns and don't sell or trade any so second hand prices do not mean anything to me. I am just looking for a practical accuracy application, not long range target shooting (Already have some that would work for that if we wanted). Wanting to know if the Bear Creek are 100% functional, from reviews I have read on other sites they appear to currently have very decent quality, although they had problems in the past. Thought some here may have purchased firearms or parts from them recently and their opinion.
    As to prices, no one comes anywhere close to them in the Grendel caliber. They are comparable to several other companies in the 5.56 caliber. I already have a couple of 5.56 AR's and a LR 308 with DPMS upper.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Personal experience is not acceptable feedback IMHO. Sample sizes of 1 don't mean anything to me. You may get lucky and get one that runs great. But you're much likelier to get a turd from Bear Creek than you are from a reputable manufacturer.

There's a lot of AR manufacturers out there where you aren't "paying for the brand name."

With AR's, you do get what you pay for. Bear Creek is cheap for a reason. They are not high quality.

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    Personal experience is not acceptable feedback IMHO. Sample sizes of 1 don't mean anything to me. You may get lucky and get one that runs great. But you're much likelier to get a turd from Bear Creek than you are from a reputable manufacturer.

There's a lot of AR manufacturers out there where you aren't "paying for the brand name."

With AR's, you do get what you pay for. Bear Creek is cheap for a reason. They are not high quality.

Seems like you have a lot of knowledge/experience with Bear Creek.

Can you point out some of your sources that indicate they are unreliable turds? I haven't been able to find a lot of negative about them but I'm always interested in the wisdom of more experienced, unbiased shooters. It helps us novices avoid making mistakes like buying a bear creek product.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Read on M4c. Bear Creek is bottom of the barrel junk.

Google:
    site:m4carbine.net Bear Creek

You'll find all you need to know.

Seems like you have a lot of knowledge/experience with Bear Creek.

Can you point out some of your sources that indicate they are unreliable turds? I haven't been able to find a lot of negative about them but I'm always interested in the wisdom of more experienced, unbiased shooters. It helps us novices avoid making mistakes like buying a bear creek product.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I have pulled 3 quick links that you should take a look at. The forum is designed around the caliber and the majority of folks are pretty trustworthy in their opinions. The 3rd link has information that I believe will lead you to buying one. Good luck and let me know how it shoots since I love the caliber. I have an Odin Works 20" DMR for what its worth.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?15119-Bear-Creek-now-offering-SS-5-R-barrels

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?15046-BCA-20-inch-Stainless-day-at-the-Range

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?14537-Bear-Creek-Arsenal-Complete-Uppers

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    No experience with 6.5, but I purchased a BCA 10.5" stainless barrel in 300 Blackout for a pistol build for $55 from Primary Arms. I have no regrets. It functions flawlessly with both super and subs unsuppressed. All my AR's would be considered "Franken guns" and they all have run flawlessly without any Noveske or Bravo Company parts in them. I am sure they sell fine parts, I am just not convinced that they are worth the extra cost. For me I'll skip the big name and spend the extra money on ammo.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Thanks for all your replies. I think I will take a chance on an upper from BCA, most of the reviews I have read on other sites have been positive. As far as accuracy, most firearms today are far more accurate than this operator. 50 or 60 years ago I might have done better.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I bought a BCA upper, in 6.5 Grendel, from a friend last Friday. He had purchased three of them. One 18", one 20" and one 24".
    He said they all shot well.
    I bought the 20" off of him. It has a fluted, heavy barrel. The fit and finish are very good. And I agree with my buddy. It shoots nice.
    I would not be afraid to order an upper from BCA.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    BCA

I have the 16" BCA complete upper and should get it to the range for the first time this coming Monday.

I am still breaking in my BCA 6.5 Grendel upper but yesterday I was getting 1 MOA at 100 yards using Hornady 123g. I bought the 16" to save weight, since this will be my deer gun. I ground hunt and stalk so weight is more important than distance. If I was using a tree stand and hunting open fields I would have gone with a longer barrel for increased velocity/distance. I also added a muzzle break and there is almost no recoil although the 6.5 does not have significant recoil to begin with but there is a noticeable difference with the break.

Top Bottom