• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just bought the same rifle in .243 minus the glass for $197 and change after mail-in rebate.
    I've only shot Remington Cor-Lokt through it, but they are VERY accurate in the .243.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Bolt was rather stiff when I first picked it up.
    Disassembled and cleaned it really well then oiled it up.
    It's pretty slick now, and getting smoother as I work it.

They are supposed to be guaranteed M.O.A. or better out of the box.
    They were also named Guns and Ammo's "Rifle of the year" for 2016.
    I figured for sub-$200 I could take a chance.

I'm not disappointed.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I got the Compass in .308 just for an alternative/beater rifle. But they're nice. I can't believe how nice it is for the cost. I can't really call it nor treat it like a beater.

I should have got the combo because I bought a nice scope and rings that essentially cost as much as the Compass.

Now as far as the rebate goes, I'm reading that these S&W rebates take a looooong time. So it has been about 4 weeks​ since I did the online rebate, I expect it no later than mid December. But even then who knows.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Bolt was rather stiff when I first picked it up.
    Disassembled and cleaned it really well then oiled it up.
    It's pretty slick now, and getting smoother as I work it.

They are supposed to be guaranteed M.O.A. or better out of the box.
    They were also named Guns and Ammo's "Rifle of the year" for 2016.
    I figured for sub-$200 I could take a chance.

I'm not disappointed.

Gun of the year in 2016.....the same year they had a recall because they fired if you closed the bolt hard enough after you adjusted the trigger or hit the butt hard on the ground....and the same year that they shipped I think 4 months after what T/C said they would.

Every T/C bolt gun has been cursed by at least 1 recall. Icon, Dimension, Venture, Compass.

That being said, they red loctite the **** out of the thread protector, and they're a light handy rifle and I'd choose one over a Remington 770 or 783 any day

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Gun of the year in 2016.....the same year they had a recall because they fired if you closed the bolt hard enough after you adjusted the trigger or hit the butt hard on the ground....and the same year that they shipped I think 4 months after what T/C said they would.

Every T/C bolt gun has been cursed by at least 1 recall. Icon, Dimension, Venture, Compass.

That being said, they red loctite the **** out of the thread protector, and they're a light handy rifle and I'd choose one over a Remington 770 or 783 any day

I saw the recall notice after I had received my Compass.
    I noticed somewhere that any rifle that had been re-worked would have a red star stamped on the box as evidence of corrective work had been performed.
    I dug the box out and there it was, a nice red star in a circle on the I.D. label on the end of the box.

Any manufacturer can have recalls, in fact most do.
    Thompson has been well known for years for producing quality firearms, and recalls notwithstanding, still do in my opinion.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We picked up one of the .243 models today. As you guys have said, hard to pass up with the rebate making it less than $200. I'll have to check the box for the red star.

We haven't shot it yet, but my husband was fairly impressed with how it looks.

Have any of you received your rebate yet? I have mine ready to send in tomorrow and just wondered how long they are taking.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    We picked up one of the .243 models today. As you guys have said, hard to pass up with the rebate making it less than $200. I'll have to check the box for the red star.

We haven't shot it yet, but my husband was fairly impressed with how it looks.

Have any of you received your rebate yet? I have mine ready to send in tomorrow and just wondered how long they are taking.

You takin up coyote hunting, Mom?

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I picked up the Vortex scope bundle in .308 this weekend. Mostly excited to be able to mount a suppressor on the end of it. You're almost paying more to have a barrel threaded than the cost of this whole rifle after rebate.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    You takin up coyote hunting, Mom?

I may have to get a chair to put out in the hunting condo and keep the hubby company. He hasn't been seeing any the past few nights but I'm sure they'll be back. We hear them all around us. That .243 would be a nice gun for me to shoot...nice padded butt on the stock too.

Where is everyone getting their Compass? I'm interested in getting one in the 6.5 Creedmore. Seems like a cheap way to try out that round.

We got ours thru Cabela's cyber Monday sale.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Where is everyone getting their Compass? I'm interested in getting one in the 6.5 Creedmore. Seems like a cheap way to try out that round.

I have a 6.5 Creedmore waiting for me at Cabelas right now. Been too sick this week to go pick it up. Black Friday/Cyber Monday or whatever they had them marked at $275(before the $75 rebate)so I ordered one in. They offered 11 different calibers iirc but .223 was not one. .22-250 was the only .22 cal available so I decided to try a 6.5 just for the heck of it.

Top Bottom