• ...and so much more!
  • daventos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Bedford
    I am new to bolt guns and would like to buy an entry level .243 win. I have heard good things about the accuracy of the Savage 11/111. The Savage comes with a Nikon 3x9 scope. I have no first hand experience with Savage though. The Ruger American comes with a Vortex 3x9. I have read a lot of really good things about the Vortex warranty and customer service. I haven't been able to find as much info about the Ruger American rifle. I have owned other Rugers and have been extremely pleased the one time I did deal with their customer service. The regular price of both is pretty close right now from what I have seen. Savage does have a $50 dollar rebate which would be nice but I still wouldn't buy for that reason alone. Any other brand recommendations would be appreciated as well. I would like to stay below $600 for this rifle. The Savage and Ruger are both around $490 before rebate. I plan to use the rifle mostly for target shooting but may hunt deer someday if that is a consideration.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    No idea about the Ruger.
    But if the 11 shoots as good as my 10FP you will not be disappointed.
    Plus with a few tools you can change barrels on the Savage. Making it a multi- caliber

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have both. Go with the Savage.
    As accurate and economic as the Americans are they're still "entry" level.
    Not a lot of aftermarket support on the Americans yet. Very limited as of my last searches a couple of weeks ago.
    On the other hand... I can recommend the American for a gun you won't shoot often or don't see a need to customize.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I would have to give my vote to the Ruger American. I have had Remington 700, Savage 11, Howa 1500 and of all those guns my Ruger American was just as accurate but less picky about the ammo it would shoot. You could site it in with one brand and swap without much difference.

I actually think the feel of the newer savage 10/11 in terms of fit and finish are below the Americans. The stock on the Savage is thin in my opinion. I know of 5 guys I keep in touch with during hunting season and all have the American in either .308 or .270 and just love them.

Either gun would be a great choice but the Ruger just feels better in my hand. Did you shoulder either of them?

daventos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Bedford
    I would have to give my vote to the Ruger American. I have had Remington 700, Savage 11, Howa 1500 and of all those guns my Ruger American was just as accurate but less picky about the ammo it would shoot. You could site it in with one brand and swap without much difference.

I actually think the feel of the newer savage 10/11 in terms of fit and finish are below the Americans. The stock on the Savage is thin in my opinion. I know of 5 guys I keep in touch with during hunting season and all have the American in either .308 or .270 and just love them.

Either gun would be a great choice but the Ruger just feels better in my hand. Did you shoulder either of them?

I haven't got to shoot either one of them. I ended up ordering the Savage yesterday. I have been considering a bolt gun for the last year or so and have changed my mind so many times about what caliber and what rifle to start with I finally decided to just make a decision. One thing I have come to realize is that even if I am completely happy with the choice I made I'll be looking for the next gun in short order anyway.:):

I agree that the fit and finish is above the Savage though. They are really nice. That was one of the things that made me consider it.

I recently started reloading and I'm liking it quite a bit. I plan to work up a few different loads that work well and stick with those for the most part. I had never really considered looking into how well a bolt gun likes different types of ammo but it only makes sense after you mention it.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I haven't got to shoot either one of them. I ended up ordering the Savage yesterday. I have been considering a bolt gun for the last year or so and have changed my mind so many times about what caliber and what rifle to start with I finally decided to just make a decision. One thing I have come to realize is that even if I am completely happy with the choice I made I'll be looking for the next gun in short order anyway.:):

I agree that the fit and finish is above the Savage though. They are really nice. That was one of the things that made me consider it.

I recently started reloading and I'm liking it quite a bit. I plan to work up a few different loads that work well and stick with those for the most part. I had never really considered looking into how well a bolt gun likes different types of ammo but it only makes sense after you mention it.

I wouldn't fret about making the wrong choice. The Savage is a heck of a fine gun and will most likely be very accurate. Accuracy issues with rounds are typically seen by those who use factory ammo. If you reload you will most likely be able to work up a good load pretty quick if you use sierra match kings or something along that level.

Top Bottom