http://www.wikiwand.com/es/Ludwig_Vorgrimler

images

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

I apologize, patience. I think I meant to translate it for INGO then the phone rang.

I know people get butthurt when I use non-English but it seemed appropriate here.

The 1st paragraph is what I am referencing. It reads (roughly, I am not fluent in Spanish, but I study) in English:

"Dr. Ludvig is the man most commonly associated with the design of the Spanish CETME rifle and its derivatives of the semi-hard roller lock by Heckler und Koch, such as the G3 and the MP5."

Remember the N in INGO stands for knowledge. The more we (we collectively as a culture) know about the history of firearms design, the better.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wait.

Do you mean to suggest that some ideas-of-value emanated from other than John Moses Browning or Eugene Stoner?*

In. Con. Ceivable.

* Everyone knows the Kalashnikov schmo repackaged Nazi tech under the Soviet hammer and sickle.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wait.

Do you mean to suggest that some ideas-of-value emanated from other than John Moses Browning or Eugene Stoner?*

In. Con. Ceivable.

* Everyone knows the Kalashnikov schmo repackaged Nazi tech under the Soviet hammer and sickle.

You get an A+ for the trolling attempt, but I am here to teach not argue . . . today.:D

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You get an A+ for the trolling attempt, but I am here to teach not argue . . . today.:D
    Gauntlet. Thrown.

So, while on the topic of reviving neat old weapons, isn't it true that shotguns really didn't have any military value at all.... I mean, that whole trench gun thing was a total fad.

;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Gauntlet. Thrown.

So, while on the topic of reviving neat old weapons, isn't it true that shotguns really didn't have any military value at all.... I mean, that whole trench gun thing was a total fad.

;)

I disagree. Shotguns don't even require a soldier in order to be deadly. Have you heard Kirk's story of the great "Shootrite 870 Incident"? ;)

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    My family has a connection to the guy who actually designed the Gerat 06 for Mauser-- Dr. Karl Maier. When my dad was in the Army we were stationed in Germany in the late 1970s. My dad was lucky enough to get a German hunting license in an abreviated course offered by the Rod and Gun club at our base, thanks to the Status of Forces Agreement. In the process of getting into the hunting scene, my dad met Dr. Maier, who was a big-time hunter who also had a big "revier" (a hunting lease, basically). The Maiers were very gracious and and became very good friends of my family, and we stayed in contact after the Maiers retired to Florida in the 1980s.

Anyway, I was a kid at the time, and It was only after I grew up and became a gun enthusiast (and an HK fanboy no less) that I learned the story of Dr. Maier's role in developing the grand-daddy of my HK41. What I wouldn't give to be able to have had the chance to talk guns with Dr. Maier all those years ago!

Springfield Armory Museum - Collection Record

Last edited:

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Gauntlet. Thrown.

;)

Even less useful than the bayonet, which at least still has 2 uses - field knife (1) and intermediate level of force / standoff (2) between shoving and shooting for guarding gates or prisoners.

Late war / early post war MP44 derivatives are cool from a nutty gun nerd perspective ... But unless you're reenacting as Volksturm I don't see much practical use for one, and it's a modern reproduction so the collectors value is also very limited - seems like one of those guns you're going to have trouble getting your money back out of despite everyone on the internet babbling on about how cool it is (nobody every really puts their money where their mouth is on these things).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My family has a connection to the guy who actually designed the Gerat 06 for Mauser-- Dr. Karl Maier. When my dad was in the Army we were stationed in Germany in the late 1970s. My dad was lucky enough to get a German hunting license in an abreviated course offered by the Rod and Gun club at our base, thanks to the Status of Forces Agreement. In the process of getting into the hunting scene, my dad met Dr. Maier, who was a big-time hunter who also had a big "revier" (a hunting lease, basically). The Maiers were very gracious and and became very good friends of my family, and we stayed in contact after the Maiers retired to Florida in the 1980s.

Anyway, I was a kid at the time, and It was only after I grew up and became a gun enthusiast (and an HK fanboy no less) that I learned the story of Dr. Maier's role in developing the grand-daddy of my HK41. What I wouldn't give to be able to have had the chance to talk guns with Dr. Maier all those years ago!

This has to be one of the greatest INGO posts ever. Even better than wallet, Kirk goes for coffee in SoBro, or rhino cutting himself.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

Waidemannsheil Falschirmjaeger!

I still have my MWR Guide to Hunting in Germany...time to chase the Hochwild!

Last edited:

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    Waidemannsheil Falschirmjaeger!

I still have my MWR Guide to Hunting in Germany...time to chase the Hochwild!

Thanks, Thor. Even though they were MANY years go, I still remember a lot of those days quite fondly. My dad even wrote an e-book about his hunting experiences in Germany that I'm sure you could relate to. If you're Interested, PM me and I'll tell you what it's called and where to find it (I don't want to be accused of using this thread as a shameless plug opportunity!)

Even a little kid like I was at the time had fun, and I was able to accompany my dad and Dr. Maier on the occasional outings to the Revier. And the local Rod and Gun Club at Patch Barracks used to grill up some mean bratwursts!

Top Bottom