• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    I just got my hands on my first pre 64 model 94. I have later versions but I just had to have a pre 64 also. It is a 1957 in at least 98% condition, but the receiver has been engraved. One side says from Mars-17 metal div. 3-24-57 and the other side has To. MSGT and his name. Looks to have been a gift for making MSGT rank. How bad is the value hurt by it being engraved? Looks like it was his pride and joy and only shot once in 60 years, and that is no joke!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It sounds like it's in good condition and for that era Winchester I don't think the engraving will hurt the value at all. Congratulations on a fine rifle.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    Thanks, I think it is kind of neat to know who the first owner was and that it was a gift for military achievement. It was a odd name so I did some research and he was a from California and passed away in 2000. He was born in 1924 and that same name was used for 3 generations. I got it from a shop in Las Vegas and it looks like a family member pawned it. Some people just don't care about sentimental value of anything.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks, I think it is kind of neat to know who the first owner was and that it was a gift for military achievement. It was a odd name so I did some research and he was a from California and passed away in 2000. He was born in 1924 and that same name was used for 3 generations. I got it from a shop in Las Vegas and it looks like a family member pawned it. Some people just don't care about sentimental value of anything.

Also pretty cool that you know that as well!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Things don't always carry sentimental value into another generation. I found a Colt Officers Model engraved as a prize for ISP shooting competition in 1959 in a pawn shop in Georgia.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I just got my hands on my first pre 64 model 94. I have later versions but I just had to have a pre 64 also. It is a 1957 in at least 98% condition, but the receiver has been engraved. One side says from Mars-17 metal div. 3-24-57 and the other side has To. MSGT and his name. Looks to have been a gift for making MSGT rank. How bad is the value hurt by it being engraved? Looks like it was his pride and joy and only shot once in 60 years, and that is no joke!
    The engraving may actually increase the value a bit, as opposed to detracting from the value. Nice piece, and interesting story behind it.

* But don't shoot that Remington ammo thru your Winchester. That's a "rifleman's sin"..... :):

Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    Congrats on the pre-64 find. I have a '51 in 30-30 and mid 40's in 32 Spl. and love 'em. It's amazing how well they shoot and function for 60-70 year old guns. I also have a '68 Teddy Roosevelt and while not pre-64 it's nice too.

Top Bottom